Mcintosh 2105

akdave

2 channel gurus!  I am seeking input on a mc 2105.  A friends father in law has had it in storage for "a while".  He's willing to sell but hasn't named a price.  What are some things to be aware of - as of yet I haven't seen it.  I know it's an ss and not a tube, but I've not entered the world of Mac and would like to know better what to look out for.

Pics he texted me are below.  Thanks for any insights!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Why does it seem that the mc2505s are bringing more money?  On that note an djk's, for some reason the 2100s and 2105s have gone for less.  But you are in Alaska where shipping would make up a quite a bit of change.  With that being said and you are happy with $750 go for it,  if you don't want to spend that much offer $600 and see what he says.

• 6 months later...

A quick bump - an update - and an extremely inexperienced "buyer" question.

The amp is still in storage, it will not power up.  This has not been a priority for them. (I trust the sellers rep we go way back)

They think it could be a fuse, but (in my mind) with possible repair needed - any idea what a reasonable offer would be? What kind of parts/labor are common here - are they fairly easy to work on or is it tech only?  Best leave it be?

Any input is appreciated.

You'd be buying a pig in a poke.  I have no idea if there's something common in these particular amps that craps out causing it to not power up.  Shipping costs for you will be high to get it to a reputable repair shop unless you're aware of one close to you.  It probably needs to be completely gone through which is pricey.  With my luck it would be an expensive repair.  I'd offer $100 for the amp as is (DOA) knowing I'll have to shell out more immediately.

• Like 2

Has it been in temperature controlled storage? Or humidity controlled storage? If not then it could easily be something other than just a fuse… just because it's a Macintosh doesn't mean you have to buy it… Personally, my suggestion would be to find a nice MC 250 to add to your system. One of the best solid-state vintage McIntosh units ever made, and has a great Tubey signature.

Exactly the same amplifier as a 2505, just without the meters.

• Like 1

The fuse holder was pulled, look at your photo.

The large filter caps are replacements.

The power output boards and the preamplifier board are easily accessible for repair/rework.

The chassis doesn't show signs of pitting so it will likely polish up nicely.

Cage shows no dents.

If the glass isn't cracked, the meters works, the autoformers and power supply transformer are in good shape, everything else can be repaired or replaced.

It's the same amplifier as the MC2100.  The 2100 has no meters, no glass front, no meter PC board, same preamplifier, amplifier sections.

Just about every part needed can be found in Mouser.

McIntosh will provide NEW power output boards for $300 pair.

I've gone as far as designing and installing a better preamplifier board in my 2100, 2105 and 2505 (shown below).

R2_preamp_installed_3.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, John Warren said:

The fuse holder was pulled, look at your photo.

The large filter caps are replacements.

The power output boards and the preamplifier board are easily accessible for repair/rework.

The chassis doesn't show signs of pitting so it will likely polish up nicely.

Cage shows no dents.

If the glass isn't cracked, the meters works, the autoformers and power supply transformer are in good shape, everything else can be repaired or replaced.

It's the same amplifier as the MC2100.  The 2100 has no meters, no glass front, no meter PC board, same preamplifier, amplifier sections.

Just about every part needed can be found in Mouser.

McIntosh will provide NEW power output boards for $300 pair.

I've gone as far as designing and installing a better preamplifier board in my 2100, 2105 and 2505 (shown below).

R2_preamp_installed_3.jpg

Did I say "extremely inexperienced"?  I meant knuckle dragger.

Thank you for your insight!  I know many of you have forgotten more than I will ever know about the hardware, I am grateful for the feedback.

I like the fact that it's an obvious starting point for a possible solution any way.  :-)

• Like 1

Knuckle dragger....I get it.  Why buy something that you will be stressed out over, will not work from the get go, and that may require many more dollars than you ever expected to spend?  You are not experienced in electronics, renovation of vintage gear, etc, etc, etc....and that's OK.  Not many are.  I suggest to be patient, find the right unit for you, one that is not going to cause a bunch of hassle, and can be a part of your system for years to come, without worrying that it's going to become a flaming pile of poop at any moment....

• Like 1

Oh, how I feel you! Shipped without proper crating, scratchy this, popping that from my adventures with 2105, 2250, C28 and so on. In your situation and explained kindly to the owner buy at a BIG discount, buy factory shipping containers ($50-75 if I recall), find a reputable refresh person (be prepared for a long queue), order a new glass from Mc, wait and ye shall be rewarded. If it was cheap enough I would do it

or

If you want that McIntosh sound and looks (luv it!) without the above risks talk to Audio Classics (and there are others) on the phone and get a plug and play with peace of mind.

or

get that puppy, put a fuse and fuse cap in, proclaim "hold my beer and watch this", plug that sucker in (I use disposable speakers when I choose this one) but what the hey, might just be smooth as silk.

or
pick it up cheap

take quality photos

trade in to the above folks towards a plug and play unit of what ever moment in history you find appealing.

I will post this pic as an example of a USED amp I just bought near 1/2 MSRP from the above recommendation with a one year warranty and those guys would chat as long as I wanted about whatever. Jim and others have had great experiences recently with more classic models that are in glorious condition.

MC 275.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Oh, how I feel you! Shipped without proper crating, scratchy this, popping that from my adventures with 2105, 2250, C28 and so on. In your situation and explained kindly to the owner buy at a BIG discount, buy factory shipping containers ($50-75 if I recall), find a reputable refresh person (be prepared for a long queue), order a new glass from Mc, wait and ye shall be rewarded. If it was cheap enough I would do it

or

If you want that McIntosh sound and looks (luv it!) without the above risks talk to Audio Classics (and there are others) on the phone and get a plug and play with peace of mind.

or

get that puppy, put a fuse and fuse cap in, proclaim "hold my beer and watch this", plug that sucker in (I use disposable speakers when I choose this one) but what the hey, might just be smooth as silk.

or
pick it up cheap

take quality photos

trade in to the above folks towards a plug and play unit of what ever moment in history you find appealing.

I will post this pic as an example of a USED amp I just bought near 1/2 MSRP from the above recommendation with a one year warranty and those guys would chat as long as I wanted about whatever. Jim and others have had great experiences recently with more classic models that are in glorious condition.

MC 275.jpg

Outstanding amp!  Good info - I've offered $100 as is - we'll see what happens.

35 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

MC2105 came out in 1967. 50 year old parts and design. Quality and performance have improved a little since then. 

Very true! And add Alaska cold storage, yada, yada, yada...