AA networks...

Schu

13 hours ago, dBspl said:

While I guess that is possible, I don't believe that was the case. It also doesn't seem logical that you would attenuate the mid-range 1.5 to 2 dB and leave everything else alone.  However, I also never really understood how a deviation of 1.5 to 2 dB over the entire pass-band of the K-55 driver could happen. That's going beyond normal production tolerances. 

I would have to look, but I seem to recall the changes from the AK-2 to AK-3 were relatively modest value changes.  

Kerry   

I would agree, yet I'm wondering if it was an error or adjustment?  IMO, its seems the run time of the 2 series would be too long if it was indeed an error.  1.5-2db really makes a difference on the mid to my ears. After having a set of AL-3's in LS's in play for about 13ish years and then picking up a set of K's with AK-2's, it was a big difference. I was glad to be introduced to the 3 series first. Sure would be nice to find some response charts on the new 4 and 5 series from an LS or K speaker.

25 minutes ago, Max2 said:

1.5-2db really makes a difference on the mid to my ears.

Yes, it does.  In fact it's even more sensitive in the 1.5-6 kHz region.  Just look at the equal-loudness curves.  In my experience, getting the frequency response flat within a dB or two is extremely important in these frequency bands.

Most hardware companies that I've been around don't make changes in production hardware configurations unless there is a serious show-stopping problem.  I think that these factors preclude quick changes due to "shifts in listener preferences" in practice: the inertia of the hardware supply and retail chains are just too great. 

If it were software, however...

Chris

• Like 1

On 8/29/2016 at 8:01 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Or roy.....and you assume waaaaaay to much. 

I like that. I should have said "momentarily surprised."

Probably still in development at the time, or my memory fails me, but I"m not that old yet. LOL.

Even so, the current networks are far more complex than the original A and AA which I enjoyed for over 30 years. Either way, they  held their ground for decades.

Am I still assuming too much, Mr. Chief? Either way I'm glad you are poking your head into this forum once in a while.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

Yes, it does.  In fact it's even more sensitive in the 1.5-6 kHz region.  Just look at the equal-loudness curves.  In my experience, getting the frequency response flat within a dB or two is extremely important in these frequency bands.

Most hardware companies that I've been around don't make changes in production hardware configurations unless there is a serious show-stopping problem.  I think that these factors preclude quick changes due to "shifts in listener preferences" in practice: the inertia of the hardware supply and retail chains are just too great. 

If it were software, however...

Chris

So are we, as 80 db listeners, boosing our bass by 30 db at 20 Hz. to meet the demands of the curve in a real room? I think those curves were done for headphones, NOT rooms with subwoofers. Comments welcome.

While that wasn't actually what I referring to, your comment about headphones is actually interesting.  Many people do not know that hearing changes significantly when you put on headphones, i.e., the human ear canal is normally an open-ended tube tuned about 3-4 kHz .  When you put on headphones, it becomes an enclosed space that's tuned to another frequency, and suffers from "eardrum bounce".

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

While that wasn't actually what I referring to, your comment about headphones is actually interesting.  Many people do not know that hearing changes significantly when you put on headphones, i.e., the human ear canal is normally an open-ended tube tuned about 3-4 kHz .  When you put on headphones, it becomes an enclosed space that's tuned to another frequency, and suffers from "eardrum bounce".

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

Chris

While a good pair of headphones allows for superb tonal definition, there is no substitute for feeling your calf muscles getting massaged by a good subwoofer system. I have almost $15,000 tied up in doing frequencies below 50 Hz. to a believable degree. Even with tapped horns of near 100 db/w efficiency, it takes lots of power to go down there in the high teen frequencies, for sure.