Are Samsung UHD LED LCD TV's any good?

DMH

19 hours ago, DavidH said:

I really don't know enough about it to understand the definition of dynamic range or black levels are. I do know that the old sony still looked good to me, but I was raised with black and white televisions so I'm generally in awe at the picture quality of any of the modern sets. I will look into it and clear up the nomenclature.

That's good to know that Samsung "makes the best quality". The Sony was and from what you are saying is a very nice set. I'm into "significantly better" if it's under $2K.

I agree, the tape is a good beginning  to putting it there. So, if the 70" is the new 55", then I'm good? Heh?

The speaker placement isn't so bad. The jub's will be set out of the corners about two feet to allow the placement of subs behind them and to prevent too much from bouncing off the bricks. Now, the center channel is an issue... My temporary solution is to place one  Belle on the hearth, and that also answers your question about using the fireplace. The long term center channel solution is to create a multi-point center out of a K-402, Danley style. I already have a set of 402's slated for the project.  The 402 will just fit with a custom cabinet. Then I'll get a chain mall screen to cover it up and "magic" the center channel dialogue will appear to come from nowhere. The khorn surrounds aren't going to change, I just have to put one in different corner when I rotate the room 90 degrees to face the fireplace.

What is HDR and how does it relate to this UHD Samsung that I'm interested in purchasing. I can see that more study is needed on my part...

I appreciate all of your replies and assistance. Thank you.

HDR is high dynamic range. as you probably know, Samsung and sony has merged. sony dropped OLED. as I said, OLED is pricey. But if you purchase the Samsung, with HDR. it will look better than what you have now, and it wiil be cheaper than OLED. Only , to comfuse you and I , OLED prices are coming down... good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I Hate future proofing.  With a Capital "H."   :angry:    I had a really nice portable camera and video tape outfit I bought for $1800 back in the 1980's I finally sold for $50. 

Betamax, anyone?  :(

You got that right! I had a Betamax and loved it... It was an extremely disappointing experience.:angry2: But, I managed to sell it before it was worthless, I even told the buyer that in a very short time he wouldn't be able to rent tapes anymore. No matter, he was really impressed with the picture quality...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bone said:

HDR is high dynamic range. as you probably know, Samsung and sony has merged. sony dropped OLED. as I said, OLED is pricey. But if you purchase the Samsung, with HDR. it will look better than what you have now, and it wiil be cheaper than OLED. Only , to comfuse you and I , OLED prices are coming down... good luck.

Wow, I hadn't heard that about Samsung and Sony.  Will they remain two different corporations, will they combine product lines?

I fully admit to being confused all the tech changes.  Fortunately I'm not shopping for a TV, so ignorance is bliss. 

The last TV I purchased was a Samsung Curved 4k  and I am very happy with it. If I were to get another TV tomorrow it would be a Sumsung 4k again. The upscaling is very good , I would not however pay extra for the curved , I believe the screen would need to be enormous for the curve to be of any real benefit. FWIW until recently I saw a dozen or so different TV's on a daily basis .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

To those that were so kind to respond last August to my post, I thought you all may be interested to know that I've completed the transition to a new TV including mounting it on the fireplace. I ended up purchasing a Sony XBR65X850D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD. I think it looks good where it's mounted and overall it works with the rest of the room. The picture quality is real good, it's for sure an upgrade over the the previous Sony 55". I went with the Sony XBR because it was on sale, the store paid the sales tax and purchasing it at the time was convenient. I'm sure the Samsung that I was going to purchase at Costco would have been fine, but it cost $500 more. The actively crossed Belle center channel parked on the hearth does a good job with nice clear dialogue and the spot is ideal because of the elevated height. I'm a happy camper:)

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x850d-series

anewtv1.JPG

anewtv2.JPG

• Like 1

We bought a LG from Costco and it had a beautiful picture...within 90 days it developed a problem with a green grid. I returned it and bought the Samsung, and i have to say the Samsung picture is not as good as the LG was (while it worked), but we have had it for almost a year now, and it is still working.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DavidH said:

I ended up purchasing a Sony XBR65X850D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD. I think it looks good where it's mounted and overall it works with the rest of the room.

Agree, nice looking front end.  Most people who have to deal with a fireplace ending up pulling their hair out trying to make it work.  You made it work!

Nice job on cable management, btw, very clean.  And what is the tall speaker to the viewer's right of the fireplace?

To those that were so kind to respond last August to my post, I thought you all may be interested to know that I've completed the transition to a new TV including mounting it on the fireplace. I ended up purchasing a SonyXBR65X850D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD. I think it looks good where it's mounted and overall it works with the rest of the room. The picture quality is real good, it's for sure an upgrade over the the previous Sony 55". I went with the Sony XBR because it was on sale, the store paid the sales tax and purchasing it at the time was convenient. I'm sure the Samsung that I was going to purchase at Costco would have been fine, but it cost $500 more. The actively crossed Belle center channel parked on the hearth does a good job with nice clear dialogue and the spot is ideal because of the elevated height. I'm a happy camper:)

Congrats, I have the 2015 version (850C).  Looks like is a couple hundred less than I paid.  A year in, and I'm still impressed. The google "smart" TV aspect is one of the best I've used.

Enjoy!

47 minutes ago, DavidH said:

The actively crossed Belle center channel parked on the hearth does a good job with nice clear dialogue and the spot is ideal because of the elevated height. I'm a happy camper:)

Yea but doesn't the Belle get kinda hot in front of the fireplace?;)

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Agree, nice looking front end.  Most people who have to deal with a fireplace ending up pulling their hair out trying to make it work.  You made it work!

Nice job on cable management, btw, very clean.  And what is the tall speaker to the viewer's right of the fireplace?

Thanks, yep, it works pretty good together. Also thanks for noticing the cables, I put a lot time into routing them all to keep it clean. The cables can go out of control too easily when there's 8 pairs of wires connected to just the speakers on the front wall. I'm also planning on going active with the surrounds, that's another 6 pair... jeez... It's one of the only negative aspects of using active crossovers. The tall speaker to the right of the fireplace is a Danley DTS20 subwoofer.     

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RTR said:

To those that were so kind to respond last August to my post, I thought you all may be interested to know that I've completed the transition to a new TV including mounting it on the fireplace. I ended up purchasing a SonyXBR65X850D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD. I think it looks good where it's mounted and overall it works with the rest of the room. The picture quality is real good, it's for sure an upgrade over the the previous Sony 55". I went with the Sony XBR because it was on sale, the store paid the sales tax and purchasing it at the time was convenient. I'm sure the Samsung that I was going to purchase at Costco would have been fine, but it cost $500 more. The actively crossed Belle center channel parked on the hearth does a good job with nice clear dialogue and the spot is ideal because of the elevated height. I'm a happy camper:)

Congrats, I have the 2015 version (850C).  Looks like is a couple hundred less than I paid.  A year in, and I'm still impressed. The google "smart" TV aspect is one of the best I've used.

Enjoy!

RTR, That's good that your 850C is still working after a year!  I understand the 2015 version is very similar to 850D. So, I quess I don't have to be concerned about reliability (knock on wood). One of the reasons I went with the Sony was that I haven't had any reliability issues with my other Sony products. (I probably shouldn't have said anything:wacko2:)

I'm currently not using the "smart" part of the TV because I have a Roku, but I tried it and it appears to be a user friendly system. It's good to know that it works for you just in case my Roku goes south.  

3 hours ago, DavidH said:

To those that were so kind to respond last August to my post, I thought you all may be interested to know that I've completed the transition to a new TV including mounting it on the fireplace. I ended up purchasing a Sony XBR65X850D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD. I think it looks good where it's mounted and overall it works with the rest of the room. The picture quality is real good, it's for sure an upgrade over the the previous Sony 55". I went with the Sony XBR because it was on sale, the store paid the sales tax and purchasing it at the time was convenient. I'm sure the Samsung that I was going to purchase at Costco would have been fine, but it cost $500 more. The actively crossed Belle center channel parked on the hearth does a good job with nice clear dialogue and the spot is ideal because of the elevated height. I'm a happy camper:)

anewtv1.JPG

anewtv2.JPG

Two things 

1st where did you buy the tv and what did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking into the same model. 

2nd Did you order your Jubs veneered or did you have those built special? 

17 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Two things 

1st where did you buy the tv and what did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking into the same model. 

2nd Did you order your Jubs veneered or did you have those built special? 

Hello Scrappydue, I purchased the Sony XBR65X850D at Frys Electronics a little over a month ago. I picked it up at my local Frys and the cost was slightly less than what's listed on their website. $1,398.00 is the going price at most outlets including Best Buy and Amazon.

http://www.frys.com/product/8756451?source=google&gclid=CIjxyYq2z9ACFQNufgod1GgBtQ

Jubs are clones built by a forum member. https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/160444-jubilee-clone-build-revisited/