Teach me

mojomc

So I have a pair of 1977 LaScalas that I'm looking to run in 2 channel only for listening to music. I have a limited budget of <1200 and would like to hear any suggestions for driving the LS. From what little I've read it seems a SET amp is preferred. Can something decent that isn't a Chinese kit be had in this range. Source will be lossless digital ripped from CDs.

Also, if anyone has any recommended reference sites for learning about tube amps, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I suggest that you consider the Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO.  Hand built in USA by Dennis Had, retired founder and president of Cary Audio Design.

Dennis sells on eBay, seller name:  radioman731.   If you search by “radioman731”, then look at his “feedback as a seller” you will see the amps that he’s sold in the last 6 months (“view item”).    Look at the recent sales of “STEREO TUBE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD KT88 TUBE SINGLE ENDED AMPLIFIER”.  The amps equipped with KT88s have been selling recently for $1,295.  (He occasionally builds different variants, with different prices.)   Dennis is retired - when he builds an amp he lists it on eBay – so you’ll need to save a “followed search” for radioman731, and pounce when he lists one.  (They usually sell within a day.)  Note that you’re dealing with an individual, not a company.   There is no documentation, but IME none is needed.  Dennis is a great guy.  I’ve not had any problems with my amp.  I’ve read that Dennis provides great support when a customer has a problem.

My Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO works great with my Klipsch RF-7 II (101dB, 8 ohm, 2 way).  I love it.  (I listen to mostly classical music and opera.)  It is capable of fabulous sound, and is a tube roller’s dream (6V6, 6L6, KT66, EL34, KT88, KT150, etc.)

I can set parameters in my Oppo universal player so that it provides a crossover and off-loads deep bass from the Inspire amp and main speakers to a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer.   Even without a subwoofer, my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO delivers excellent sound quality with my RF-7 II.  I use the variable output from my Oppo player – i.e., no preamp.  (You will see that Dennis also makes a pre-amp, if you’re so inclined.)

There is another forum with more than 2,000 posts about these Inspire single-ended-pentode (SEP) amps.  (I’m not sure if it’s OK to reference another forum here.  Hint:  the members are “audio aficionados” …)   There are a lot of people there who can offer suggestions about tube rolling for the Inspire amps – including me.

Please keep us posted regarding your decision process. 

P.S.  Here's an interview of Dennis on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQsEeBKg1E

• Like 1

Low power SETs and LSs are a "marriage made in heaven."  You don't need to spend anything even remotely approaching the budget you stated to achieve breathtaking sound.  I'd send a PM to William ("wdecho").  He has extensive experience running LSs with many different SETs and can certainly guide you in making an appropriate choice.  Some info about the size of your listening room and your listening habits would be worthwhile.  Where are you located?

Maynard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Low power SETs and LSs are a "marriage made in heaven."  You don't need to spend anything even remotely approaching the budget you stated to achieve breathtaking sound.  I'd send a PM to William ("wdecho").  He has extensive experience running LSs with many different SETs and can certainly guide you in making an appropriate choice.  Some info about the size of your listening room and your listening habits would be worthwhile.  Where are you located?

Maynard

Located in central Arkansas. Here's some info from a post over on the 2 ch forum. Some quite varied responses between the two forums. All are helpful viewpoints to consider. 

Room size 16x16 (decided to use spare room for listening)

10ft ceilings

Speaker placement - 10-12ft center to center

Listening distance - 10ish ft

Loudness - Mostly listening level but occasionally turn it up to hear in the back yard

Music genres - Rock (Black Crowes), Blues, Jazz and for my Mom, Neil Diamond

Source - Digital. An HTPC I put together. Output via auzentech dedicated sound card. All files were encoded FLAC from source cds by myself. 

@robert_kc

I actually ran across a few postings here regarding the Inspire that prompted me to do a few follow up searches but I never did get his seller ID. Thanks! They do certainly sound well built. On the list

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, audiowize said:

Dang, $1200 for a single ended EL84?

Tool Shed Matt does invest more in the visual appearance of his amps.  Considering the time and effort involved, and the exquisite looks of the end products, that's worth something.  But I do kind of agree; the OP would probably be better served getting ears on various different types before spending big bucks on fancy case work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

Maynard even liked the last PP tube amp he repaired and he is a SET lover as I am.

William, I may never be able to show my face in public again :D!  Seriously though, I just received a note from Stu ("Chrome Magnum") relative to our recent discussion about 5% 2nd harmonic distortion being the accepted maximum in SETs, and it is such an apt description that I will quote it here:

"I was surprised to hear that all those lovely even harmonics only comprise .0025 of the program power!  To me, that's like adding spice to food; it's hardly there at all, yet it turns something bland into something much more palatable, even wonderful!."

Maynard