Need a camera, sub $200

jason str

My last camera worked fairly well Bruce, yes my camera skills are poor but this camera makes my pictures look really bad.

New stuff will be in next week and i will take some new pics and you guys can be the judge.

These are very heavy by the way and i will get some help when moving them around so not to injure myself.

A tripod should make all the difference. Use aperture priority at f5.8 or greater to give a good depth of field. Also manually set the iso to 200 or 320, which will keep noise down. Both will lead to long exposures in poor lighting but that's where a tripod works well. I'd also try without the internal flash to avoid sharp shadows. You can avoid some camera shake from depressing the button by setting a 2 or more second delay. HTH.

You're right meeker1, but it might be a bit early to start recommending stuff like f-stops, ASA, delays and shutter speeds etc to Jason. For now, it's point and click.

The best pictures are usually the ones that are in a nice looking environment. Staged photographs of goods sell for more money than LetGo/craigslist smartphone shot type stuff. If you drape a curtain over a table, it is an instant presentation stage. Folds and curves of the drapery make a nice setting.

• Like 1

The more i use this camera the more i like it.

Is there a basic wide angle lens i should get ?

This lens is great for taking pictures of things but sometimes i find there is not enough space to move back and get everything in the picture.

Been reading up too and figuring out what all these buttons do, it will take more experience of course but as time rolls by things get easier.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, Marvel said:

Did you get a single focal length lens?  Anything wider than a 35mm (film camera equiv) will start to give you image distortion. At least from my perspective ...

Bruce

This is true. Wide angle lenses distort the more you zoom out. That is the reason I posted the link of the 50 images taken with that lens. That gives you the ability to judge for yourself if the distortion is acceptable. What you do not want is a fish eye. It has a very large field of view (FOV), but distorts like crazy. See for yourself:

15323551551_5697647923_o.jpg

On 9/5/2016 at 6:17 PM, jason str said:

Don't own a cell phone.

Lens says 28-80 MM is all i know.

I would not go any wider than this for speakers as wide angle lenses have noticeable distortion and can exaggerate perspective which means your LaScalas will start to take on other shapes besides cubes. If you are shooting a lot on a tripod and have a rebel (What model did you get?) then these triggers are cheap and worth every penny. Doing the self timer to stabilize get old really fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Release-Digital-Replaces-RS60-E3/dp/B002KDQPWM/ref=sr_1_12?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1473217050&sr=1-12&keywords=canon+rebel+trigger

Here is an example of exaggerated perspective from a 24mm lens. The top hat looks smaller in the photo than real life because the wide angle lens presents objects further away as smaller.

LaScala Mods SS -4.jpg

BTW Jason, you have a zoom lens. 28mm to 80mm is the range of zoom. The lower the mm, the wider the viewport (zoomed out). You can get zoom lenses that can do 300mm which aren't really that expensive if you are interested. https://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-Telephoto-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B016SN92V0?SubscriptionId=AKIAI62SSPLIHX7AR6PA&tag=lenshero-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B016SN92V0. They can really reach out there. Here are 50 sample pics. Note the top right where it indicates the mm the photo is zoomed in to: http://lenshero.com/lens/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f4-5.6-III-gallery-39