TAD-4002 Stereo Plunge

JustAuBy

Well I'm in it now.  Went for a pair of TAD 4002's and got them.  Why not right?!  He also threw in a pair of Dave Harris' Eliptrac 400's for a good price.  I purchased an EV DC-One electronic crossover 2in/6out as i plan on integrating a subwoofer in the future.  My music sometimes dips into Daft Punk and others of the like.  Still do not have a bass cabinet although i've been talking to a Jubilee clone builder.  Also thought of using the Altec 817 bass bin, any thoughts or experiences with this?  Still looking for a guy to veneer in St. Louis and possibly build small cabinet for the Eliptrac 400's.  Just super excited to get this project going and completed.  

Well congrats.!!!......sounds like your having fun and the TAD 4002 and EV DC-One are definitely excellent building blocks for your system...:emotion-21:

Have you thought about painting as an option versus veneer?

Don't forget to post plenty of pictures as you progress.... here are a couple of my K402/TAD 4002.

miketn

Zebrawood Jubilee HF.jpg

Z-Jub K402.jpg

• Like 2

Schu, you looking for the price of the Jub clones or the Altec 817?  

Mike, Those are beautiful.  Would love to get my hands on a K-402/KHJ combo.  Do you have any comparisons for reference?  I don't know of anyone close that has this that i can hear it.

23 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Well congrats.!!!......sounds like your having fun and the TAD 4002 and EV DC-One are definitely excellent building blocks for your system...:emotion-21:

Have you thought about painting as an option versus veneer?

Don't forget to post plenty of pictures as you progress.... here are a couple of my K402/TAD 4002.

miketn

Zebrawood Jubilee HF.jpg

what stand and backing is this on the 402's?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:44 AM, JustAuBy said:

Mike, Those are beautiful.  Would love to get my hands on a K-402/KHJ combo.  Do you have any comparisons for reference?  I don't know of anyone close that has this that i can hear it.

Well the comparison question is much more complex than it might first appear to someone....!!!

Can you give an idea of what system comparisons would be helpful to you?

I've had many 1st hand experiences with the K-402/KHJ with various HF drivers on the K402.

I've owned or experienced most of the Heritage and Klipsch cinema line.

I've also listened to many of these systems in multiple rooms of my own as well other environments.

So with all that being said I want to add a caution because you see this happen on all forums where opinions about the sound of loudspeakers are discussed.

It is extremely important to take into account the listening environment the loudspeaker is placed in. The majority of home listening environments exhibit coloration and masking effects that will prevent a listener from hearing the best reproduction that is possible from any loudspeaker design unless efforts are implemented to control them..!!!

So my advice to anyone asking for comparisons of loudspeakers is you must also know all that is possible about the context that leads to the opinions expressed about the reproduction from loudspeakers.

miketn

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the progress so far.  I have accumulated the following through second hand sources and many weeks of negotiating prices.  Extremely happy with where i am on my budget and the quality items I've been getting.  

(2) Eliptrac 400 Horns

(2) TAD 4002 Compression Drivers

(2) Altec 817 Bass Cabinets

(4) JBL 2226H LF Woofers

(1) EV DC-One Electronic XO w/ DSP 2in-6out

I know there isn't any Klipsch in there but i figured i'd post it here since reading your guys forums and projects really got me started with the bug.  Pictures to come in the following weeks of everything together.  I have to drive to Tulsa to pick up the Altec 817 cabinets, they were so cheap i figured a road trip won't be so bad.  Once i get everything together i'll be saving for the winter to finish the cabinets and build a top box for the Eliptrac 400 horn.  Cheers.  

IMG_1189 (1).pdf

IMG_0843 (1).pdf

IMG_0325.pdf

KIMG0222.pdf

rqq3mvoiholqpuczsvca.jpg

IMG_0323.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Took a journey to Oklahoma City, OK this weekend to pick-up the Altec 817 cabinets.  They are in excellent shape and i was really surprised out how stout they were.  My girlfriend was not exactly excited when i asked her to help me bring them to the basement.  Also picked up a KT120 OTL tube amp, my first OTL amp so i'm interested to see how they sound on the HF TAD-4002 drivers.  I will be using my Benchmark AHB2 for the JBL 2226's and my Crown XLS2000 to power my subwoofers.  I'll  post some pics of the Altec 817 cabinets once i have a minute to dive into them.  I do have a question on the crossover however, are there recommended EV active crossover information here for the TAD-4002?  I remember reading something about this connected to a jubilee bass bin.  Thanks.

The crossover information for TAD 4002 is when that driver is mounted on a K-402 horn. Those settings would not be appropriate for the horn that you have. Since you are  in uncharted waters with the horn / driver / bass bin combination you will need access to a measurement system. Hopefully, someone who owns one and has successfully set up an electronic crossover can help you. 

In my limited experience I will tell you that setting up a crossover is much easier when the components (horns) are CD (constant dispersion). Not that it makes it simple, but it does lessen some of the headaches. The bad news is that the horn you chose is not a CD horn. 

My friendly advice is that given some of the component choices you have made, approach the crossover setup with a very strong reliance on measurements (both on-axis and off-axis, in both the near-field and far-field). Any reliance on "doing it by ear" should be reserved for the final tweaking and used very sparingly. IOW, there are a few ways to get it right and many ways to get it wrong.