Cornwall return

cjmustang69

Getting ready to simplify my systems over the next several years as I get ready to retire and relocate.  I have some nice McIntosh pieces, which I intend to keep given how they perform - plus I'm a fan of the older McIntosh pieces.  I decided to find a pair of Cornwall speakers (I've owned several pair in past and like their performance and their flexibility with matching up to low power amps) to use with the McIntosh pieces.  Picked this pair of Cornwall I speakers up Saturday in Rochester NY.  Single owner speakers, wth original cartons and a set of ALK crossovers in addition to original B3 crossovers.  Hooked them up this morning and happy with how the system sounds.  Only pending change, as I sell other systems, is replacing the MC2105 amp with a McIntosh tube amp.  Very glad to own a pair of Heritage Klipsch again.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for comments.  I've been sufficiently impressed with the Cornwall speakers with ALK X-overs performance - I put the Pass Labs equipment in place of McIntosh front end. Also added turntable to hear how vinyl sounded.  I'm extremely pleased with how this system sounds.  It images extremely well and the soundstage is both wide and deep.  I intend to listen to this system as is for several weeks and then put the B3 X-overs in to hear difference which the X-overs make.  

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Just an update to my Cornwall system.  Sold the Pass Labs amp/preamp and Clearaudio turntable.  Now using McIntosh amp/preamp and Denon turntable.  I've yet to put original crossovers back in - just enjoy their sound too much as they are.

IMG_0932.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Very nice setup.

What made yo sell Clearaudio turntable over Denon? Is it going towards the vintage direction or something else?

I listen to vinyl, at most, 10% of time, the rest of time I stream music.  While I enjoyed the Clearaudio turntable, I had owned a Denon previously, and regretted selling it.  The vintage look and convenience of "auto stop/lift" make it more desirable for me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemon string said:

Great system! Curious about the differences you heard from the Mc gear and the pass gear? Also why are you selling the tubes? I love them on the CWs. 

I would say biggest difference between Pass Labs and McIntosh, which I heard, was the Pass Labs was possibly a little more clean and "analytical" sounding.  I personally prefer the McIntosh front end with the Klipsch Cornwalls.  Relative to tubes, I have a McIntosh C-22 preamp which I'm currently using in another system.  I don't intend to sell the C-22 and will likely bring it into this system in place of the C-28 sometime in near future.  I also have a refurbished Scott LK-48 integrated amp which I sometimes drive the Cornwalls with.  I'm always impressed with the Scott and Cornwalls.  At some point (would need to sell something I currently have) I would like to try a Single Ended Tube amp.  I've never heard one perform, but there are many posts describing how well they perform with Heritage Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cjmustang69 said:

I would say biggest difference between Pass Labs and McIntosh, which I heard, was the Pass Labs was possibly a little more clean and "analytical" sounding.  I personally prefer the McIntosh front end with the Klipsch Cornwalls.  Relative to tubes, I have a McIntosh C-22 preamp which I'm currently using in another system.  I don't intend to sell the C-22 and will likely bring it into this system in place of the C-28 sometime in near future.  I also have a refurbished Scott LK-48 integrated amp which I sometimes drive the Cornwalls with.  I'm always impressed with the Scott and Cornwalls.  At some point (would need to sell something I currently have) I would like to try a Single Ended Tube amp.  I've never heard one perform, but there are many posts describing how well they perform with Heritage Klipsch speakers.

I am one of the devoted believers of SE tube amplification with the heritage speakers I've owned. Interesting to hear your opinion on the Pass/MC comparison. Makes sense to me. Thanks for your reply, enjoy the cornwalls. Great speakers!

I built Cornwall clones 10 or so years ago with original drivers, am currently using a 10 watt solid state class A "JLH" amplifier.Amazingly simple little amp and a viable alternative to a single ended tube amp.Not as smooth as my Shishido 2A3 amps but seductive enough that I built 2 of them.Excellent bass and plenty loud enough,including driving my Chorus I's.It is class A though, so it runs hot.Mr Pass himself built a version Named the PLH.The 1969 version of this amp is single rail power and capacitor coupled.