Genesis of the KHMA

As you’ve probably heard, there is a move afoot to preserve Paul W. Klipsch’s legacy remaining with Klipsch Group, Inc.  I say “remaining” because New Mexico State University obviously has a large portion, and the estate of Valerie Klipsch undoubtedly has a considerable portion.  The portion remaining at Klipsch is due in large measure to Paul’s pack rat tendencies.  He and the company were as near synonymous as one could imagine for over four decades.  Things continue to surface in “nooks and crannies”. 

In late March, discussions with Christy Luquet got around to the topic of “What happens when Hunter is gone?”  This was a result of discussing my impending retirement at the end of this year, as well as my efforts to at least “thin down the herd” of museum holdings in order to make room to locate the paper archives within that building.  You know, get all the old crap in one place!  Ms. Christy (as you might imagine) suggested that Klipsch should donate the building and contents to a charity that we should form.  On 3/31/2016 we held our first exploratory meeting.  In attendance were Christy Luquet, Kevin Harmon, Travis Williamson, Dave Mallette, Marshall Muros, Jeff Matthews, Matt Sommers, and me.  The “working group” (WoG) for the development of the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc. was born.  Over time the WoG has seen a few members added and/or “retired”, but all contributed considerably while they were involved.  Those three are Marshall Muros, Frank Dudek, and Roy Delgado. 

The past four months have seen an incredible effort by the WoG and Klipsch Group, Inc. to establish something that is every bit a business venture.  In this relatively short time we have established our “Mission, Vision, and Goals”, an impressive Board of Advisors, a 20-page set of by-laws, incorporation, and all but a couple of positions on our executive committee and Board of Trustees.  On 7/13/2016 the WoG had its final meeting.  My 7/20/2016 letter of appreciation to the WoG follows:

To all,

I want to extend my sincere appreciation for your efforts in creating the KHMA, Inc. to honor Paul W. Klipsch.  Now that we are at the stage of having officers, the Working Group is officially in retirement.  However, I plan to keep all of you “in the loop” going forward.  I announced at the Pilgrimage that the idea was Christy’s.  As PWK would say, “That was like waving a bull in front of a red flag!” (as far as I was concerned).  I wonder if Paul is amused or honored at our efforts?  He was always a big supporter of education, with numerous scholarships funded from at least as early as 1960.  Hopefully our STEM-leanings will appeal to him. 

We have come an incredible distance in 14 weeks.  Everyone on this team has contributed significantly.  In addition to the initial idea, Christy has kept us “market-focused”.  Kevin has made one road trip and is preparing for a second.  Dave’s input from another fledgling non-profit has been invaluable.  Frank’s financial skills are still guiding us.  Marshall’s early input continues to be referenced.  Jeff’s “proofing” of legal documents has put us on a very secure legal footing.  Travis has sewn up his life-time pro bono quota!  And then there’s Roy, PWK’s protégé! 

Trustee invitations are expected to go out on 7/25.  Several of you are “on the list”.  The first four trustees (essentially “predestined”) are Klipsch employees Jim, Roy, Matt, and Paul.  So without anyone declining an invitation, there’s only three up for grabs.  All of you are deserving, so now I get to make the hard choices. 

This “non-profit thing” certainly has taught me the complexity of starting a business, which I suppose “Incorporated” suggests……  Again, thanks for all of your hard work! 

Jim

Direction of the KHMA continues under our Executive Committee:

Jim Hunter, President

Kevin Harmon, Vice President (President of Vice, as PWK would say)

Christy Luquet, Secretary

TBD, Treasurer (we do have a couple of leads)

with Travis Williamson, Legal Counsel

Our Vision statement reads:

Our vision is to foster interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics through the examples of Paul W. Klipsch.

Our mission:

The Klipsch Heritage Museum Association’s mission is to restore, preserve, maintain and display Klipsch and Klipsch-related artifacts and archival materials for historic purposes, as well as to conduct pertinent research and to host educational activities and events.

Keep an eye on www.klipschmuseum.org.  It is just a place-holder currently, but Luther Ward and Chad Wells (Klipsch Group) have big plans under development. 

Tax exempt status from the IRS will be solicited shortly, which, with approval, will allow us to indicate that your contributions will be “tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law” as Travis would caution us!  Until then we will limp along financially.  And if you’re in the neighborhood, come see us at the Hope Watermelon Festival August 11-13!

• Like 10

• Chad featured and pinned this topic

I am so glad to see the level of dedication and support that each of you are investing to bring this about. I will be happy to support the effort financially when the non-profit status becomes official. Looking forward to updates as they are posted.         

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just wanted to say Thank You to Jim Hunter and everyone for all the work, The story and history of PWK definitely needs to be preserved, I have only heard a very small part of it and he really is quite the legend.

PWK was a special man, not even counting his accomplishments, I have never talked with so many people who have the greatest respect and admiration for one person. This last week in Hope, representing Klipsch and the new museum at a booth at the watermelon festival we got to talk with many who worked with and for him over the years, and it's amazing the respect everyone has for him.

Thank You Jim, Roy and everyone who has worked on this and knows the real stories,  Mr Paul's achievements and all the history is to important to be forgotten.

Thank You

• Like 1

On August 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM, dtel said:

I just wanted to say Thank You to Jim Hunter and everyone for all the work, The story and history of PWK definitely needs to be preserved, I have only heard a very small part of it and he really is quite the legend.

PWK was a special man, not even counting his accomplishments, I have never talked with so many people who have the greatest respect and admiration for one person. This last week in Hope, representing Klipsch and the new museum at a booth at the watermelon festival we got to talk with many who worked with and for him over the years, and it's amazing the respect everyone has for him.

Thank You Jim, Roy and everyone who has worked on this and knows the real stories,  Mr Paul's achievements and all the history is to important to be forgotten.

Thank You

why Elden...is all that rain turning you into a softy? Nicely said tribute. will you write my obituary?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Nope, and positively no to the obituary.

BSM you would like all the old speakers in the museum, PWK never threw away anything. Jim Hunter has a crazy amount of papers, graphs and pictures to make the museum really special. He has so much it will never fit and it can be rotated which will also keep things always new.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 8/20/2016 at 5:50 PM, dtel said:

Jim Hunter has a crazy amount of papers, graphs and pictures to make the museum really special. He has so much it will never fit and it can be rotated which will also keep things always new.

Not to mention also there's this stuff (sitting directly behind my desk @ Klipsch HQ)

IMG_20160822_081510.jpg

IMG_20160822_081517.jpg

IMG_20160822_081627.jpg

• Like 1

I might be a little with this but IF the tax exempt application or other papers are filed through the Cincinnati office of the IRS, that Federal Building is just a few blocks from my office. So is any errands need to be run over there, I'm all us for it (not to mention I'm an Ohio and Kentucky notary at large).

Hi Mighty Favog,

Thanks for the offer of support!  The IRS application has been made online, so I'm not sure where it will be processed.  If it is in Cincinnati, I doubt that physically "rattling their cage" would be appropriate!  But we'll definitely keep you on the "hit list" when things get rolling.  Expect to see some general solicitations for KHMA support in the coming days.  We have big plans and will need a variety of skill sets to accomplish them.

All who have been following this should know that KMHA projects began well before the KHMA.  I've been transferring PWKs tape archives now for several months.  They are incredible and his engineering of stereo in 1954 remains competitive with the highest resolution recordings of today and superior in aesthetics. 

It's my hope that ownership of these will be transferred to the KHMA.  That will make releasing as many as possible much easier!

In the meantime, it's an honor and privilege to be a part of this work.

Dave

• Like 2

• Chad unfeatured this topic
  • Moderators

Could not be more proud of this group of individuals that I have been privileged to work with. 

I'm happy to announce that the Klipsch Heritage Museum Asdociation has officially been designated as a non profit organization by the IRS. 

We we will be actively seeking volunteers to fill various committees in the next few weeks. We need forum members to volunteer to chair these committees. 

In addition, we are diligently working on numerous projects to bring financial stability to the museum. We look forward to sharing these ideas and projects with all of you in the very near future. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...