2nd R-115SW (Break-in Question)

busht4169

Hey all!  Hope the Community has been doing well!

Say, I just picked up a second R-115SW.  In my signature my current setup is listed.  How long should I break-in my new sub before using it with the other one?  If at all...

My current one has a about 1000 hours on it and working perfectly.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks all!

You can use it right away with the other one. It may not be quite as loud or match perfectly, but you won't be hurting anything.

In my experience, the bigger the driver, the longer the break-in. With both 15" subs I have, it took some time for them to settle and I was actually turning them down for a while, as they got louder as the process went on. Some on here run sine waves to speed the process, but I use the old-fashioned music/movie playing to get that woofer moving :-)

• Like 3

Just plug and go.  I wish the term of subwoofer break-in never existed.  I have had many subs and played them at max volume on day one. If the sub breaks on day one it is defective or really a cheapo, lol! The suspesion will loosen up over time and maybe in 6-8 weeks recalibrated the system.

• Like 2

Thanks both of you!  I ran it hard solo for a couple movies, and such.  Going to use both of your suggestions.  Just play and go and listen and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Grizzog said:

You can use it right away with the other one. It may not be quite as loud or match perfectly, but you won't be hurting anything.

In my experience, the bigger the driver, the longer the break-in. With both 15" subs I have, it took some time for them to settle and I was actually turning them down for a while, as they got louder as the process went on. Some on here run sine waves to speed the process, but I use the old-fashioned music/movie playing to get that woofer moving :-)

6 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Just plug and go.  I wish the term of subwoofer break-in never existed.  I have had many subs and played them at max volume on day one. If the sub breaks on day one it is defective or really a cheapo, lol! The suspesion will loosen up over time and maybe in 6-8 weeks recalibrated the system.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter much for these.  The suspension of these is pretty compliant right out of the box.  Where you run into issues with subs is the monsters that seem to use car tires for surrounds (joking) and have ultra-stiff dual spiders which do need to be loosened up.  You're not going to hurt anything in home use.  Down low you might lose a little volume worst case.  Where it's very noticeable though is upper extension, it can sound muffled and not as crisp as it ought to be.  

Mobile use though, I've heard of guys ripping spiders before.  Basically combine a brand new sub with a cold Chicago winter's day and max volume on a bass heavy song and you can tear a spider up.  

• Like 2

I can't confirm as I don't know how to build drivers/transducers, but I've been told that the reason some of these spiders are so stiff out of the box is that they're coated in an epoxy resin.  Basically by breaking them in you're actually crystallizing the epoxy and at that point the suspension gets way more compliant.  

• Like 2