New to me speakers - '95 LaScala Industrial

Fellow Klipsch comrades, I am happy to share that I got a pair of LaScala Industrial this weekend. These are my first and while I love my current set up of Forte II's, in the limited garage listening time, the LSi's (in my opinion) definitely have better detail to the sound and the dynamics are quite impressive.  They are the single piece and in pretty good shape -- no damage to the doghouse and the drivers are all within specs.  I will be entering them in to a rehab program and once completed they will be placed in the living room to displace my Forte II. 

I want to share and give special recognition to Matthews and JimJimbo, both of these guys are BEYOND awesome. Both of these guys provided some great advice and I wouldn't have felt the same level of confidence in getting the LSi's if it hadn't been for these guys.  Thanks a million!!!

So the plan for rehab is as follows:

1. Paint a fresh couple of coats of duratex
  2. Buy some Crites tweeters
  3. Buy new caps to refresh the AL-3's.
  4. Buy some aluminum trim

All told, i think I anticipate spending about $275 to get where I want to be. Any additional thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. 

And yes, I'll be documenting the rehab process...

-Alex

SN.jpg

AL-3.jpg

Inside.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Best way to get in touch with W.C. is by phone.  He rarely responds to emails and doesn't frequent the forums much.  He has way too many projects going on, especially trying to finish his new store in Woodruff, SC.

15 hours ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

I am happy to share that I got a pair of LaScala Industrial this weekend.

It was a pleasure talking with you, Alex.  Very happy it all worked out.  You got a very nice score there my friend! 

Keep us all posted :emotion-21::D:emotion-21:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: Mookie may be able to help with your aluminum trim.  He did his own DIY LS trim last year and they turned out fabulous.  It would be my guess he is willing to help ya out.  Give him a shout...

I did the poor man's version of the aluminum trim. I simply took 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle and cut it  beveling the corners. I have a fab shop at work and this stuff is laying around everywhere. You can get it at most hardware stores. Where are you located. There a dozens of places near St. Louis that stock it. I used stainless steel screws and a little Locktite adhesive caulk (clear) to hold it in place. Probably about $20 worth of aluminum. (Sorry for the sideways photo, new format ya know)

alumtrim.jpg

• Like 4

You can also anodize the aluminum yourself at home, which could be nice looking and prevent the oxidation of the aluminum.

They are already really nice looking the way they are. I would, personally, just leave them without the trim. They will still look great.

Bruce

• Like 1

There are a few LSI threads in the Pro/Commercial forum I posted years back about refurbishing these cabinets. I'd put new woofer door seals in there and make sure to crank down the woofer screws while you're in the doghouse (woofer bin).  You can get the material from Parts Express. 

The speakers already have a pebble paint texture to them. WHen using the Duratex, if you want to be certain to use a LOT of material, use their roller (sarcasm).  If you don't want to add a super bumpy texture, just use a short nap 6" x 1" poly roller ( the kind sold at Lowes for trim).  I've coated 8 double 18 subs and 8 EV tops with one gallon of Duratex two coats, by this method. Otherwise you'll burn through a $70 gallon pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

JMON -  yep...assuming you're referring to the "Klipsch speakers" posted last week without any reference to them being LaScalas (or for that matter LSi's) then you'd be correct. 

Colterphoto1 & Schu - both of you gentlemen are correct regarding the tweeters. JimJimbo is correct with the planned replacements.  When I removed the tweeters, they were manufactured by Motorola and couldn't locate a model number. If interested, I can post a pic. 

Good call having Matt and Jim advise you before buying. That way things like the tweeters don't surprise you. I was on the fence on doing the trim and to be honest, if it wasn't so readily available to me, I probably would not have done it. Once it was on, I definitely prefer it. The official trim with corner pieces does look nicer, but can be hard to find and when you do, they usually want an arm and a leg. I may do the nose of the dog house someday but kinda like the way the bin disappears when painted matt black. Here are a couple photos with and without the trim. (got one right on the rotation this time!)

aa2.1.jpgaa.jpeg

• Like 2

Not up on casters but did add 1" rubber feet from PE. I will attempt a close up of the Duratex but don't have a decent camera, just a worn out iphone. Since yours already has a texture to it, I would thin the Duratex with water before rolling on. That way it wont get too much of a grain. Test a small area, possibly on the back, first to see. Mine were bare wood / Bondo before I applied the finish. I also sprayed the dog house as I did not think the roll on finish in that tiny angled area would turn out very well. I used a black laytex and added a little silica to give it a slight texture.

acloseup.jpg

• Like 2