best amp and why

owen

I run my chorus 1 and forte 11 with a Yamaha m-40 amp.the specs are good and I look at new amps and to get the same specs for the money is crazy.So what am I missing?I respect this forum and I know iam a newbie. the specs are 120 watts at 8 ohms 20 20 hz at .003% thd...snr is a whopping 127. damping factor is ok at 130.I love running the forte and chorus 1 together they seem to fill in the missing  pieces of the total balance of music the way I like to hear it.my question is can I improve the sound with a different amp?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the older Yamaha stuff as long as it is serviced properly.  New stuff is a little better though you would barely notice, especially in the specs.  You will pay a lot more today for the same power.

The only way you would know the difference is to have the new amp and your old Yamaha set up side by side and A/B them.  You may like the sound of the older Yamaha better depending on what you compare to.  You have to really invest the time to verify if you are missing anything or not.

• Like 1

You may get a different sound from another amp but, is it better.  Yamaha and Pioneer have a very nutral and natural sound without coloration.  Some avr's will have a warmer sound.  Neither is better, just comes down to personal taste.  Almost all the old Yamaha's need a tune up just due to age.

I enjoy the sound with my Emotiva XPA-2 amplifiers. They seem to play well with my Klipsch speakers too. The specs are not overly impressive but sound wise they do a nice job.

I also enjoy the older Technics SE and SU series amps.

Tim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owen said:

...I look at new amps and to get the same specs for the money is crazy.So what am I missing?

The problem is that specs will not tell you how an amp will sound.  As an example, go look at the specs of a tube amp, then go listen to it.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:03 PM, JMON said:

The problem is that specs will not tell you how an amp will sound.  As an example, go look at the specs of a tube amp, then go listen to it.

Absolutely.

Tube amps can sound great.

Currently I am enjoying a First Watt F6.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2016 at 3:04 PM, owen said:

I run my chorus 1 and forte 11 with a Yamaha m-40 amp.the specs are good and I look at new amps and to get the same specs for the money is crazy.So what am I missing?I respect this forum and I know iam a newbie. the specs are 120 watts at 8 ohms 20 20 hz at .003% thd...snr is a whopping 127. damping factor is ok at 130.I love running the forte and chorus 1 together they seem to fill in the missing  pieces of the total balance of music the way I like to hear it.my question is can I improve the sound with a different amp?

I have 9 Yamaha amps, the good ones all sound great, and for the money on the used market they are very hard to beat.

There may be some better sounding amps, but there are plenty that are not nearly as good.

I love my Pioneers and McIntosh, but for sweet sound if I could only have one it would be Yamaha

• Like 1

Audition amplifiers, go to an audio store and listen to different amps and preamps, or integrated amps, or receivers, into a single pair of speakers and you will hear differences,. They are mostly not related to the specs, they are related to design choices made by the designer/manufacturer.  Specs tell you precious little about how a component will sound. Specs are about performance, not sound.  It's fun to audition, by doing so you will learn about what you prefer.  The answer is the best amp is the one you like best in your home, in your system, with your music.  The only way to find out what that will be is via auditioning.  Warm regards, Tony 

• Like 2

My 1981 Hafler Amp is the DH-100 I built myself a one day job but I am very critical so it took three days. I use this to drive the mid/tweeters of my Klipsch R-28F's which is one construction of the all time top ten aamplifiers.

I use a 1981 Carver M-400 to drive the bass.

I think trying different configurations with the two amps really paid off. I realized just now my love affair with the music can't be infatuation I've been using them over a year now! These two extremely differently configured amps complement each other. My cave now is 10' x 12' having moved from a 10' x 13' cave. Placement and room dynamics need to be tweaked to get the right reflections, right sound stage.

My amps put out over 550 watts per channel with no additions or subtractions to all music.

I set my pre-amp to the number one position on the volume knob of my 1989 Hafler DH 110 because I have yet to crank it up to listen to some hard rock. So far every instrument I have thrown at it has been faithfully reproduced. My recomendation? Music is different for everyone. Critical listening it is just me. All other listening is for my household and neigbors if I turn it up to the number 3 position on a ten position volume knob. Somedays I bring my favorite recordings to a high end store to listen to the stuff I cannot afford to help with the minor changes to improve the sound but I gave it up until October when I will buy a new cartridge made of wood?

Stacks of Carvers in da house for most of my klipsch

For my ChorusI's and II's I throw big carver watts at em..... not that listening to them with just a few watts sounds bad... but with the Chorus line of speaker I don't think they really comes to life till ya hit that 200 watt mark and with a big Carver TFM-55 putting the power to em they are thumping....

IMHO.... the Carvers seem to drive these speakers like few amps can...  @ 200 watts that TFM-55 isn't even getting warm.... it's rated @ 375 watts into 8 ohms...... it's a power house.... and even driving it to that 375 watt + mark it still will run cool.... Once those power needles start jumping into that 375 watt mark those Chorus unleash concert level db's at ya:o.... and it's not just about how "loud" it is...... it's the "feel" of the music!! I want to feel it in my chest.... and the Chorus and Carver can do it.... Those Chorus can take all kinds of power... they want it;)

For other moods we'll power up the LaScala's with a Adcom 555II...... more than enough power for the LaScala's .....Nice sounding amp for that speaker IMHO....

Got a few Crowns and I've owned a few other amps but most of the time it's Bob Carver's amps powering my Klipsch....

MKP :-)