Olympics 2016

wvu80

13 hours ago, FuzzyDog said:

I happen to enjoy watching beach volleyball...:ph34r:

OK, ManCard is is the mail!  :)

Seriously, what do you get out of watching those woman digging sand out of their bathing suits on every play? 

It would seem a little scratchy to me...:huh:

+++

I haven't been watching any Olympics stuff.  Did we win?

On 8/8/2016 at 1:11 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Various obvservations:

1. Rio is a ghetto.  Well, there's a shocker....I guess you hadn't read anything about Rio in the....let's see....2 or 3 years leading up to this event?

2. Opening ceremonies always zoom in on the hot people.  Hot chicks for sure, they're going to get a lingering zoom.  Otherwise any square jawed dude, especially bare chested ones ones lathered up in baby oil, are going to be treated the same.  Did you expect them to zoom in on the "hotness challenged"?

3. Katinka Hosszú's husband scares me, although I admire his enthusiasm to cheer like nobody's watching, even though the world was.  I can't imagine that this isn't anything but a very controlling relationship though.  And you received your psychology degree where?

4. The shooters are getting overlooked, possibly treated unfairly.  How many stories have you heard about shooters whose last name wasn't "Thrasher"?  That's what I thought.  Shooting is stunningly boring for the 99.9% of those that watch the Olympics, and the majority of those are women.

5. Karch Kiraly is still awesome, even when he's not playing, and has thinned up and has gray hair.  

6. Really wish they'd stop treating all the refugees as heroes, especially considering how they are portraying it by playing up the family and female aspect.  The vast majority of so called refugees are young men who are moving elsewhere for economic reasons.  They are doing their best to portray it in a different light than what is reality.  "So called refugees....."   I take it that in your opinion, economic reasons are not a valid motivator to move for young men (and women) who have nothing to look forward to in their home country?

I guess I just don't understand your overall negative outlook on this.  The Olympics is supposed to the premier athletic competition on earth, and a celebration of talent, training, commitment and sportsmanship.  Why not simply enjoy it for what it is, rather than critiquing it?

28 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And you received your psychology degree where?

Actually my wife who was watching it with me has a psychology degree and I've taken several classes.  Plus, well, he has coached other women, and they've made some public comments recently that alludes to this.  Doesn't take a degree to take heed to first person commentaries.  

"So called refugees....."   I take it that in your opinion, economic reasons are not a valid motivator to move for young men (and women) who have nothing to look forward to in their home country?

These people were lied to.  They were told all kinds of things about how rich they'd be upon moving.  So, they left their families based on this fantasy.  Upon realizing that this wasn't the case, many have opted to simply return home.  No, delusions of grandeur is not a good reason to ditch your family and enter a country under the dishonest label of being a war refugee just to get there and expect the host country to adapt to your culture and meet your demands.  There are in fact some legit refugees.  Most do not fall into that category.  

Did you expect them to zoom in on the "hotness challenged"?

It's just funny and predictable.  Yes there are plenty of "hotness challenged" people there that I'd like to see, mainly because they are super happy, as this is one of the biggest highlights of their life.  

I guess I just don't understand your overall negative outlook on this.  The Olympics is supposed to the premier athletic competition on earth, and a celebration of talent, training, commitment and sportsmanship.  Why not simply enjoy it for what it is, rather than critiquing it?

What part of Karch Kiraly is awesome, our awesome shooters deserve more respect, and I admire Katinka Hosszú's husband's enthusiasm is negative?  There's good and bad with it all, mostly good.  

21 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, there's a shocker....I guess you hadn't read anything about Rio in the....let's see....2 or 3 years leading up to this event?

A stray bullet hit tent for press members.  A kayaker capsized after hitting a couch.  A guy drove his boat through human feces.  The olympic village is pretty awful.  People are getting robbed and even abducted.  Rowers are having to bleach their oars.  Just crazy.  

• Like 1

Thank God I have CBC for the Olympics. NBC and it's affiliates are horrible. Since I lean Canadian anyways the coverage on CBC is far superior to the American coverage anyways. At least CBC covers the sporting events no matter what teams are participating. Not just "All Americans, all the time" like these US based stations. Also, the braodcasters are so over the top with their political correctness they are almost laughable.

6 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

A stray bullet hit tent for press members.  A kayaker capsized after hitting a couch.  A guy drove his boat through human feces.  The olympic village is pretty awful.  People are getting robbed and even abducted.  Rowers are having to bleach their oars.  Just crazy.  

I saw where the synchronized divers were diving into green water!  It had to do with algae or something.  Apparently the water polo people said they couldn't see the bottom of the pool!  They just kept swimmin' and divin'. 

It's the Olympics, what else are you going to do?   :wacko:

This girl is awesome, she could end up getting rich just by being a dork although she's claiming otherwise.  People spent 48 grand just to see her live stream last night, in which she apparently burped several times.  

http://qz.com/755771/chinas-athlete-of-the-moment-burped-and-ate-cupcakes-during-a-live-stream-with-10-million-fans/

41 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

This girl is awesome, she could end up getting rich just by being a dork although she's claiming otherwise.  People spent 48 grand just to see her live stream last night, in which she apparently burped several times.  

http://qz.com/755771/chinas-athlete-of-the-moment-burped-and-ate-cupcakes-during-a-live-stream-with-10-million-fans/

It's a little too weird.  Maybe mild autism?

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Michael Phelps = STUD

Come on, 20+ GOLD freaking medals. I don't care who you are that there is pretty Damn impressive.

Yeah.  I knew he was the most decorated, but what I didn't know was that the 2nd most-decorated athlete has only slightly more than half the medal count.  His lead is way out there.

I was shocked at the size difference between the Chinese and American womens gymnastics team.  The Chinese team looked like anorexic 12 year olds.  US team looked like bodybuilders on steroids comparatively, especially Ali Raisman, just some massive neck and shoulder muscles.  

• Like 1

I have to admit, it is pretty cool that FIJI won the Gold in Rugby, their first EVER medal in anything:)

If you haven't seen them, they look like a whole bunch of American-style NFL running backs playing football in the back yard with no helmets or pads.  They had some serious looking BIG and FAST looking guys on their team.

+++

I know I should be more excited about the bow and arrow competition, synchronized diving (how is that even a sport?) or golf, but I'm just not.

I'm a racquetball player and I think I really will watch the Handball competition if I can find it.  It's the closest thing to something I actually do in my real life that I can relate to.