Pro-ject

mr.pee1

I have a Pro-Ject PerspeX Turntable with a Sumiko Black Bird Cartridge.  I don't think it's totally broken in yet but what I've heard so far is impressive.  I'm in the process of setting up a two channel system in an up-stairs room that has become available, (kids gone) and look forward to spinning more vinyl on the Pro-Ject.

I have a 2Xperience Classic in olive wood with an external Speed Box.  It might be the nicest table anyone can buy for under $1500.   And I've helped a few buddies pick out their own Debut Carbons.  It's hard to go wrong with Pro-Ject - they pack a lot of value into their turntables and they are sold so widely that deep discounts are common.  And they use pretty nice OEM cartridges too.  Nevertheless, I replaced the stock Blue Point 2 on mine with a Denon DL-110 to get a smoother sound with better frequency extremes.  Pro-Ject's phono preamps are not that great of a value in my opinion.  I had one and quickly replaced it with the Vincent PHO-8 twin chassis preamp.  The main complaint I've heard from Pro-Ject owners is motor hum but I've successfully eliminated it on two different Pro-Ject tables (my other one was an RPM 1.3 "Genie") by adding damping material in and around the motor.  Careful placement of the motor is key.  Also, make sure you oil the bearing well (a good quality synthetic engine oil works well).  You'll know when you've put enough in when a tiny bit leaks out after you drop the platter/spindle in place.  A dry spindle bearing will reveal itself as a subtle "grinding" noise audible between tracks and during headphone listening.

olive.jpg