Kind of blue! Amazing sound!

marioramos

I have been in to music for lots of years but never really got in to jazz. I brought my first jazz album kind of blue by  mr miles Davis. The sound was the best I ever heard though my klipsch rf7s. I have never heard those horns sound better. It seems like the klipsch horn was made for this type of music. I have owned the rf7 for many years and was blown away! I guess am going to have to start exploring the world of jazz music. Any suggestions my klipsch people? 

There are a lot of kinds of jazz.  I am a jazz person, but there are certain kinds I don't like.  For instance I don't like the kind where improvs go on endlessly and the soloists seems to play a lot of random notes up and down the scale, usually fast.  I call those "the finger races" and they are NOT my cup of tea.

Let's try to find out what kind of jazz speaks to you.  I am a fan of brass, and I like the screamers.  To start, see how you like Maynard Ferguson.  Here is a classic from 1970 when Maynard was in his prime, MacArthur Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6ykRiQcvA

• Like 1

Jazz is a great genre of music.  My 2 channel system is also the RF 7 II's.  Miles Davis is nice but, he is the tip of the iceberge as you discover more jazz styles.  On the RTM forum a lot of jazz is played along with a bit of everything else.  Feel free to join us.  We do a get to gether over the weekend starting around 7-8 PM

Some of my favorites:

Euge Groove- House of Groove

Boney James- Pure

Fourplay- Yes, Please!

Pamela William- Saxtress

Ray Obiedo- Sticks And Stones

Russ Freeman- Drive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Here is a classic from 1970 when Maynard was in his prime, MacArthur Park.

I've seen him 3 times at 3 different venues and he's always played that.  Normally he'd play Hey Jude during the performance also.  During that song the entire band would walk off the stage and station themselves throughout the audience in the aisles all while continuing to play.  It was an amazing experience.

I agree with you wvu80 about that kind of jazz. That's why it took me this long to get in to it. Some of it was just all over the place. I started with kind of blue because of the research I did on it. They say that's a good place to start. I do like that kind swing stuff  from the first track of kind of blue "so what" and also I really liked blue in green track. Those two tracks really appealed to me. I did like that mcarthur park that was nice am going to have to look for it next time I get to a record store.

I have had the RF7 and RF 7 II and enjoyed both of them.  They seem like big tall speakers but, they are perfect for spraying out the sound near ear level seated and have great room coverage.  I actually started out on this forum 90% movies and 10 % music.  Today I am just the opposite if that says anything about the way music sounds on the RF 7/7II's.

1 hour ago, marioramos said:

I agree with you wvu80 about that kind of jazz. That's why it took me this long to get in to it. Some of it was just all over the place. I started with kind of blue because of the research I did on it. They say that's a good place to start. I do like that kind swing stuff  from the first track of kind of blue "so what" and also I really liked blue in green track. Those two tracks really appealed to me. I did like that mcarthur park that was nice am going to have to look for it next time I get to a record store.

If you like the Maynard stuff, I HIGHLY recommend you start with MF Horn II.  The tune I have listed it a sweet little James Taylor ballad, just slightly rearranged for trumpet, On a Country Road.  Great ending, beginning with the rounds!

Try this:

Since you like the Miles Davis try "Miles Ahead".  I purchased the RSD version of it, and when I'm in the mood for jazz I tend to listen to that and "Kind of Blue" back to back.  Another I like is Dave Brubeck's "Time Out".  Just a magnificent album, but as the title suggests, nothing in common time. It is however a jazz combo, no trumpets here.  Sipping a nice 12 year old scotch while you listen doesn't hurt either!  Of course, your mileage may vary.

Kind of Blue is a great recording but it's not without faults.  Coltrane is loud compared to the other players so in my opinion, sound wise, it's not the best recording when compared to the many other options.  If you like horns, here's a short list of great stuff.

Blue Tran - John Coltrane

Cool Struttin' / Sidewinder - Lee Morgan

Detroit - New York Junction - Thad Jones

Play Boys / Chet Baker Big Band - Chet Baker & Art Pepper

Song For My Father - Horace Silver

Minor Move - Tina Brooks (check out "The Way You Look Tonight" featuring Lee Morgan)

One Night With Bluenote - The historic all-star reunion concert (1985) - This will give you a great taste for many of the great jazz musicians. (Freddie Hubbard & Joe Henderson blow the house down)

• Like 1

Boomac's list is a good one.  In particular, I'd recommend Blue Train (John Coltrane) as your next investment.  He is the tenor sax player on Kind of Blue, and is simply amazing.  Blue Train is one of the more accessible Coltrane albums and was recorded just about two years earlier than Kind of Blue, having many of the same elements that Kind of Blue has, but a little bit more opened up (it's also in stereo, like Kind of Blue). 

Here is the Audacity equalization curve that I applied to Blue Train's album's tracks, followed by "Normalize..." for each track:

Blue Train 1 - John Coltrane.GIF

...and the XML import file for the above curve:

Blue Train 1 - John Coltrane.XML

Chris

My professor of Jazz was, Johnnie, a Black man old enough to be my father.  We met in the 70s when he bought a Dynaco amp from me.   I later built a pair of Speakerlab 7s for him, which he loved.

We'd sit in his Detroit basement and listen to Jazz.  He introduced me to Miles, Monk, Jarrett, Sanborn and others. 

The random horn blowing is an acquired taste that I never acquired.  He could never sell me on Sun Ra.  I miss Johnnie and the time spent in his basement.

Maynard Ferguson never lit my fire.  I can enjoy only so much at dog call frequencies.

Horns definitely produce magic with jazz.

The audiophile standard is:

Jazz at the Pawnshop - Arne Domnerus Band

If you like singing in jazz, Halie Loren and Diana Krall have some good stuff.

Some others that I like:

Swing is Here - Dick Hyman

Jazz Party - Duke Ellington

On Time - Dave Brubeck

Standard Time - Wynton Marsalis