Turntable

mr.pee1

So I am thinking about a " new " turntable and was wondering about the Technics sl1200's what is it about 40 year old turntables that demand such a high price. My Sanyo from 1975  That I paid 150$ might get 250$ now ,but the sl 1200 are 500 and up. 

The Technics SL1200 series (I have the MkII) are built like tanks, and were heavily used in the DJ world. I picked up two for $300, and sold one to pay for the other. After I cleaned them up, they are just fine. Depending how big into vinyl you are planning to get, there are lots of other options for the same amount of money that I am sure others on here would recommend. The Technics is a direct drive, which many don't like. I've never had a problem with noise from mine (or my other more consumer oriented Technics which is also direct drive).

Bruce

On 8/22/2016 at 9:55 AM, mr.pee1 said:

So I am thinking about a " new " turntable and was wondering about the Technics sl1200's what is it about 40 year old turntables that demand such a high price. My Sanyo from 1975  That I paid 150$ might get 250$ now ,but the sl 1200 are 500 and up. 

A lot of the old high end gear was purchased at the PX when the dollar was $35oz gold.

I recall 3 tractor trailer loads of Throrens turn tables selling in a day when the fleet was anchored in Naples.

• Like 1

MR.PEE1,

Log onto kabusa.com and give Kevin a call. He has several different types of Technics,and is also known in some regards as the Technics 1200 guru. He does everything to them. And his work is know world wide. He can take those tables to the next level from re wiring to arm rebuilds to everything else. You can get a fully redone rewired table for less than $1,000.00.

If you look online as well, you can find fully functioning ones for less than $400.00.

Or maybe just redo your Sanyo

They were still being made as of, about three years ago.  Problem in buying used is many were dj tables and beat to death in clubs and for bad wedding music. IMO it's a buyer beware market on these.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:43 AM, jimjimbo said:

Agree with Bruce above.  Look into the SL 1400 MKII.  Usually can find it for less than the 1200, and IMO, is just as good a table.

I had an SL-1400 MK II for years, and I think it's a better-looking turntable than the SL-1200, but a late-model SL-1200/1210 should sound better.  In 2010, I replaced my 1978 SL-1400 with a 2010 SL-1210M5G.  Using the same headshell, cartridge (the new turntable did not come with a cartridge, of course, so I just pulled the headshell and cart from the 1400 and popped it onto the M5G for the first couple of months), platter mat and record clamp, the improved sound was unmistakable.

The Technics engineers were not sitting on their hands for the decades between the two turntables.  It may have been the improved suspension, it may have been the upgraded tonearm wires, or it may just have been the fact that the new 'table was at its best, while the 1978 1400 was tired in many ways, but the increased clarity and bass authority was easy to notice.

It's not surprising that the new 2016 turntable costs $4000.  The original 1200 had been in production so long that its development costs had long since been amortized, so Technics was able to sell them at bargain prices, even competing with entry-level belt-drive turntables with very basic construction.  The new turntable has a price that more accurately represents its performance level.

Anyway, my recommendation is the Technics Sl-1200/1210.  The 1200 is silver and the 1210 is black.  That's the only difference.  Also, newer and cleaner is better.  A MK5 has LED lights that should last almost forever, unlike the incandescent lights on the MK2 that burn out occasionally.  As well, the speed control on the newer models is more accurate, and has a "0" detent, which can be convenient.  Cleaner may indicate less use and fresher condition, always a good thing.

Having said all that, are you enjoying the Thorens, and are you still thinking of getting a better turntable?

Other Technics direct drive turntable options:  SL 1300...I have always loved mine...and the Technics turntables that began the direct drive craze:  SL 10, SL 12, SL 11, SL 110, SL 120....but these last ones will cost you a pretty penny, since they were top audiophile stuff even way back when...the reputation they made is what got Technics direct-drive turntables in follow-on models to sell like hotcakes at very fair prices!

• Like 1

I used two Technics SL-1500 direct drive TTs with Stanton 681-EEE cartridges in my mobile DJ business.  They were bullet-proof and sounded very good, especially considering the cost involved.  I never needed to go to my spare styli.  The Stantons could be back-cued with no problems.