Olympics 2016

wvu80

59 minutes ago, oscarsear said:

Nonstop commercials.  Nonstop Bob Costas.  The Olympics have become a commercial vehicle and a politicized forum.  

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

The only thing I watched so far was the NBA all-stars verses China, which the NBA won something like 120-60.  It was on one of the obscure 3rd rate NBC cable channels, I think NBC Sports Network, or something like that.

In any case there were far LESS commercials than usual because each side got 2 time outs per half and they can't be carried to the next half.  No TV timeouts, no 20 second time outs.  That means the basketball game was played as if you went to your kid's high school game, meaning the game was played until a normal stoppage of play.

I don't follow much else.  I don't care about swimming, gymnastics or beach volleyball in my normal life.  Why would I devote my entertainment time to care about it now?

I saw where our Women's Rugby team lost to Fiji.  I have a hard time caring about that.

If I have to listen to the non-stop commercials, Bob Costas and the political agenda of the left (the sports guys are the worst) then I have even less incentive to watch.

I can't type any more right now, I've got to get back to watching USA vs Egypt in Fencing.

USA women's soccer beat France 1-0 thanks to outstanding work by Hope Solo.   But yeah, the main NBC network coverage is insanely horrible, refusing to show popular events live without editing.  This was predictable and commented upon way before now.  The fun stuff hasn't been mentioned yet.  A kayaker was capsized when he hit a submerged sofa.  A stray bullet hit the media tent at the equestrian center.  I can't wait until the games are held in Syria.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

USA women's soccer beat France 1-0 thanks to outstanding work by Hope Solo.  

But yeah, the main NBC network coverage is insanely horrible, refusing to show popular events live without editing.  This was predictable and commented upon way before now. 

I see what is being said about the live events and then commercials being artificially inserted.  I didn't realize that. I think I am getting Olympics on NBC and then two NBC cable stations.

The fun stuff hasn't been mentioned yet.  A kayaker was capsized when he hit a submerged sofa. 

A stray bullet hit the media tent at the equestrian center.  I can't wait until the games are held in Syria.

Geez!  :o

I gotta get back to watching.  Korea (I have no idea who they are, North or South) is going up against Taipei in Women's archery semis.  Fascinating stuff.

Is Taipei really a country?  I thought they were Chinese, where the heck are they from? :huh:

2 hours ago, 2point1 said:

Wake me up if the ribbon twirling or that thing where they swim around and do the same moves comes on. :rolleyes:

They are still with us. 

Here are a couple of backgrounds for your dual monitors:

gr.png?interpolation=lanczos-none&resize

sy.png?interpolation=lanczos-none&resize

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, oscarsear said:

Nonstop commercials.  Nonstop Bob Costas.  The Olympics have become a commercial vehicle and a politicized forum.  

Just recently they have become politicized?   1936 Hitler, but ruined by Jessie Owens (clearly the Gold) Mexico City, Munich (remember that one, probably the Silver for political) Moscow, we boycott, '84 in LA, they boycott, Atlanta  (Bronze), and on and on.  

Various obvservations:

1. Rio is a ghetto.  

2. Opening ceremonies always zoom in on the hot people.  Hot chicks for sure, they're going to get a lingering zoom.  Otherwise any square jawed dude, especially bare chested ones ones lathered up in baby oil, are going to be treated the same.  

3. Katinka Hosszú's husband scares me, although I admire his enthusiasm to cheer like nobody's watching, even though the world was.  I can't imagine that this isn't anything but a very controlling relationship though.  

4. The shooters are getting overlooked, possibly treated unfairly.  How many stories have you heard about shooters whose last name wasn't "Thrasher"?  That's what I thought.  

5. Karch Kiraly is still awesome, even when he's not playing, and has thinned up and has gray hair.  

6. Really wish they'd stop treating all the refugees as heroes, especially considering how they are portraying it by playing up the family and female aspect.  The vast majority of so called refugees are young men who are moving elsewhere for economic reasons.  They are doing their best to portray it in a different light than what is reality.  

• Like 1

7. Racking up medals in swimming is kind of silly.  It's the equivalent of winning a gold medal in the 100 yard dash, just for them to say ok now we're going to run it backwards, hand out a medal, run it sideways, hand out a medal, "run" it on all fours, hand out a medal...