Are Samsung UHD LED LCD TV's any good?

DMH

I'm seriously considering replacing my 5 year old Sony 55" KDL-55EX621 LED TV with a Samsung 70" Class (69.5" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV UN70KU630DFXZA. Costco has this model in my price range. I'd appreciate any opinions (pro or con) that you have on Samsung televisions and UHD in general.

The plan is to mount the TV on the fireplace approximately where the tape is in the photo.

TVspot.JPG

Samsung currently makes the best quality TVs and typically charges for it.  The UHDs are beautiful, the curved screens are incredible.

It's not unlike hi fi equipment -- what you already have is a very nice TV.  This one is better...significantly better.  I don't think the highest end models are NECESSARY...but necessary is not really the question. If you're looking to buy one of the best TVs available and never regret it, it's a great choice.

The 70 is the new 55.  The blue tape certainly helps visualize the placement.

I would absolutely plan the speaker placements at the same time, as you have a front end with placement challenges.  Will the fireplace still utilized as a wood burner?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Decent... "good" is a relative term and depends on your definition. If dynamic range and black levels aren't that important then it is "good".

Price wise, they are better than good.

I really don't know enough about it to understand the definition of dynamic range or black levels are. I do know that the old sony still looked good to me, but I was raised with black and white televisions so I'm generally in awe at the picture quality of any of the modern sets. I will look into it and clear up the nomenclature.

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Samsung currently makes the best quality TVs and typically charges for it.  The UHDs are beautiful, the curved screens are incredible.

It's not unlike hi fi equipment -- what you already have is a very nice TV.  This one is better...significantly better.  I don't think the highest end models are NECESSARY...but necessary is not really the question. If you're looking to buy one of the best TVs available and never regret it, it's a great choice.

That's good to know that Samsung "makes the best quality". The Sony was and from what you are saying is a very nice set. I'm into "significantly better" if it's under $2K.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The 70 is the new 55.  The blue tape certainly helps visualize the placement.

I would absolutely plan the speaker placements at the same time, as you have a front end with placement challenges.  Will the fireplace still utilized as a wood burner?

I agree, the tape is a good beginning  to putting it there. So, if the 70" is the new 55", then I'm good? Heh?

The speaker placement isn't so bad. The jub's will be set out of the corners about two feet to allow the placement of subs behind them and to prevent too much from bouncing off the bricks. Now, the center channel is an issue... My temporary solution is to place one  Belle on the hearth, and that also answers your question about using the fireplace. The long term center channel solution is to create a multi-point center out of a K-402, Danley style. I already have a set of 402's slated for the project.  The 402 will just fit with a custom cabinet. Then I'll get a chain mall screen to cover it up and "magic" the center channel dialogue will appear to come from nowhere. The khorn surrounds aren't going to change, I just have to put one in different corner when I rotate the room 90 degrees to face the fireplace.

1 hour ago, bone said:

good t v. however OLED has better picture, but pricey. if you decide on the Samsung, I would make sure it has HDR..

What is HDR and how does it relate to this UHD Samsung that I'm interested in purchasing. I can see that more study is needed on my part...

I appreciate all of your replies and assistance. Thank you.

I think I might have had the exact TV you did, at least my own was a five year old 55" Sony. Today I picked up a 65" KS800D UHD Samsung from Costo, and what an upgrade. Colors, black levels, all major improvements. I would have loved a new LG OLED, but not for 6k. This was about 2 grand and well worth it. Beautiful TV!

4 hours ago, DavidH said:

I agree, the tape is a good beginning  to putting it there. So, if the 70" is the new 55", then I'm good? Heh?

Oh yeah.  :D

The speaker placement isn't so bad. The jub's will be set out of the corners about two feet to allow the placement of subs behind them and to prevent too much from bouncing off the bricks.

Now, the center channel is an issue... My temporary solution is to place one  Belle on the hearth, and that also answers your question about using the fireplace. The long term center channel solution is to create a multi-point center out of a K-402, Danley style. I already have a set of 402's slated for the project.  The 402 will just fit with a custom cabinet. Then I'll get a chain mall screen to cover it up and "magic" the center channel dialogue will appear to come from nowhere.

You have obviously given the center channel a lot of thought.  Clever idea of building a box and putting it INTO the fireplace cutout and using a chain mail screen. 

The khorn surrounds aren't going to change, I just have to put one in different corner when I rotate the room 90 degrees to face the fireplace.

Uh, "Khorn surrounds?"   :o   You might be the first person I've ever heard of to use Khorns for surrounds!   B)

My first thought would be to use the Khorns for L/R but you've already said you need to put the Jubs there to make space for the subs.  You will have a unique setup with a great sound.

I replaced my old Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma with a newer Samsung 55" 4k (6500) TV last year and REALLY liked the improvement. People were crying foul because of the lack of 4k content at the time but I believe the built in upscaling? may have helped?? All I know is everything looks a lot better on the new TV. In a nutshell I think they are great for the price.

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Uh, "Khorn surrounds?"   :o   You might be the first person I've ever heard of to use Khorns for surrounds!   B)

My first thought would be to use the Khorns for L/R but you've already said you need to put the Jubs there to make space for the subs.  You will have a unique setup with a great sound.

Thanks, it is unique.

Yeah, the hidden center channel is a project... The good thing is that when I play my "fireplace" Blu-Ray, the crackling snapping fire sounds will be accurately originating from where they are supposed to.:unsure:

The khorns are difficult to dispense with, they are cool speakers that I've grown very fond of, so they do surround duty until I move to a different house and set up a system in a separate room. They are overkill most of the time but really excel with some recordings, like the Blu-ray audio disc format where the listener is in the middle of the orchestra. Such as; Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swingin' For the Fences. Which by the way is selling for $7.99 on Amazon, what a deal! If you don't have a copy, buy it, it's cool! 

8 hours ago, TimNielsen said:

I think I might have had the exact TV you did, at least my own was a five year old 55" Sony. Today I picked up a 65" KS800D UHD Samsung from Costo, and what an upgrade. Colors, black levels, all major improvements. I would have loved a new LG OLED, but not for 6k. This was about 2 grand and well worth it.

Beautiful TV!

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I replaced my old Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma with a newer Samsung 55" 4k (6500) TV last year and REALLY liked the improvement. People were crying foul because of the lack of 4k content at the time but I believe the built in upscaling? may have helped?? All I know is everything looks a lot better on the new TV. In a nutshell I think they are great for the price.

Tim&jjptkd,  That's very encouraging, I was thinking the same thing but it's good to hear that y'all are satisfied.

Like a couple other have said HDR, is what you want to look for.  It is new for 2016, but is actually something worth having.  I own the Samsung UHD tv you are looking at, except the 55 inch version.  It replaced a few year old LED Samsung and does a great job.  If the price is right on this one, I'd go for it, but I would try and compare it to an HDR model to make sure you would not feel like you are missing out on anything.  UHD is the new standard and they're cheap enough now to justify, but they really don't offer much of an advancement to the viewing pleasure.  At 70 inches and normal viewing distances you might start to see some benefits but, OLED and HDR offer an instant viewing benefit.  However, the differences here are minimal so, like I said, I love my Samsung UHD and don't feel like I'm missing out on too much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cole C said:

Like a couple other have said HDR, is what you want to look for.  It is new for 2016, but is actually something worth having.  I own the Samsung UHD tv you are looking at, except the 55 inch version.  It replaced a few year old LED Samsung and does a great job.  If the price is right on this one, I'd go for it, but I would try and compare it to an HDR model to make sure you would not feel like you are missing out on anything.  UHD is the new standard and they're cheap enough now to justify, but they really don't offer much of an advancement to the viewing pleasure.  At 70 inches and normal viewing distances you might start to see some benefits but, OLED and HDR offer an instant viewing benefit.  However, the differences here are minimal so, like I said, I love my Samsung UHD and don't feel like I'm missing out on too much.

The brochure for the 70" Samsung that I'm interested in has this to say: "Bring the movie theater into your living room. Our HDR Premium technology displays HDR (High Dynamic Range) content from new generation Ultra HD Blu-ray, HDR streaming content, and HDR content available on Vidity compliant storage devices. Meets CTA HDR-compatible requirements.1"
1Complies with CTA (Consumer Technology Association) definition requirement for HDR open standard profile playback.

18 minutes ago, DavidH said:

The brochure for the 70" Samsung that I'm interested in has this to say: "Bring the movie theater into your living room. Our HDR Premium technology displays HDR (High Dynamic Range) content from new generation Ultra HD Blu-ray, HDR streaming content, and HDR content available on Vidity compliant storage devices. Meets CTA HDR-compatible requirements.1"
1Complies with CTA (Consumer Technology Association) definition requirement for HDR open standard profile playback.

Well, they sure like to make things confusing.  After searching for the tv you're talking about I don't see any mention of HDR, but as you pointed out here it sort of shows that this tv might have it.  The wording on that is sort of misleading as to whether it is on that tv or just advertising their new tech.  In any case I think the simple answer to this is that with or without HDR you're probably going to be happy with it.  HDR is still in a format war and different tv manufacturers are using different formats (Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10).  Not to mention in order to see HDR content you need to have it and all your other devices (blu ray player, AV receiver etc.) need to support it.  So if it were me I'd say if it ends up having HDR that's great, and hopefully it sets you up a little bit for the future, but if it doesn't then I wouldn't sweat it too much, because the picture will still be great and trying to future proof yourself with a new tv is a never ending task anyway.  I have always bought Samsung's and have never been let down.