Eliptrac 400 for 2-piece Cornscala build?

AudioSlave

2 hours ago, AudioSlave said:

I'm a bit embarassed of how they look at the moment in their raw, temporary state, though...

Don’t be. That is what all speakers look like under the “pretty” final finish. Those look great. I know the eliptracs take some time too, don’t rush those. Though yours look good already.

4 hours ago, geoff. said:

Skanky like a fox!

Nice work.

How low does that bass bin go?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure how low...  I'll need to sweep them with REW to get a frequency response plot. I've got a calibrated measurement mic, so it wouldn't be too hard to do.

I can tell you that the cabinet volume calculates to 6.59 cu ft, taking into account the bracing and driver volume. I have (2) 4" round by 8 3/8" long flared ports, and the tuning should be somewhere in the 31.5 Hz range. Fs of the Crites woofer is around 26, I believe (26 and change). I've added a little subharmonic synth from my DBX driverack, which boosts and extends the low end as much or as little as you want. I formerly had 2 Polk 12" subs that are completely useless to me now. These seem to go a bit lower, and with much better resolution. The will rattle the windows if I roll the volume up, and I'm sure it will only get a bit smoother once the drivers settle in and loosen up a bit. I'm not a huge bass freak, but I am really impressed at the sonic impact these deliver. I'm using these to replace a pair of towers I built a few years back using (2) Seas 8" high resolution drivers and a Fountek ribbon tweeter each. They sounded sweet, but not even close to these as far as realism and impact. I'll see if I can set them up for a response test sweep in the next couple days and post the result.

3 hours ago, No.4 said:

Don’t be. That is what all speakers look like under the “pretty” final finish. Those look great. I know the eliptracs take some time too, don’t rush those. Though yours look good already.

Thanks, No.4! I really appreciate it.

I know they all look rough before finish, I just usually wait until the cabinets are done completely before bringing them in. I'm VERY fortunate to have such an understanding wife. She knows it's what I gotta do! :)

Although, She's not going to let me leave them looking like that for very long in her living room!

• Like 1