Marantz integrated amp opinions?

Paducah Home Theater

Seems like nobody has any experience with these.  Considering one for personal use.  Finally decided to try a PM6006.  My Marantz guy fooled around and didn't order it when I thought he was going to.  However, he has a PM7005 he might could deal on.  Problem is, seems like you're just paying extra to cut your speaker terminals in half as well as downgrade to a non-toroidal transformer, neither of which is my favorite idea.  You get a USB interface, more power, and larger terminals though.  Any thoughts as to which one is the better choice?  Ideally I thought I'd hook one output of the PM6006 to some Heresy, then the other side to a Vanco impedance-matched distribution switch which would power several outdoor speakers.  Thought it would work out nicely.  This guy keeps pushing for the 7005 though, making me second guess myself, especially with the USB interface.  It basically lets you plug right into a computer and the amp would read MP3's and do the playing, using its DAC, instead of having to get a desktop with an optical out or using the analog output of your sound card.  I have a laptop so I can't use the digital input on the amp as far as I know with the computer, only maybe the Marantz disc player that I have, so that may be nice.  But yet you get a nicer amp with more power and a higher price tag, and you lose the toroidal transformer???  Makes no sense.  Anyway, any opinions?  

No Marantz PM experience but I was considering the PM7005 as well as the Onkyo A-9070 when I opted for the Yamaha A-S1000.  All are built with EI core transformers.

Can't a well designed and mounted/isolated EI transformer perform just as well as a toroidal?  I read a couple of articles lately about that subject, toroidal vs EI core.

Here is one of those articles.

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm

Here is the other one.

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/psu-transformers-ei-vs-toroidal-and-more/

Bill

There has to a reason that highly respected Luxman amps use EI core tranformers.

Here is the guts of the $4000.00 L505UX.

lux00006_20130804032925_69.jpglux00002_20130729123500_4.jpg

I do not have enough knowledge and am not implying EI is better just saying it may not always be a downgrade going from toroidal to EI.

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm no expert but some years back I did use a PM5003 with a pair of Heresys. Nice clean sound with a touch of warmth. Still have it and use it in a small system a set up for my spouse in her art studio and it still sounds great. I'm presently using Parasound separates in our main 2 channel system with Cornwalls, but if I was in the market for another upgrade I wouldn't hesitate to audition a higher end Marantz integrated.  We also use a Marantz pre/pro and power amp in our HT. Marantz and Klipsch seem to be a good match. Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

For that type of money honestly I'd get a Marantz 2600, 2500, 2385 receiver. Specs are roughly the same and you get a whopping true 330, 250 and 185 wpc respectively with a bonus of a tuner. You'll also have your toroidal transformer. Win/win. 

Let me also throw in the Pioneer 1980 @ 270 wpc.

Can't think of many speakers that wouldn't bend to that kind of power. Then add a dac to your liking. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Knew of an 1150D many years ago that had a perpetually bad volume pot.  Rap it with your knuckles real good and it might come back.

Have a 1152DC that was having issues. Acted like dirty or bad switches or pots. I traced its problem to a circuit board faulty ground. Repaired it and now works good. I wonder if the 1150D you knew of had a faulty ground too like mine had, because rapping it with your knuckles real good maybe getting it to come back sounds more like a faulty ground or some type of connection problem then a bad pot

MetropolisLakeOutfitters,

I was recently checking out the PM6006 on the Internet along with other new audio. The PM6006 looks good, but I don't need an integrated at this time. I'll probably be buying a CD6006 soon, because of its many well mentioned reviews. I'll mainly not be buying vintage anymore. I'll mostly be buying new from now on. Vintage prices have gone up and there's very nice new now at a good cost as posted by you and others on this thread.

16 minutes ago, soundbound said:

I wonder if the 1150D you knew of had a faulty ground too like mine had, because rapping it with your knuckles real good maybe getting it to come back sounds more like a faulty ground or some type of connection problem then a bad pot.

It could have been. One channel would cut out completely until the physical persuasion was applied.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

if you want a modern integrated at reasonable money the single best one i have heard is the harman hk990. they were like $2000 new in 2011 and often sell for 800-1000 used today. compared to what's coming out of marantz and other competitors today it's just on another level at this price point. do some research on the hk990. it was kind of a signing off for harman kardon and the last true piece of hi fi gear they have made. it's a really really nice modern integrated 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 5:11 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Seems like nobody has any experience with these.  Considering one for personal use.  Finally decided to try a PM6006.  My Marantz guy fooled around and didn't order it when I thought he was going to.  However, he has a PM7005 he might could deal on.  Problem is, seems like you're just paying extra to cut your speaker terminals in half as well as downgrade to a non-toroidal transformer, neither of which is my favorite idea.  You get a USB interface, more power, and larger terminals though.  Any thoughts as to which one is the better choice?  Ideally I thought I'd hook one output of the PM6006 to some Heresy, then the other side to a Vanco impedance-matched distribution switch which would power several outdoor speakers.  Thought it would work out nicely.  This guy keeps pushing for the 7005 though, making me second guess myself, especially with the USB interface.  It basically lets you plug right into a computer and the amp would read MP3's and do the playing, using its DAC, instead of having to get a desktop with an optical out or using the analog output of your sound card.  I have a laptop so I can't use the digital input on the amp as far as I know with the computer, only maybe the Marantz disc player that I have, so that may be nice.  But yet you get a nicer amp with more power and a higher price tag, and you lose the toroidal transformer???  Makes no sense.  Anyway, any opinions?  

I don't know about a pm7005 but I just got a pm8005 and I am real impressed so far. I like it so much I ordered the matching sa8005 but don't have it yet.

On 12/1/2016 at 0:36 PM, soundbound said:

Have a 1152DC that was having issues. Acted like dirty or bad switches or pots. I traced its problem to a circuit board faulty ground. Repaired it and now works good. I wonder if the 1150D you knew of had a faulty ground too like mine had, because rapping it with your knuckles real good maybe getting it to come back sounds more like a faulty ground or some type of connection problem then a bad pot

MetropolisLakeOutfitters,

I was recently checking out the PM6006 on the Internet along with other new audio. The PM6006 looks good, but I don't need an integrated at this time. I'll probably be buying a CD6006 soon, because of its many well mentioned reviews. I'll mainly not be buying vintage anymore. I'll mostly be buying new from now on. Vintage prices have gone up and there's very nice new now at a good cost as posted by you and others on this thread.

I agree with you on the cost on vintage stuff. I like vintage but not at the prices that new gear goes for. I rather have new with warranty and (hopefully) no worries with reliability. That being said, I do really like vintage stuff, especially the look and the feel. I have a Kenwood KA9100 that I really like, but I have a have a new Marantz pm8005 that smokes it imho. But to be fair the Kenwood is unrestored and probably would match up lot better if it was restored.

• Like 1