Torn between 260f and 28f

corey klipsch

Hello everyone.I have been looking for a while.

I have a onkyo 646 with 100watts to power them.My room is  12ft by 12ft. i will be sitting about 9 ft from them. Also ear height about 40 inches. I don't have alot of room so 9.5 inch  is about as wide as i can go.Also for the 260f i can only get about 9 inches from wall.My old receiver was a 1992 onkyo.I have a cherwin vega 12inch for sub.I can get the 28f for 610 new or 260f for 639 open box  on ebay.Please help .Thanks

Corey, welcome to the forum.

I would go for the RP-260F over the R-28F.  The "reference" line is just the old Best Buy consumer oriented "icon" line rebadged while the "reference premier" line is the new replacement for the old "reference II" line.  

I'd recommend calling Acoustic Sound Design to make sure you're getting the best deal.   

• Like 2

Regardless of who carries what, the reference premier line has titanium tweeters instead of aluminum, as well as better crossovers.  The end result is much smoother / less harsh, especially at higher volumes.  Some people attribute the smoothness to the new molded silicone horns but that may be debatable.  The titanium tweeter alone is worth moving to the premier line.  I just installed a set of RP-260F's in a similar sized room in a college apartment and the bass response was surprisingly good.  Check your pm's.  

• Like 2

Very tuff choices.so would the 8 inch setup 28fs have that much more bass than the 260f?the 28f is a front firing speaker I would think that would effect the bass somewhat.I don't have access to listen to the 260f.but of course I do have a best buy near by with the 28f.They seem to sound pretty good but they don't have a good listening environment. Sure do miss circuit city

37 minutes ago, corey klipsch said:

the 28f is a front firing speaker I would think that would effect the bass somewhat.

If anything, in the audiophile world, a rear firing port is considered to be superior.  There are midrange artifacts and port noises that can come out of them.  Rear firing dissipates this and all you get is extra bass.  Bass is also omnidirectional and in a 12x12 room, it just doesn't matter which end it's firing out of.  Front ported comes in handy if you are short on room and have to put them up against a wall, that's about it.  

Thanks Scrappy.Im going to order them later today from eBay for 639$ open box.The guy says they where shipped to wrong address and returned.They still have full warranty. I would have looked into the 280f but space is a factor . hopefully the 13 inch sub will fill in low end.Also what crossover setting would you use with them 60?thanks

8 hours ago, corey klipsch said:

Thanks Scrappy.Im going to order them later today from eBay for 639$ open box.The guy says they where shipped to wrong address and returned.They still have full warranty. I would have looked into the 280f but space is a factor . hopefully the 13 inch sub will fill in low end.Also what crossover setting would you use with them 60?thanks

Make sure they are an authorized seller as to my knowledge, Klipsch warranties are not transferable.

...and welcome to the madness forum! :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Make sure they are an authorized seller as to my knowledge, Klipsch warranties are not transferable.

I just confirmed today with an inside sales rep from Klipsch that all these eBay open box / B stock speakers that are openly advertised with a big discount only have a very limited and strict 90 day warranty even if it is from an authorized seller.  

Actually it's even on their website:

http://www.klipsch.com/b-stock-warranty

You're not getting the 5 year warranty that new speakers have if you buy B-stock or open box on eBay.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, corey klipsch said:

Next?is what would you cross the 260f over to?60 ,70,80,.

Let's say I cross them over at 60 do I cross the sub over at 60?

Yes, always crossover your speakers and you sub at the same crossover point so you don't lose any sound. 80hz is a common crossover point

No do not cross the sub at 60hz you will lose a lot of info like that. You need to either disable the crossover. Or turn it as high as it will go on the sub. Let the Avr handle the crossover. If you put your towers at 60 then as long as they are set to small your mains will play 60 up and your sub will play below that plus the LFE. LFE channel plays content up to 120hz. If you cross sub at 60hz on it then you lose all that content. 60-80 is all your chest thump stuff too. So if you don't set stuff up correctly you will not get this effect 

• Like 1