Altec Mantaray

colterphoto1

Altec MR II 594 is the model of the horn. According to articles, an improvement on the old 511B (less resonance and better HF dispersion).  Sounds like could be a great match up for my A7 cabinets, some JBL 18" bins or any number of projects. About 22" wide, 12" tall. 1.4 exit throat mated perfectly to the Altec 908-8b drivers (an improvment on earlier aluminum diaphram designs 'rock and roll duty' made to not blow up as easily under hard loads. 

• Like 1

I used 902-8Bs (less power, higher highs) on 511Bs as HF on a pair of Peavey FH-1s.  Results were good, though the 902 needs a very steep crossover at 500 Hz.  Much better at 800 - 900 Hz. 

I tried them for a short while as a substitute for my La Scala's top end.  The VHF was softer.  The mids were comparable.  A nice driver combo and I can see how many people like the 80x /90x /511B combo.  If you have an "improved" 511B, you could have a great squawker.  Seems like the 908 only goes to about 12k, so you may want a tweeter or EQ.

My understanding is the MR-594 fits Large-format 288/291 drivers with 1.4" throats requiring adaptors for 1" 800/900 drivers.

The correct horn for 1" [MR-994] is rare, used in A15 VOTT, M-500, 9815 only. Molded GE NORYL - see the specs!

With Room EQ & BiAmping - the Stacked A15's will absolutely keep up with JBL K2-M9500's! 

Well everything in that photo is gone except for the A6's I will never sell those they are mint and stock down to the driver support rack that is usually missing on them . As for the rest of the speakers in the photo they are gone and have been replaced with Danley Sound Lab's. A  pair of SH96HO's and 4 DBH218 subs and a pair of the SPL td-1's the early version of the SH46 . 

HIFI Heaven. Brought home a digital multimeter today so i can check them all, put in matched pairs ( I have 10 total units, all pass audio signal), got the bird guard 1/4" hardware cloth off them and cleaned up. 

These are the 12x24" mantaray horns with 1.4" throat adapters and drivers COMPLETE! 

I have a pair of Altec A7-500 bins with  horns that I'd like to make operational again. So interested in two Altec 15's and networks if those are in your store room? 

• Like 1

Prices please on the horns/adapters/908's?  I PM'd my request on 8/17 - probably forgot to click on something...

I prefer voice communications - ham radio guy since 1960 - as I talk much faster than I type!

Cheers, NØCRE  "Can't Remember Everything"  Steve in Minneapolis