Just Got HIP! Triple HIP!!! :D

onemoretime

I know, right? Water damage usually means mold and that's why I started getting cold feet too. I shared some high-res pics with the speaker tech and he basically said he'd buy them from me as-is with no questions. Turned out there really wasn't water damage per se, just some marring from water on the surface of the veneer that can be brought back. There was also a patch of over-eager sanding on the other cabinet, but they should turn out OK. I should have confirmation this week and will update this thread if anything further is needed.

The Heresy cabs will need more work than the Cornwalls. I want to remove the ugly stain job, there's some damage to the 7-ply edges on the two long side panels, and when I take out those eyelets the holes they made will also need some attention. What material do folks generally use when patching the natural cabinets?

4 hours ago, onemoretime said:

I know, right? Water damage usually means mold and that's why I started getting cold feet too. I shared some high-res pics with the speaker tech and he basically said he'd buy them from me as-is with no questions. Turned out there really wasn't water damage per se, just some marring from water on the surface of the veneer that can be brought back. There was also a patch of over-eager sanding on the other cabinet, but they should turn out OK. I should have confirmation this week and will update this thread if anything further is needed.

The Heresy cabs will need more work than the Cornwalls. I want to remove the ugly stain job, there's some damage to the 7-ply edges on the two long side panels, and when I take out those eyelets the holes they made will also need some attention. What material do folks generally use when patching the natural cabinets?

Glad to here about the Cornwall's. You got a great deal.

I was listening to mine last night for the first time in a long time and enjoyed them tremendously.

When you get them back you will be hard pressed to want anything else. Just my opinion of course.

Tom

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tom b. 57 said:

I was listening to mine last night for the first time in a long time and enjoyed them tremendously.

When you get them back you will be hard pressed to want anything else. Just my opinion of course.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Between the Cornwalls and the Heresy trio, I should have a well-mated setup for home theater. I really like the fact that the Cornwalls and Heresies are three-way, each two horns and a woofer. As it is I'm digging the three Heresies as mains and center channel there. 

But now what to do about my 2-channel rig?? :unsure: At the moment, it's just a pair of KG 3.5's to go with my Odyssey monoblocks.

8 hours ago, tom b. 57 said:

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Between the Cornwalls and the Heresy trio, I should have a well-mated setup for home theater. I really like the fact that the Cornwalls and Heresies are three-way, each two horns and a woofer. As it is I'm digging the three Heresies as mains and center channel there. 

But now what to do about my 2-channel rig?? :unsure: At the moment, it's just a pair of KG 3.5's to go with my Odyssey monoblocks.

7 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Sounds like time for some Klipschorns.

Tom

• Like 1

On 8/1/2016 at 11:35 PM, onemoretime said:

Well, looks like I had one of those legendary Craigslist days ............................
Serial numbers all start with "84" and then the serial numbers (e.g. 01292). Does that make them HIP I or HIP II? If HIP I, does anyone have specs?

How can anyone complain about a lack of bass in Heresy speakers? .............. Are these a different spec from the standard Heresy 1?

I guess you'll have to listen to some Heresies.  Yours appear to to be derivatives of an HII.  If you had heard the HIPs shown in the .pdf above, you'd also understand the bass comment.  They have little response below 100 Hz, but easily run at 102-103 dB/w/m.  The woofer in an HIP is an EVM12L.  The network is a modified Type AA.  If yours don't have these components, they are not original HIPs.  Still a GREAT catch!

HIP Woofer.pdf

• Like 1

I dug up some old photo's of my HIP-II.  You should be able to tell if you have HIP I or II simply by looking at the banana plugs in the back.  Mine are clearly marked HIP-2.  Once again I have to state for the record that these make AWESOME center channels.  The vocal reproduction is outstanding on these models.  By the way I had to take these photos because when I originally purchased the speaker and posted that information here, no one believed me that this model even existed :)

Laters,

Jeff

hip_ii_beforepaint.jpg

hip2proof.jpg

On 8/12/2016 at 8:25 AM, John Albright said:

I guess you'll have to listen to some Heresies.  Yours appear to to be derivatives of an HII.  If you had heard the HIPs shown in the .pdf above, you'd also understand the bass comment.  They have little response below 100 Hz, but easily run at 102-103 dB/w/m.  The woofer in an HIP is an EVM12L.  The network is a modified Type AA.  If yours don't have these components, they are not original HIPs.  Still a GREAT catch!

HIP Woofer.pdf

I've been meaning to open one up, and your post gave me the nudge I'd been waiting for.

Here's what I found: woofer is K-42E, mid is K-55M, tweet is K-77, and crossover network is type HIE. I think this is a much larger magnet than on a typical Heresy, so that may explain why I have no complaints as to bass. I do run a Hsu Research VTF-3 Mk IV sub, so that probably doesn't hurt either. I believe the porting is on the bottom for these HIPs, based on the plywood platform under the woofer. Can't pull the front grills easily due to trim wood pieces nailed to the cabinet edges...

We continue to be impressed with the performance of the HIPs, currently serving as mains + center in my home theater. We recently watched "Saving Private Ryan" on DVD and the tank scenes were jaw-dropping. Incredible sound as well from "Despicable Me" on Blu-Ray - detailed, musical, full-figured tonality. Simply wonderful.

Heresy HIP_onemoretime_K-42E woof_K-55 mid_K-77 tweet_type HIE crossover.jpg

Theses are the specs I got from Klipsch on the HIP-2:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 
•60Hz - 20kHz±4dB (-10dB @ 55Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic 

SENSITIVITY: 
•102dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic 

POWER HANDLING:  
•250 watts (38.7V) 

MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 
•125dB 

COVERAGE ANGLE: 
•90° Horizontal x 60° Vertical 

DIRECTIVITY INDEX:  
•8dB ±2dB 

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 
•8 ohms, 6 ohms minimum @ 8kHz 

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:  
•700Hz and 6kHz 

INPUT CONNECTIONS: 
•Red/black five-way binding posts

DIMENSIONS: 
•21.8" (55.4cm) x 15.875" (40.5cm) x 13.25" (33.6cm)  

WEIGHT: 
•49 lbs. (22.3kg)

Laters,

Jeff

Yup the woofer is different.  The speaker is rated at a higher power rating hence the fuse and more robust woofer (250W Max vs. 100-105W Max).  I have in my notes that they use the K-42-KP woofer as opposed to the K-22 or K-24.  It is the pro version of the Heresy woofer and adds increased power handling at the expense of low end bass performance.

Laters,

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eq_shadimar said:

Yup the woofer is different.  The speaker is rated at a higher power rating hence the fuse and more robust woofer (250W Max vs. 100-105W Max).  I have in my notes that they use the K-42-KP woofer as opposed to the K-22 or K-24.  It is the pro version of the Heresy woofer and adds increased power handling at the expense of low end bass performance.

Laters,

Jeff

I don't know what low end performance I'm giving up with these. If the HIPs have less bass than the Heresies, I really don't see why anyone in their right mind would complain about the bass these little speakers are capable of!!

4 hours ago, Tom Mobley said:

I was referencing the shelf port.  looks just like a miniaturized Cornwall.

Yes! That makes perfect sense.

As it turns out, I picked up a pair of cheap Cornies the same week which will take over HT main duties once they've been re-coned. I really like the fact that the HIPs and Cornwalls are both three-way designs, and both have cone woofers and horn mids & tweeters. I cannot wait to get them in line and report back!

On 8/12/2016 at 8:49 AM, eq_shadimar said:

I dug up some old photo's of my HIP-II.  You should be able to tell if you have HIP I or II simply by looking at the banana plugs in the back.  Mine are clearly marked HIP-2.  Once again I have to state for the record that these make AWESOME center channels.  The vocal reproduction is outstanding on these models.  By the way I had to take these photos because when I originally purchased the speaker and posted that information here, no one believed me that this model even existed :)

Laters,

Jeff

hip_ii_beforepaint.jpg

hip2proof.jpg

They're in great shape - very nice!