Harman kardon tube receiver

dtr20

I am hoping someone here knows something about this receiver. This is my first tube amp. There is a bunch of switches I've never seen before. I think the model is fa3000x. I'll take anything info you have. Also how long are you supposed to let the tubes warm up before they hit their peak?

305fb0dfc8bd6fbee9b87820f044efff.jpge40f870a9ebb835d7b6b9f2af9ad09f8.jpgf3cdccf9f26bcb956130124604eb9ca4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

If the receiver hasn't been restored, I recommend that you don't use it.  There's too much potential for component failure which could have devastating consequences.

Maynard

My guess is that it had never been restored. The guy had it playing when I got there. I picked it up for $50 with a cabinet/console thing, turntable (probably junk), and some realistic solo speakers. What is considered restoring the receiver, changing caps and tubes? How much am I looking at spending roughly? 

• Like 1

The loudness control is the volume, of course. The <contour> switch about it would change the eq as the volume is changed. Usually, as you turn the volume down, the bass and treble will roll off. With the contour switch on, as you turn the volume down, you should still have a reasonable tonal balance. The <rumble> switch would help filter out bass from the turntable, which can be troublesome. The <scratch> filter should do the same for the high end, to help with dirty, noisy LPs.

I would guess at least $300 to have Craig or some other tech knowledgeable person go through it. That is probably low, but could keep it from going up in flames and keep the output transformers from getting destroyed. Since it only cost you $50, just about whatever you spend would be worth the money. Very cool piece!

Bruce

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Let us know what your tech advises.  I have an "Award Series" HK that has a similar faceplate.  My receiver has not been updated either.  The tuner section "drifts" some.  It is a handsome unit though.....

Will do, the tech has it now, but he is backed up on work. It may be a week or two before I get my detailed quote.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...