Anybody else streaming audio with Raspberry Pi?

Shade

After my recent adventures with Raspberry Pi, was wondering if anyone else here has tried streaming with this as well.

Have a Pi 3 with hifiberry dac + pro in my 2 channel setup now. Running Runeaudio to primarily stream FLAC (occasional MP3 use as well) over the network. Pi's onboard audio was pretty bad, but the quality with the DAC is pretty nice. And the convenience factor is high.

Anyone else with a similar setup?

• Like 1

Long time Squeezebox server user here, and yes, I have several Raspberry Pi players with the R Pi 7" screen running PiCorePlayer feeding a NAD 725BEE Receiver that drives my K-Horns. The DAC is a Chinese version of the Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9023 and sounds good.

Back in 2005 I was looking for a way to digitise my CD collection and happened on this post https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?PHPSESSID=9ojbvrbrk772kfub6qkmmuvs16&topic=38242.msg337788#msg337788           and have used Squeezebox servers ever since.

Looked that up on google a bit. Looks pretty slick with a screen interface.

Digitized my CD collection around the same time, but always used HTPC solutions for playback previously. Enjoying working with the Pi, lots of options and they've multiplied.

• Like 1

Long time Logitech Squeezebox user.  I have about 5 squeezebox duets and I have replaced most of them with Raspberry Pi 2 and 3's.  I control them with iPeng software on my iPhones and  iPads, occasionally a web interface or the Squeezebox controllers.  I used a raspberry pi image called Max2Play, which makes it super easy. The Pi's sync properly with other Pi's or squeezeboxes.  This approach generally requires you to create an account on Logitech and have Logitech Media Server running on your home network.  This can be a NAS or a home server, or the Pi itself and with Max2Play it is as simple as a few clicks on the Pi.  One advantage the Pi's have over the SqueezeBox Duets is that the Pi's have an HDMI out.  So you can plug that into your receiver and even get video of what you are listening to.  The only disadvantage of the Pi's is that I have to re-boot them every so often (~2 weeks) (annoying), especially when my wife calls me at work and says "it's not working".  I love using the Raspberry Pi this way and I just bought a couple more yesterday to finish off my conversion and set up a system for my daughter.  I use mine to listen to Spotify, Pandora, Podcasts, radio stations, and music stored on my server.  You need paid versions of Pandora and Spotify. I used to subscribe to Tidal for lossless streaming so that works too.  Using the HDMI out obviates the need of a DAC for me as I am pushing the raw digital into the receiver over HDMI.  It's really awesome.

Agreed, the HDMI out is pretty ideal. Was using that on my HT system while testing Runeaudio & Kodi (HTPC app). 

My 2-channel setup is a tube amp though, so I needed the DAC. The hifiberry does a surprisingly good job for the money, and uses the GPIO pins instead of USB which is nice.

Haven't had to do any reboots on mine yet (fingers crossed).

• Like 1