The Quest for Good Modern Prog

Jeff Matthews

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If you are in the garage Jeff and trying to dance to "Skyline" ^^^ the reason you can't is because the time signature is not in the traditional 4/4 that rock music uses, it's in 5/4.  Think Dave Brubeck's "Take Five"  which does a single phrase of 5 beats to the measure 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, etc).  It starts in the opener just after the A Capella section.  Just count to 5 with the music and the measure will start over.  Try it, it's fun.  B)

If you are conducting at home the easiest way to conduct 5/4 is to do a measure counting 3/4 followed by 2/4 (1-2-3-1-2, 1-2-3-1-2, etc).

Again, very musical and very interesting stuff.  Not your average rock band. 

Well Jeff, maybe you can dance to 5/4 but I can't.  :rolleyes:

I can't dance worth a flip.  I can play drums a bit, and so yeah, I catch all those time signature changes.  That's a big part of why I like prog. so much.

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

I can't dance worth a flip.  I can play drums a bit, and so yeah, I catch all those time signature changes.  That's a big part of why I like prog. so much.

I thought you mentioned earlier you were a drummer. 

I thought you might find yourself wondering how musicians look at music. 

:P

Truth in advertising Section:  I am also a dumb drummer.  I know all the dumb drummer jokes. 

Just now, wvu80 said:

I thought you mentioned earlier you were a drummer. 

I thought you might find yourself wondering how musicians look at music. 

:P

Truth in advertising Section:  I am also a dumb drummer.  I know all the dumb drummer jokes. 

I'm not a real drummer.  I can't read music worth a flip.  If you gave me some time, I could probably figure out various time signatures.  I often just play them, not knowing what they are.  I just go by sound.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 6:10 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Oldie and I started discussing modern prog, and the topic deserves its own thread.

I like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Kansas, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, and prog like that.  Modern prog seems too metallic and causes listening fatigue.

So far, an hour of sampling has led me to Stick Men, which is completely instrumental, but at least not too metal-laden.

Name some good stuff.

Marrillion clutching at straws ,brave & marbles

Steve hackett 

Bozzio Levin Stevens

Dire straits love over gold

Bruford Levin upper extremities

robert fripp string quintet the bridge 

King crimson discipline

Roger waters amused to death