AA networks...

Schu

48 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Those look nice, "Schu"!  Your own handiwork?

I like the 10 post landing block.  Allows flexibility to rewire for bi-amp capabilities...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

I'm glad Dean got these to you. I'm sure they will be as much a sonic work of art as they are a visually appealing product.

Bruce

• Like 1

I see you don't have the zener protection circuit or a polyswitch. I assume that means you don't feel they are necessary. It makes sense that a manufacturer would protect theirs to reduce claims on blow tweeters, but for individuals, you know damn well when you are driving things too hard. If you blow a tweet, you buy a tweet. Am I right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mustang guy said:

I see you don't have the zener protection circuit or a polyswitch. I assume that means you don't feel they are necessary. It makes sense that a manufacturer would protect theirs to reduce claims on blow tweeters, but for individuals, you know damn well when you are driving things too hard. If you blow a tweet, you buy a tweet. Am I right?

You are right good sir...

I am not likely to get into the high nineties let alone over 100dB...

I have as yet hooked them up, but I expect great things. Having as simple of a circuit makes sense to me personally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mustang guy said:

Suppose I need to say something. 

Klipsch used to offer a lifetime warranty - until piles of tweeters started showing up on their doorstep. This was back in the days of Phase Linear and Dynaco 400s - where a turn/off transient could easily take out a K-77. Then of course you also had the frat and block parties. Solid state has come a long way in 40 years. 

I've built over 500 Heritage networks over the last 12 years, and no one has ever lost a tweeter. ALK has built hundreds more, and we aren't getting any complaints out of that corner either. The original Universal had a fuse, but that was for the K-33, not the tweeter.

The best tweeter protection is judicious use of the attenuator. C'mon people, can't you tell when a driver is in a state of distress?

I do add the zeners for those that tell me they like to listen really loud. Seriously though, the third order filter section does really well on its own. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Matthews said:

Those look nice, "Schu"!  Your own handiwork?

I like the 10 post landing block.  Allows flexibility to rewire for bi-amp capabilities...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Adding more wire doesn't do anything positive and one good amp sounds better than two. Passive biamping is a waste of money. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:11 AM, The Dude said:

I take it these are for your Lascala II's.  If so were there any changes made to accommodate the different mid driver and tweeter?  Either which way, I am curious to here your impressions.

The K-55-X is the Atlas PD5-VH. The current driver is IDENTICAL to the push pin K-55-V (single port phase plug) of years past.

The Type AA was also used with the K-55-V with the two port phase plug. It will also work with the K-55-M, as well as the John Allen A-55-G. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

Just out of curiosity why do you guys like the AA?

I have AL-3's in the front and AA's in the back in my shop. I used to prefer the AL-3, but a few weeks ago I noticed I liked the music coming from the AA's better than the AL-3's. I play music in full mono, so I can here them at the same time. The AA's sound brighter where I think the AL-3's have a slight edge on voice clarity.

16 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Just out of curiosity why do you guys like the AA?

Hi Chief Bonehead!  Don't I know you?  :D

It's what Klipsch is supposed to sound like! 

My first contact with Klipsch was in Audio Systems in Nashville, around 1976.  I was in the "room of things I might afford" and heard a thunderstorm.  Dang, it's not suppose to rain!  Went outside and found a sunny day.  Went back in and found the storm.  It was "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" played through an SAE preamp and power amp driving 2 K-horns (with Type AA crossovers).  Amazing!  Later my bell-bottom jeans were flapped by Santa Esmerelda's "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", yet we could still, sort of, talk over it.  WhAAAAAA!   :o  This 

For me the Type AA has a balance across the audio spectrum that sounds "right".  The sounds blend to seem realistic to the point you are sucked inside a movie or concert.  My guests agree.  They even impressed my high-end audio dealer who didn't want to have to hear them (he was used to overdriven La Scalas in clubs).  They are not forgiving of poor recordings, but seem to let detail be heard in good ones.  I remade my Heresy I center channel crossover to be similar to Type AA (like the HIP) to match the sound as much as practical.  In my old house my 1981 La Scalas tested +/-4 dB from the sub crossover to 14k.  How much better do you want? 

I had a second pair with Type ALs.  Ugly, honking, resonant on French horns.  Brother has those with new crossovers. 

I liked the La Scalas with Type AL-4 crossovers I heard briefly in Indy, one year, but I would want to sit and listen to a few recordings over Elijah Craig to decide how well I liked them.  

O.K. ....... Interesting and uncommon response.  What frequency does your meter use?  Or, is the inductor wound on a steel bobbin? 

I think I remember testing my Tweeter inductors and the brass screw changed the inductance a small amount.