Just laughing outloud at this high-end nonsense

rgdawsonco

1 hour ago, moray james said:

I am glad to read that you have figured out how to build a good sounding power cord. All you have to do now is to build one and test your theory. No one was ever sorry they bought a better anything. Spend your money wisely.

What I described actually exists, at least in claims.  I'll have to do some searching, can't remember what it is.  

51 minutes ago, BLSamuel said:

I'd have to agree with that.... but the PS Audio power regenerators make sense to me.  Protection for the system and a clean 60 HZ sine wave, or an exaggerated sine wave to better handle transient peak requirements of the music if my limited reading in STEREOPHILE (OK, they did promote green magic markers to make CDs sound better.... amongst other nonsense).  lol

What I don't understand about the regenerators is that it is basically the exact same thing as a double-conversion pure-sinewave online UPS, but without the battery.  Why aren't people all about those?  It's the same thing.  The ones branded as regenerators usually have more power, otherwise it's the same thing.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BLSamuel said:

Well a lot of people diss the green marker pen.  There is some sense to it as green would probably neutralize stray reflections.  I have other things to worry about before that will help.  Like getting some low level hum out of my system.  What's a good brand of green marker.  I steam my used LPs and does seem to clean them up and haven't noticed much in the way of warp except possible edge warp on a very thin Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits album.  Might have been there to begin with.  Might have added it.  Look clean.  Still doesn't dig out stuff like the wood glue does but I've yet to get things organized enough to do that.  

I really hope I can't hear a difference between decent thick copper speaker wires and expensive speaker wires.  My budget says it's thick enough, it's not green, you're good to go. 

I do have a couple of copies of the Dire Straits CD that to me sounds good.  So now I'll have to try the green marker.   I'm happy I have decent CD and DVD players.  Cheap one's sound fine to me.... except of course all the mechanical noise.  Especially when they shut off listening to late ... waking me up.  And gasp.  I even listen to mp3.  Most at Creative Lab's 60% or 100% compression.  I can tell a difference I think.  But a better headphone amp is a bigger difference to my ears - especially when out on our crazy LOUD Cub Cadet 2185 lawn tractor.  > 100 db with the mower running by stock RS meter and phone's I've used.  Closer to 110.  That's with a new muffler but I do need to reattach the side panels.  Should silence things by a few dB but need to replace the battery that's about shot so have to jump start.  

And as far as power cables... the Pangea cables look to be at least much better constructed than standard.  

p.s. all my comments just my 0.2 dB  opinions YMMV   I'm happy I can hear a difference between my Heresy 1 Extremes (GMLA rebuilt) and Tannoy SRM 12Bs.  

If I may, going by the looks of the build is ok to get your interest but it probably won't tell you much about the sound. you have two good ears for that use them for all they are worth.

• Like 1

More "interesting" language about power cords if you're into that sort of thing. :)  

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/three-power-cord-upgrades/

" During The Wasps overture, they reproduced the brass section in all its airy intensity from the transient bite emanating from the mouthpiece of each trombone to the golden bloom shimmering outward from instrument’s bell. They captured textural information that grounds images to the stage with superior focus and without the disadvantage of added etch or brittleness.  "

LOL, wut?  

• Like 3

Here is what I dont get about expensive power cords- the last 3 ft from the wall to your amp may be a $6,000 super unobtanium double stranded helix alloy but as soon as you hit the wall, you have run of the mill electrical cord that goes to the power box?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

More "interesting" language about power cords if you're into that sort of thing. :)  

" During The Wasps overture, they reproduced the brass section in all its airy intensity from the transient bite emanating from the mouthpiece of each trombone to the golden bloom shimmering outward from instrument’s bell. They captured textural information that grounds images to the stage with superior focus and without the disadvantage of added etch or brittleness.  "

LOL, wut?  

works for me go listen to the symphony.

" The signature of the Au24 is sophisticated—complex, controlled, detailed, with a neutral-to-cool character. The Audience established the widest, cleanest soundspace, broadening the proscenium to the boundaries of the loudspeakers and inflating the ambience of immersive acoustic recordings like the Elgar and the Rutter with flurries of soft air and top-end extension. "

goodness.  That's one hell of a cord.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Here is what I dont get about expensive power cords- the last 3 ft from the wall to your amp may be a $6,000 super unobtanium double stranded helix alloy but as soon as you hit the wall, you have run of the mill electrical cord that goes to the power box?

if I put some bitter butter in my batter, will it make my batter bitter? YES. this stuff is not hard to figure out by listening but it is hard to understand. everything has some amount of impact. resistors capacitors diodes switches connectors wire tubes transistors mosfets brands styles you name it they all sound. If you put bitter sound into your system it will make your system bitter.

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

" The signature of the Au24 is sophisticated—complex, controlled, detailed, with a neutral-to-cool character. The Audience established the widest, cleanest soundspace, broadening the proscenium to the boundaries of the loudspeakers and inflating the ambience of immersive acoustic recordings like the Elgar and the Rutter with flurries of soft air and top-end extension. "

goodness.  That's one hell of a cord.  

that is a good description of those cables. I have a customer who uses those in his downstairs surround system.

16 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

LOL, wut?  

Ok the article was kind of funny but the comments, oh man the comments are pure gold. NoFunnyStuff is my favorite so far, little did I know that my peasant and unwashed ears could not possibly enjoy the finer esoteric arts of cable construction? :lol:

This is one of the best:

"Are your speakers laser aligned with your listening position for both azimuth and inclination?"

Translation- "I paid a guy $4000 to put a laser pointer on top of my speakers to make sure they were pointed at my head."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

What I described actually exists, at least in claims.  I'll have to do some searching, can't remember what it is.  

What I don't understand about the regenerators is that it is basically the exact same thing as a double-conversion pure-sinewave online UPS, but without the battery.  Why aren't people all about those?  It's the same thing.  The ones branded as regenerators usually have more power, otherwise it's the same thing.  

Are they the same thing?  My UPS units are just inexpensive APC so I'm sure they aren't that sophisticated.  Anyway the one big enough for our stereo is full of dust and overheats and may need a new battery so may be time to buy a new one.  1250 VA bought at Sam's a few years back.   

And currently, a 90's Technics receiver is used inside and Proton D1200 outside..... I think I need to switch that back or get my Carver A-705X back in service but some mice got in it or under and/or over it.  Cleaned out everything.  Need to swap sides on the (double pole?) power switch as the side in use is worn out.  

Our AC is normally about 127 volts (Furman PL Plus DMC with voltmeter and ammeter).  It's power cable is attached so that's would be the limit.  I currently use an older Furman model PL Plus for extra outlets primarily and to use as power switch when the Carver was in use with flaky switch.     

So maybe I should wait for trial sale from MLO for trying better power cables?  .  But given the above I'd think any power cable improvement over the Furman's would be lost?

And I probably need green paint as opposed to maker ink for the CD edges?  Willing to try.  But got to get system back to it's best configuration.  

my 0.2 dB YMMV 

and Indiana's electric I've been told by the contractors Duke energy hires to put the control boxes on our AC is some of the dirtiest in the country but in North Carolina they said it does kind of look like a 60hz sine wave.  Guess I need to get down to the electronics surplus and buy an oscilloscope and learn how to use it.  

17 minutes ago, twk123 said:

But one can put in better electrical wiring.  I think dedicated circuit(s) are recommended with hospital / medical grade outlets, or audiophile grade if you've got the budget.  

6 minutes ago, BLSamuel said:

Are they the same thing?  My UPS units are just inexpensive APC so I'm sure they aren't that sophisticated.  Anyway the one big enough for our stereo is full of dust and overheats and may need a new battery so may be time to buy a new one.  1250 VA bought at Sam's a few years back.   

Yeah, Sam's probably wont' have double-conversion UPS's. :) Look at something like a SurgeX UPS-3000-OL.  Why aren't audiophiles all about something like that?  It's a regenerated pure sine wave, what does a regenerator that is marketed to audiophiles get you that this doesn't offer?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BLSamuel said:

But one can put in better electrical wiring.  I think dedicated circuit(s) are recommended with hospital / medical grade outlets, or audiophile grade if you've got the budget.  

hospital grade has been certified it is not any better than the same plug without the certification you can buy non certified (or green dot) plugs the same part less cost. Don't waste your money on green dot. just buy the part that is the same but not certified you don't need the certification the Hospital does.

always good to have more dedicated lines than you think you will need. Every duplex should have two dedicated lines just like in the kitchen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moray james said:

If I may, going by the looks of the build is ok to get your interest but it probably won't tell you much about the sound. you have two good ears for that use them for all they are worth.

I try to.  And surprisingly they seem to work pretty well.  So green marker for CDs.  Or is it more like green paint.  If nothing else it can't hurt anything and might be a good way especially with used CDs I buy to identify those I"ve polished and/or cleaned up. :)   And if you can hear a difference.  Maybe I can too.  If ti improves error correction or get less data loss it would be real easy to hear.  Probably more subtle than that?  

My wife and our youngest daughter have serious hearing issues but work around it.  Especially Alea.  I can hear female voices at least crazy good, and the water percolating in our back yard after a heavy rain at least in the area of our septic's finger system.    My mom lost the hearing in one of her ears at about 51 so I'm been paranoid but so far so good.  

Over the years your posts seem to be sensible and believable.  I think STEREOPHILE made fun of the green markers?  In any case they are back to publishing pretty serious measurements.  

my 0.2 dB YMMV

36 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Yeah, Sam's probably wont' have double-conversion UPS's. :) Look at something like a SurgeX UPS-3000-OL.  Why aren't audiophiles all about something like that?  It's a regenerated pure sine wave, what does a regenerator that is marketed to audiophiles get you that this doesn't offer?  

No idea.  I'll try to check it out.  The PS Audios are ?, $2,500 and $5,000 the lower one only pure 60 hz.  The more expensive more power output and exaggerated sine wave, more in the $5000 unit.  

Well the SurgeX has more current capability and built in UPS.  A lot higher capacity too.  Seems to be a much better value.  And if something like the PS does a better job would I be able to hear a difference?  Maybe I suppose in the roided up 60 hz size wave.  Probably not with my old ears.  

So a bit less expensive at TEquipment than Full Cmopass.  I've purchased a couple of things from Full Compass.  Just up the road in Fort Wayne.  Arrived the next day or day after.  Bought an Tascam 24/96 digital audio recorder from Sweetwater (musicians and pro audio nirvana)  also in Ft Wayne and it arrived the next day.  

Thanks for the info.  I'm an IT guy with over 25 years experience (ibm z/os mainframe - real computers - not server toys lol) and well I wanted to upgrade UPS and better power is well always a good idea.  Without much research, I would think the SurgeX keep a nice constant 120 volt or a tighter range than 127 I get now. 

my 0.2 dB YMMV

the rack mount option is what I'd go for.... a local radio station where a very good friend has worked upgraded their broadcast system ... not really.  Does not work together.  New system ... 1944 era audio board and smelly stinky EMF generator.  AC that does not work.  No emergency lights when power goes out... uh, shouldn't a radio station have a UPS?  Newish owners must be CLUELESS.  She's fed up and may be going to internet radio soon using crowd funding.  And maybe with another friend.  And I'm going to be their tech guy.  Something like the SurgeX would be one of the first things to guy.  She also has CD collection from Indy station that gave it to her as part of her severance a few years ago.  Only problem, she's been forced to disability to get her medical conditions taken care of (totally BS workmans comp and more) so can't earn crap.  OY!  

the 1000 VA seems a bit small.... the 2000 VA may be enough for what I have now at home and more but the 3000 VA would be the way to go.  Now to conjure up some $

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BLSamuel said:

I try to.  And surprisingly they seem to work pretty well.  So green marker for CDs.  Or is it more like green paint.  If nothing else it can't hurt anything and might be a good way especially with used CDs I buy to identify those I"ve polished and/or cleaned up. :)   And if you can hear a difference.  Maybe I can too.  If ti improves error correction or get less data loss it would be real easy to hear.  Probably more subtle than that?  

My wife and our youngest daughter have serious hearing issues but work around it.  Especially Alea.  I can hear female voices at least crazy good, and the water percolating in our back yard after a heavy rain at least in the area of our septic's finger system.    My mom lost the hearing in one of her ears at about 51 so I'm been paranoid but so far so good.  

Over the years your posts seem to be sensible and believable.  I think STEREOPHILE made fun of the green markers?  In any case they are back to publishing pretty serious measurements.  

my 0.2 dB YMMV

there are a host of marker pen tweaks audio asylum has a good tweak section.marker pen ink is easy to remove paint not so much. I am not going to get into the nitty gritty about this tweak I don't have the time but yes pens work and different colors sound different.

Sorry to hear about your family hearing issues take care of your ears you only get one set. I like audio reviews only if they have nice pictures. Those reviews are bought and paid for. There are some Asian reviews very high end where the reviewers are totally independent and make their living from their word not all are bought but most are. Thanks for the kind words. have fun and do some listening and see what your ears tell you. Regards moray james.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moray james said:

there are a host of marker pen tweaks audio asylum has a good tweak section.marker pen ink is easy to remove paint not so much. I am not going to get into the nitty gritty about this tweak I don't have the time but yes pens work and different colors sound different.

Sorry to hear about your family hearing issues take care of your ears you only get one set. I like audio reviews only if they have nice pictures. Those reviews are bought and paid for. There are some Asian reviews very high end where the reviewers are totally independent and make their living from their word not all are bought but most are. Thanks for the kind words. have fun and do some listening and see what your ears tell you. Regards moray james.

This is all about fun isn't it.  And well getting the music to sound better. 

I can enjoy music on a small Admiral off white AM radio I had years ago.  Was our Horny Corner Loaded Puny Acoustical Reproduction Apparatus when I roomed with a still good friend a few weekends for Indiana State 4-H Band.  He was amazing.  I could mostly hold my own.  But compared to Tom?  psssst.  Yeah I can enjoy music on that.  But for a few hundred dollars one can get sound that well, sounds like music.  MUSIC=LIFE

So more colors than green?  So what happens if stripe like a Rainbow?  It would look kind of cool if it made a cheap CD player go up in smoke.... maybe the benefits of all colors? 

I'm of the opinion that as long as a cable is built to a reasonable spec, it's as good as it's going to get. What I mean here, is that if I try to power my 200W x 7 amp with 40g wire, there's going to be a problem. As long as you're meeting the electrical requirements, that's it.

They already sell audiophile power outlets. What's next, directional 8g wiring in wall? Audiophile fuse box? Anyone really think they have audiophile grade service from the power company?

People are free to spend their money how they choose, and if they enjoy having that "high-end" power cable, good for them. But it's not for me.

• Like 3