Let's talk about bass - cont'd

mustang guy

On 08/17/2016 at 11:51 AM, derrickdj1 said:

Keep of posted on the results.  Are you also using auddysee and something like the mini dsp.  The mini dsp or Berhinger dsp amp or berhinger FBD would allow you to set the delay.  Danley talked about the delay can be from 3 to 20 ms depending on the XO.  You could try delays in multiples of 3 ms and see what sounds best.  Most likely you wont have to go that far. 

If you had Omnimic or REW a development of a notch at the XO would be a good indicator of when things are right.

I just moved my subs forward "3 feet", electronically.  The History Channel doesn't sound much different. 

I have run Audessy and have it turned on.  I'd love to see what it "decided".  It set the crossover to the subs at 40 Hz and I moved that to 70 Hz. 

• 3 months later...

So today the wife & kids were gone for a bit so I had a little time to myself. Decided to see what these Belle's could do. I've read about Klipsch "pressurizing" a room or one could feel the body & air around self vibrate. I wasn't ready to call B.S. yet so I decided to cautiously test that theory out.

I had some domestic duties to do like fold laundry in another room and that's down the hallway around the corner where our laundry room is. 

Turned on Google play to easy jazz station and left it on a good volume to hear what music would catch my ear.

Lot's of misses but one particular tune came on that immediately got my attention. Actually my feet was the first to get the attention then my ears. 

Autumn leaves by Chris Sidwell

The concrete was sending out small vibration throughout the foundation! It wasn't even loud but the vibration was noticeable. 

I put down what I was doing and made my way to the living room. Wow, that's some serious cello. I turned it up and was pleasantly surprised.

The next song  Summertime by Mark Maxwell was just the ticket. I turned it up and the meters on the Realistic 2100D was jumping to 10 watts. Standing there my body was being shook with bass and there was bass all around me bouncing off the wall behind and hitting my back. All this as many of you have said "effortlessly". I was just thinking this was on Jazz and not rock & roll! 

Unbelievable experience. 

4 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

So today the wife & kids ..Unbelievable experience. 

What a great description!

P.S. I tried to "test" the bass of my 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers with some electronic music from Neurodisc.

The injection molded baffles came unglued from the cabinets and started buzzing...they were not Klipsch's.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:29 AM, Rxonmymind said:

I've read about Klipsch "pressurizing" a room or one could feel the body & air around self vibrate. I wasn't ready to call B.S. yet so I decided to cautiously test that theory out.

I guess you need to try some k-horns loaded to solid walls, or larger KLFs, better yet larger multi woofer system with very extended bass.  When you know what you are missing, it's hard to live without it.

6 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I guess you need to try some k-horns loaded to solid walls, or larger KLFs, better yet larger multi woofer system with very extended bass.  When you know what you are missing, it's hard to live without it.

Agreed. Truth be told I'd rarely ever listen to my system that loud. My dream system would be the Pioneer 2401's with two 15" woofers each 

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/model2401twin-e.html

Although a much cheaper alternative would be what you suggested with dual Klipschorns and Belle's as center. However with 30'+ ceilings and an open loft any speaker would be hard pressed to pressurize that living room. It would take enormous speakers. But bass shaking, foundation rattling, body seizure type bass? Yes, it can be done.