Khorn new owner and thanks

I first heard Khorns in about 1988 or so.  I was blown away, and I never forgot it.  Couldn't afford a pair, but I was in my 20's and money was tight...

Fast forward to today.  I'll be 50 in a month and I recently found a pair about 3 miles from my house.  The job situation has changed over the years and I can afford them now.  The asking price was on the high side (I think), but it was a single owner, 1967 vintage, and I drove over and had a listen.

To be honest, it wasn't really fair.  They weren't pushed up against corners, they were driven by a less-than-stellar amp & choice of music, and they were all mids.....  but the finish - it was *perfect*.  These things had been seriously cared for cosmetically, just beautiful, and I just knew that there was life in them somewhere.  The owner is now 75 and is deaf in one ear.  His wife was there too.  Both sweet people, but from hearing Khorns before I knew it wasn't right.  They didn't seem to notice.  The decay had happened slowly over the years, and I truly believe that they just accepted it as if nothing had changed.

After listening to them and looking at them and working out a price, they're mine.  The deal gets settled later this week with cash in hand.  The guy needed to know they'd go to a good home - he was as adamant about that as he was the final price.

I got home and called Bob C.  I ordered new woofers, new tweeters, and a crossover repair kit.  I've been doing electronic design professionally for 30 years and I knew I could do the repairs myself.

So, here I am.  Like an expectant father, I await the Khorns.  The woofers & tweeters & crossover caps arrive on Thursday, and I go get the speakers on Friday.  Thanks to Bob C. for talking to me on the phone on Sunday and analyzing what I told him and breaking it down to a set of restorations.

I can't wait.  I only have a tiny room to put them in for now, but it is a start.  I always wanted a pair of Khorns, and I'm days from having them.  I think I'm in the club now!

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum. Great to hear you got those babies. Let us see pics. 1967s I would advise checking the air tightness of the woofer chamber. Not hard to do PM me or call I can walk you through it.  Looks like your getting the Ks in tip top shape good luck.

Awesome story... you will love them.

I think you might have brought them home, integrated them before buying parts... I am pretty sure the woofers are still good. Not as confident that the networks are operating as well.

Congratulations ! They are beautiful . 

I heard Khorns in the late 70's and they hooked me on the Klipsch sound . Like you it took me some time (mid 90's) to get my first pair.

I still haven't acquired any Khorns like you :(

Welcome and Enjoy !

• Like 1

Those look stunning as others have commented. Congrats. You immediately went for new woofers and tweeters? Do you know if there is anything wrong with them? Do one up grade at a time is my advice. Like rework just the crossovers first, maybe even just one side and listen to the difference between old and new. When you want to upgrade that squawker horn to a tractix check out fastlane audio replacement horns.

BTW make sure all connections to the crossover and drivers are good and solid, 50 years is a long time. Ok 49 whose counting?

Welcome to the forum.