Question - Is there a Forum or Sub-Forum for reviewing movies?

onemoretime

I've searched a couple of times, but can't find a thread for reviewing movies in the Home Theater forum.

Would it be an idea to have a sub-forum for reviews? It would be nice to know what's mixed well for Blu-Ray, DVD (sometimes DVDs are better), whether 7.1 would make a difference (e.g. Jurassic World sounds too busy in 5.1 Blu-Ray), etc. Also, which speakers bring out the best of movie soundtracks - Heritage, Reference, etc.There could be one thread per movie, with various takes on what works / doesn't work with certain systems, so you can track which directors, genres, etc. will sound best given the type of setup each of us has.

Thoughts?

I most often see movie reviews on "What I got today."  The review would then be on the BD or DVD.

AFAIK there is no sub-forum for reviews.  The easy way to track them would be with a TAG that said "movie review" but there is no common way I see anyone do that.  You could probably SEARCH FORUM for a specific movie review.

16 minutes ago, onemoretime said:

I've searched a couple of times, but can't find a thread for reviewing movies in the Home Theater forum.

Would it be an idea to have a sub-forum for reviews? It would be nice to know what's mixed well for Blu-Ray, DVD (sometimes DVDs are better), whether 7.1 would make a difference (e.g. Jurassic World sounds too busy in 5.1 Blu-Ray), etc. Also, which speakers bring out the best of movie soundtracks - Heritage, Reference, etc.There could be one thread per movie, with various takes on what works / doesn't work with certain systems, so you can track which directors, genres, etc. will sound best given the type of setup each of us has.

Thoughts?

The thread in the HT section the last Bluray is the closest thing on a movie review.  The question on 7.1 vs 5.1, ect or which speakers Heritage vs Reference is to subjective and depends on to many factors such as, gear, room size, setup, ect.  There is a forum that discuss things like over all rating, extension, dynamic range, ect that can be found at:  http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

The thread in the HT section the last Bluray is the closest thing on a movie review.  The question on 7.1 vs 5.1, ect or which speakers Heritage vs Reference is to subjective and depends on to many factors such as, gear, room size, setup, ect.  There is a forum that discuss things like over all rating, extension, dynamic range, ect that can be found at:  http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/

While there is some subjectivity to which speakers, having folks weigh in on which soundtracks are better mixed than others does have objective elements. Some soundtracks have competing elements cancelling each other out in the same channel, others are well-mixed. Same goes for DVD vs. Blu-Ray - some Blu-Ray films use too much compression in an attempt to quiet the mix, with the result that the life gets drained out of it.

There are always subjective elements when it comes to source material and how gear is set up, no doubt. But what's the purpose of a forum like this - to tweak gear or enjoy movies (and music)? Plenty of places here for tweaking gear, but it would be nice to see some space devoted to seeking and reviewing source material, how various sources impact our equipment choices & how our equipment favors some source material over others.

• Like 1

In other forums there are some really fun and cool threads like "great subwoofer movies" where the movie itself isn't reviewed as much as the low end content and dynamic range of the presentation.  Last blu-ray watched is a really cool thread too, but I am 100% for a dedicated thread doing movie reviews.   That's my vote!

• Like 2

How about a thread "movies I can't remember the names of, but I just wanted to tell folks about it". Here is a nice sample review:

I saw a movie the other day. I can't remember the name. It had good acting and at one point I almost cried. I was a bit scared in places and in other I laughed. I fell asleep in part but I think the director wanted that because a really loud part woke me up. I wish I could remember the movie or even the night I saw it. There was this one actor in it who is in lots of movies and stuff, but I can't remember his name. He is good looking and average height but a really believable actor when it gets right down to it. This woman who I kinda think I have seen in other stuff, but she is drop dead gorgeous. She was evil! 

11 hours ago, onemoretime said:

There are always subjective elements when it comes to source material and how gear is set up, no doubt. But what's the purpose of a forum like this - to tweak gear or enjoy movies (and music)?

It sounds like you have a thread to start.  This will give people an example of what to post!

3 hours ago, mustang guy said:

How about a thread "movies I can't remember the names of, but I just wanted to tell folks about it". Here is a nice sample review:

I saw a movie the other day. I can't remember the name. It had good acting and at one point I almost cried. I was a bit scared in places and in other I laughed. I fell asleep in part but I think the director wanted that because a really loud part woke me up. I wish I could remember the movie or even the night I saw it. There was this one actor in it who is in lots of movies and stuff, but I can't remember his name. He is good looking and average height but a really believable actor when it gets right down to it. This woman who I kinda think I have seen in other stuff, but she is drop dead gorgeous. She was evil! 

I think if we gave this a try and folks could see some actual examples it might make more sense. I'll try starting one and see where it goes. If it sucks, it sucks; if not, maybe there's something there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

In other forums there are some really fun and cool threads like "great subwoofer movies" where the movie itself isn't reviewed as much as the low end content and dynamic range of the presentation.  Last blu-ray watched is a really cool thread too, but I am 100% for a dedicated thread doing movie reviews.   That's my vote!

That will happen when you have forums for gear hounds. I think there's room for discussing both - whether a movie has good LFE or not, and whether the movie is even worth watching. Case in point: derrickdj1's link to movies with good LFE content http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/ gives a super-high rating to Jupiter Ascending, which we found utterly dreadful and we're huge sci-fi fans.

LOL Jupiter Ascending I am one that can put up with almost any goofy stupid thing but once they hugged and were flying together with his special jet shoes lol it was turned off.  That was maybe 15 minutes in.  Agree that a movie must have some semblance of watchability to get rated for LFE.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 10:27 AM, mustang guy said:

Reading this I thought the point might be to guess what substance or alcohol was being used at the time....lol :)

Air show practice is going on here in Chicago, talk about great LFE, when they go right over you it's amazing.  I've been to Cubs games where they do multiple flyovers.  I think like many here I would not get tired after 25 of them :)  F-15 Strike Eagle does not require room gain to get the response desired :):)

• Like 1