R-12SW crossover frequency with Klipsch speakers

GamerBear

Hello,

Back in March I bought a Klipsch Qunitet IV speaker set followed by a Klipsch R-12SW. I am using a Sony STR-DH540 (probably not the best) but I had it for a while and it seemed to do well with the previous speakers I had hooked up to it. So for a while I've been trying to figure out the correct crossover frequency. Right now I have center channel at 70Hz and the front and surround at 80Hz, something tells me I probably have that set wrong.

Then for the subwoofer this what I have the the knobs set to.

BrlnAbd.jpg

I'm still a newbie on the low pass I probably have it set incorrectly. Is the gain too high? Do I have the Low-Pass set wrong with these speakers? I have been noticing that in some movies that when a strong amount of bass the sub would cut out for like 2 seconds and then come back is that the receiver doing it or the sub? I suppose that is called phase cancellation? Also I have my volume set to 38 on the receiver if I set it to something lower like 36 it doesn't do it. Do I need to turn down the subwoofer? On the receiver I had set the dB to -3.0 some times -5.0. What am I doing wrong?

Again I never imagine that I would be so confused at these new settings on a sub, the last sub I had was a $100 dollar one with an on/off switch and a knob for the gain. Thanks if anyone can be so kind to guide me in the right direction for setting the correct settings.

I had them set to 60Hz, so that is way too low for them to be set at? So I set the crossover over on the sub to LFE? A guy at a tech store told me to set them between 40Hz and 80Hz. Even with that setting I was hearing phase crossover between the sub and the speakers.

14 minutes ago, GamerBear said:

Weird when I set the speakers to 100Hz I was getting phase cancellation on the sub. :(

I'm not quite sure how. In order for cancellation to occur, the speaker and the sub have to be reproducing the same sound but out of phase with each other.  Have you ever tried to play a 100Hz sine wave and see if you can hear anything out of your speakers?

When I watch a movie like Batman v Superman, when Superman flies into the air the bass from that makes the subwoofer cut out for 2 seconds and then when it goes into next scene when Batman is flying his Batwing the bass from the subwoofer comes back. I'm not sure what that is called or why it's doing it. Again this is all new to me and it does it on other movies too like The Dark Knight.

I think I might have the right settings but I'm still unsure I am not hearing any kind of clipping from the amp or the sub going out when it's playing movies. But if I'm not suppose to have these speakers go lower than 100Hz I have them set around 60Hz for the main and surround and 70Hz for the center channel. With the sub I have the Low-Pass set to 40Hz and the Gain set to the middle. Are these settings wrong or bad?

You are overdriving your sub and it is going into protect mode. You should turn the sub gain to about 11 o'clock, the Low Pass to LFE and run Auto Calibration on the AVR. 

The AVR will make all of your settings for you. If this still overdrives your sub, then maybe you should put your sub in a corner of the room to get corner loading gain, and re-run the Auto Calibration.

Well it looks like I had the center channel cross over set low (70Hz) could that be the reason why it was doing that? I try to stay away from Sony's auto calibration the receiver set my center channel at -3.0dB so I tried to do without it.

So I set my mains to 120Hz, my center to 100Hz and my surround to 120Hz, changed the sub to LFE setting.

6 minutes ago, GamerBear said:

Well it looks like I had the center channel cross over set low (70Hz) could that be the reason why it was doing that? I try to stay away from Sony's auto calibration the receiver set my center channel at -3.0dB so I tried to do without it.

So I set my mains to 120Hz, my center to 100Hz and my surround to 120Hz, changed the sub to LFE setting.

Sorry I don't know what all you have been through thus far so maybe the following won't be digested well. Please hear me out anyway.

Running Auto Calibration is a good way to set a base point for all the speakers based on the room modes, capabilities and cross-speaker interaction. Once the calibration is done, you can pull up a chair and tell the folks here what you don't like about what you hear. You are overdriving your sub and this has a lot to do with the fact that you are trying to do this without measurements. The Auto Calibration gives you that and lets you adjust to your own likings. I have read your manual, and I am convinced you should try Auto Calibration and at least tell us where it sets everything including crossover points and gain adjustments. 

Sorry for the late reply, I had did the auto cal and I said I could set it to three calibration types, Full Flat, Engineer, and Front Reference. I'm not sure what to set them at so I had sent them to Full Flat. It turned my center channel down a bit, even though it still has the crossover frequency to 120Hz. I did set the subwoofer to LFE.