Olympics 2016

wvu80

55 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I was going to make a joke about the Japanese pole vaulter, but I decided not to.

I'm a bigger man than that.

• Like 1

What was the deal with the ladies 400m run? I did not know sliding (head first) as if stealing second base was allowed to cross the finish line first. The American's ENTIRE BODY was the first to cross the finish line. Allyson was  robbed of the gold as far as I am concerned. I would expect clarification of the rules on this before the next Olympics. If this is reviewed and allowed I would also expect others runners to start using the technique.

30 minutes ago, babadono said:

What was the deal with the ladies 400m run? I did not know sliding as if stealing second base was allowed to cross the finish line first. The American's ENTIRE BODY was the first to cross the finish line. Allyson was  robbed of the gold as far as I am concerned. I would expect clarification of the rules on this before the next Olympics. If this is reviewed and allowed I would also expect others runners to start using the technique.

It came as no surprise to me, and I thought it was legit.  I would venture runners of that caliber running in that venue know the rules.  Maybe not.  Anyway, it makes sense that the first person to come into contact with the line, unaided, wins.

25 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It came as no surprise to me, and I thought it was legit.  I would venture runners of that caliber running in that venue know the rules.  Maybe not.  Anyway, it makes sense that the first person to come into contact with the line, unaided, wins.

If anything, that probably slowed her down.  If diving gained you that much, it would be a widespread occurrence.  The rules are that your torso has to be across the line first.  Heads don't count, outstretched arms don't count, feet don't count.  Diving on asphalt makes for good theater and she could have simply tripped, but I don't believe this to be any kind of unfair advantage.  If anything it was a testament as to how bad she wanted it.  You could see her struggling in the last 80 meters but she dug deep and gave it everything she had.  Good for her.  

15 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I get that its any part of the runners body that goes across the line first makes them the winner. But being that the sport is RUNNING I thought you had to be on YOUR FEET. I have just never seen this before and I'm no expert. But none of the commentators said anything or batted an eyelash. Perhaps PC, they don't want to hear "Oh the Americans are complaining again". Just weird to me.

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

I get that its any part of the runners body that goes across the line first makes them the winner. But being that the sport is RUNNING I thought you had to be on YOUR FEET. I have just never seen this before and I'm no expert. But none of the commentators said anything or batted an eyelash. Perhaps PC, they don't want to hear "Oh the Americans are complaining again". Just weird to me.

Yeah!  I mean, I wasn't surprised it was fair game, but I was surprised to see a runner take a dive for the win.  I was like, "Wow!  Now, that's determination!"

Overall these Olympics (outside of the host city and all it's issues) have been very entertaining and fun to watch. I just wish the athletes, especially from the Us would leave the idiotic rants of their own country at home and stick to what they have accomplished.

As far as cheating it away from Felix... she shouldn't have let that struggling girl be that close in the first place.  Every sprinter worth their salt leans hard at the last second, what's the difference?  Where do you draw the line between good racing and cheating?  So the pic below is good form but straining a little bit more to the point where you fall on your face is cheating?  

120907030104-paralympics-thurs-03-horizo

1 minute ago, teaman said:

Overall these Olympics (outside of the host city and all it's issues) have been very entertaining and fun to watch. I just wish the athletes, especially from the Us would leave the idiotic rants of their own country at home and stick to what they have accomplished.

I've watched a lot of events, but apparently missed the ranting.  I heard about the Irish boxer, though.  I missed the match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Others talking about this too...Surprise, surprise

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/shaunae-miller-olympic-track-400-meter-results-dive-allyson-felix-video

I love the first still photo in this article that clearly shows Allyson was the first to have HER ENTIRE BODY across the line. FEET and all.

I must admit; I agree with the suggestion the rule should be changed.  Ironically, if it did, the next thing we'd be complaining about is a "foul" call when a runner just runs so hard, he/she collapses forward at the finish line.  Then, what?  "Was it a dive?"  Or will there be a requirement that the runner must not fall within the first 50 feet past the finish line?

11 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

As far as cheating it away from Felix... she shouldn't have let that struggling girl be that close in the first place.  Every sprinter worth their salt leans hard at the last second, what's the difference?  Where do you draw the line between good racing and cheating?  So the pic below is good form but straining a little bit more to the point where you fall on your face is cheating?  

120907030104-paralympics-thurs-03-horizo

yea but there both still on their feet...its called running. I draw the line at leaving your feet. Sorry. just MHO.