The Next Step

Why1504

I have had a Jolida 202A for a long time (12-15 years).  It has gone in and out of service, I have re-tubed it twice.  I recently did the last retuning and swapped the speakers to a set of Herasey's I got a good deal on.  The combination of these changes have brought this system alive.  I now have 100+ hours and know it has improvement still coming.  This system is in my office at work. I use it during the day.

As a result of this success I am considering putting a two channel tube based system at the house.  I really want to ramp this system up.  I don't have room for LaScallias or K-Horns. The system will be based on Cornwalls or a second set of Heraseys.   Give this constraint, what would be considered for pre amp and  Amplifiers?  Source will be LP's CD's and iPod.

thanks in advance.  

You may need an amp with some decent power to push and control the 15 woofer in Cornwalls depending on your listening levels.  Set amps are know for a great midrange , good vocals.  Classical and large band orchestra is more suited to a higher power PP amp.  I am fairly new to this and will let some of the other more knowledgable forum members chime in.  Budget, room size and the final speaker selection will make it easier for recommendations.

I currently have a nice moderately high end home theater (Monitor Audio Gold speakers, Marantz 8802A Processor, 2 15" subs, about 5000 watts total), and a 500wpc solid state two channel system than I am considering dismantling.

My initial thought was to go McIntosh on a tube pre-amp and a MC275 for power.

There's nothing wrong with the little Jolida amp.  In fact, for what it cost, I consider it a great value.  For CWs or Heresys you really don't need anything approaching the power of a Mac 275.  But, if you are determined to go in that direction, there's no need to spend the kind of money that Mac equipment commands based on its "cult" value.  For far less, you can pick up some great vintage Audio Research equipment which, in my opinion, is every bit as good if not better.  And, if you are really lucky, you may be able to find a Lafayette LA-550 which is one of the best sounding amps of all time.  Paired with the Lafayette KT-600 preamp it will surpass almost anything else out there.  Of course, any vintage equipment will need a full restoration which can be somewhat costly, so be sure to factor that into your budget.

Maynard

15 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

There's nothing wrong with the little Jolida amp.  In fact, for what it cost, I consider it a great value.  For CWs or Heresys you really don't need anything approaching the power of a Mac 275.  But, if you are determined to go in that direction, there's no need to spend the kind of money that Mac equipment commands based on its "cult" value.  For far less, you can pick up some great vintage Audio Research equipment which, in my opinion, is every bit as good if not better.  And, if you are really lucky, you may be able to find a Lafayette LA-550 which is one of the best sounding amps of all time.  Paired with the Lafayette KT-600 preamp it will surpass almost anything else out there.  Of course, any vintage equipment will need a full restoration which can be somewhat costly, so be sure to factor that into your budget.

Maynard

Whoa, whoa there Maynard.....Mcintosh "cult"?  That's just a bit harsh don't you think?  I think there are many reasons that Mcintosh gear commands the respect and prices that it does.  And, there are at least two very reputable restoration/repair businesses (mcintoshaudio.com, and Audio Classics) that do stellar work and support the brand both in the tube world and for the solid state products as well.  Of course, there are other vintage products out there that can compete, but not many have the long term reputation, or will hold their resale value like Mcintosh.  Certainly, the MC275 is overkill for a pair of Heresy's.  If the OP really wants to ramp the system up, personally, I would look into a pair of Mcintosh MC30 monoblocs, or an MC240.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, La Scala's have the same footprint as the Cornwall, and I would also encourage the OP to consider a nice pair of Chorus II.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:33 AM, jimjimbo said:

Whoa, whoa there Maynard.....Mcintosh "cult"?  That's just a bit harsh don't you think?  I think there are many reasons that Mcintosh gear commands the respect and prices that it does.  And, there are at least two very reputable restoration/repair businesses (mcintoshaudio.com, and Audio Classics) that do stellar work and support the brand both in the tube world and for the solid state products as well.  Of course, there are other vintage products out there that can compete, but not many have the long term reputation, or will hold their resale value like Mcintosh.  Certainly, the MC275 is overkill for a pair of Heresy's.  If the OP really wants to ramp the system up, personally, I would look into a pair of Mcintosh MC30 monoblocs, or an MC240.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, La Scala's have the same footprint as the Cornwall, and I would also encourage the OP to consider a nice pair of Chorus II.

Spoken like an indoctrinated member of the cult.:P