Do Lascalas / Belles work best on the floor or benefit from short feet

zobsky

Granted, I'm building some sort of 2 way Frankenstein thingy but the bass horn is fundamentally a belle design. Conventional wisdom would dictate that it would sound best directly on the floor but would the addition of short feet (say 2 - 3") alter the response favorably (or unfavorably) by affecting the coupling of the bass horn exit with the floor ?

Thanks

I tried many times to lift my LaScalas (now Peavey FH-1) from the floor : even two inches and the bass was gone and midrange was all over the place. Maybe it's due to my room's acoustics. Give it a try with whatever you can put under them; there's some good chances it will sound like crap!

• Like 2

PWK was against raising them, because of attenuation and degradation of the bass.   Creating a cavity under them is a violation of one of his "cardinal rules."    If you try raising them consider building an apron around the bottom of each speaker cabinet to eliminate a cavity and possibly preserve some loading. 

• Like 1

The horn needs to be in close proximity of boundary reinforcement items such as floors and walls.  Most any speaker provides more (better?) bass that way though is depending on the overall design (level of mids and treble) to if you can make it work or not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, garyrc said:

PWK was against raising them, because of attenuation and degradation of the bass.   Creating a cavity under them is a violation of one of his "cardinal rules."    If you try raising them consider building an apron around the bottom of each speaker cabinet to eliminate a cavity and possibly preserve some loading. 

Thanks, I'm aware of the physics - I just needed to ascertain how these speakers were designed to work.

My bass cabs can be flipped either way. With the doghouse opening faced down - they operate as a conventional belle bass horn. They can also be used independently of the mid-high section (which is why I veneered the top - see pix)

OTOH, with the doghouse opening faced up, they can couple with the additional volume in the (ported mid-high section) resulting in a ported lascala.

Either way, it sounds like the cabinet should ideally sit flush against the floor. 

I elevated my La Scalas, but have insulation directly under them. Bass response is better and overall sound has improved in my use case scenario. This pic was during their move so please excuse the mess, but you can see the height of the stand and the insulation under the cabinet.

IMG_0779.JPG

1 minute ago, baron167 said:

I elevated my La Scalas, but have insulation directly under them. Bass response is better and overall sound has improved in my use case scenario. This pic was during their move so please excuse the mess, but you can see the height of the stand and the insulation under the cabinet.

Yeah, one option I was considering was 1" cabinet feet to couple the cabs to the floor and some A/C foam pipe wrap stuffed in the gaps between the cabinet edges and the feet. I guess we'll see what works best over the next week.

19 hours ago, zobsky said:

Yeah, one option I was considering was 1" cabinet feet to couple the cabs to the floor and some A/C foam pipe wrap stuffed in the gaps between the cabinet edges and the feet. I guess we'll see what works best over the next week.

Keep us posted on what you try.