Streaming music via HDMI

CECAA850

Loving it. I'm hearing more music.....blacker backround, tighter bass, more clarity and definition. Spotify Premium sounds like lossless......the good recordings anyway. Lossless files sound that much better. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

The problem is that USB audio is/was a significant step backwards for audio applications. It wasn't designed for it. If companies simply stated that up-front, many buyers would be much better off.

I'm finding that out as we speak.

The problem is that USB audio is/was a significant step backwards for audio applications. It wasn't designed for it. If companies simply stated that up-front, many buyers would be much better off.

I'm finding that out as we speak.

This is interesting to me. Been thinking about a DAC. I was wondering how to hook it up. I need a maverick tube magic d2 and a mono price audio extractor. 

I run a HDMI cable from my computer to the audio extractor. Then run an optical cable from the extractor to the DAC. Then run some RCA cables from the DAC to my Yamaha RX-A1050 to my Heresy's. Do I need to run the Yamaha in pure direct to turn off the Yamaha's DAC?

Are the two DAC's in the Maverick Tubemagic D2 better than the single SABRE DAC in the Yamaha?  I'm impressed with the "purity" of the sound now. Just like some opinion on if this setup will sound better then what I have.

Currently, I use Spotify Premium on extreme streaming setting from my IPad and either use AirPlay or use Spotify connect on the receiver.  I have hooked up my computer to the HDMI input on the receiver also.

Any information is appreciated before I spend the money on this. 

SOoooo... you are using HDMI out from the PC  >> HDMI audio extractor >> Toslink >> DAC.  

What is it about this that is better than using Toslink straight out from the PC to the DAC?  

Toslink out sucks compared to my USB setup (granted I have a lot invested there).  

Does the HDMI help clean up something for the Toslink connection?  

2 hours ago, muel said:

What is it about this that is better than using Toslink straight out from the PC to the DAC?  

Depends on the available hardware. Some have it, some don't.

2 hours ago, muel said:

Does the HDMI help clean up something for the Toslink connection?  

No. It's just a fancy pipeline to carry the LPCM.

Prior to using this HDMI extractor, I had zero issues streaming Spotify using the USB port out of my laptop.

Now, using the HDMI Extractor the sound is awesome but it will play about 5-6 songs and then will stop and say "Can't play current track". Last night I would just restart Spotify and it would be fine for a while then would act up again.

This morning it did it again but this time I lost sound through the stereo but the sound continued to play through the laptop speakers. Then, the sound mysteriously came back on through the HDMI Extractor through the stereo.

Any idea what's happening or what I should look for?

I think I've got it figured out. I had my laptop set for the screen saver to stay on for something like 20 or 25 minutes......and after that time was up it would go into sleep mode. That's when the the sound would cut out from the HDMI Extractor and then only play from the laptop speakers. I reset the laptop not to go into sleep mode for 4 hours.....been listening for an hour straight with no hiccups. Cool.

Don't know why Spotify said "can't play track"....maybe just a coincidence but I found it odd because Spotify is usually so dependable here it's almost scary. On the other hand, since being forced into Windows 10, some weird things have been going on with Spotify. Nothing major but a little static at the beginning of each song and even some skipping from time to time. However, since inserting the HDMI Extractor yesterday, I haven't heard any of that.

As far as the sleep mode....when I was using the USB out of the laptop, the music woud keep playing through USB even while in sleep mode which was why I was puzzled as to what was going on with this new HDMI EXTRACTOR.

16 hours ago, SWL said:

I think I've got it figured out. I had my laptop set for the screen saver to stay on for something like 20 or 25 minutes......and after that time was up it would go into sleep mode. That's when the the sound would cut out from the HDMI Extractor and then only play from the laptop speakers. I reset the laptop not to go into sleep mode for 4 hours.....been listening for an hour straight with no hiccups. Cool.

Mine did too.  I had to set the screen to not go asleep when running off of the wall plug.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, jimjimbo said:

Do I need to read through this whole thread to find out how good this is, and exactly what you need to do, from start to.....finish?  :emotion-19:

What is your equipment chain and cable type from internet to amp?

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:08 PM, RTR said:

I have hooked up my computer to the HDMI input on the receiver also.

If you're already using HDMI as an input, this isn't necessary.  This work around was for those of us that used USB out of the computer and were trying to get away from it.