FAQ: Activity Streams and You

Chad

• Administrators

One of the most powerful new features of the updated forum software are called "Activity Streams". These are customizable lists of posts and topics that you can tailor to your liking, and even set one as a default for quick access.

To check it out, mouse-over the "Activity" tab in the navigation menu. This will display the submenu of items to select from.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 12.52.33 PM.png

All Activity will show all post activity in reverse chronological order for the past hour. It's a good way to quickly see all posts that have been made in the last hour across all the subforums you have access to.

My Activity Streams is where things can get interesting. You'll see several default streams that have been created for you. Click on each one to see what kinds of content is displayed. If you click the "Create New Stream" button, you get to customize a stream just the way you like it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 12.58.03 PM.png

When you save that new stream, it will display in the My Activity Streams menu.

If you are viewing a stream and you click the little checkmark next to the stream name, that will mark that stream as your preferred default. This means you'll see a quick link to it on every page, just below the navigation menu.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 1.00.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 1.00.35 PM.png

I hope you enjoy this powerful new feature. There's even more to it than what is covered in this post. If you have any questions please ask!

• Like 2

• Chad unfeatured this topic
  • 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Larry,

Those show up in the upper-right of the forum pages, next to your profile pic. If on mobile, it's displayed when you tap on the "hamburger" menu in the upper right of the screen. If you want to see the latest postings, those show up on the home page, but a more real-time (non-cached) list can be seen by clicking on the "Activity" tab.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chad said:

Larry,

Those show up in the upper-right of the forum pages, next to your profile pic. If on mobile, it's displayed when you tap on the "hamburger" menu in the upper right of the screen. If you want to see the latest postings, those show up on the home page, but a more real-time (non-cached) list can be seen by clicking on the "Activity" tab.

No, they don't.  I don't see a profile pic, not sure what that is.  You mean my avatar??  That is not in the upper right.  In fact, I don't see my avatar unless I am replying, like just above in this reply, but on the left.  Sorry, I'm very confused by what all I'm looking at, and what I can do with it.  Where would I find past messages and do we still have notifications?  I can't see those.  It's hard to follow so far.

Where is the "Activity" tab?

I don't see the things that I see in the box in your earlier reply above, "Content I Posted in", namely the message and notification icons.  Those things are now completely missing from everywhere in my display.

I'm not clear on why it was desirable to make these confusing changes, when I, at least, had grown used to how to use the forum.

Larry

• Administrators

Larry,

What kind of device are you using to browse the forums? Mobile? Tablet, pc? And which kind of browser?

Yes, "Profile Pic" and "Avatar" are synonymous.

Also, are you able to take a screenshot of what you are seeing and share it here? Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Chad,  I'm using a MacBook Pro.  AOL is my browser.  Thanks for the clarification.  No, I don't know how to take a screenshot, at least not on a Mac.  I'd be glad to know how, if someone can tell me.

Larry

• Administrators

Larry,

AOL Browser is reaaallllly old and very unsupported. I wouldn't be surprised if many other modern websites give you issues (even if you aren't aware of it). I'd suggest moving to a modern web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari on your Mac.

As for screenshots on a Mac, you can see how to do that here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

• Like 1

• Chad unpinned this topic