Streaming music via HDMI

CECAA850

Why do you think your USB, and Toslink sound different?  I don't get it.

However, the first and only DACs I've used have been Benchmark.  Everything works great.  You plug it in and it works, sounds great.  I have never had any issues and I use all the inputs.

Toslink from a DVD and from a Dish receiver,   Coax from a CDP, USB from my PC.  I don't hear any noticeable quality differences.

Benchmark has 3 sets of outputs.  I feed 3 separate 2 Ch systems with the Benchmark and they all sound great.

I don't get these issues you guys are having at all.

My music server is a basic WinXP in a tower case with 2 external hard drives connected to the PC via a USB.  Then from the PC to Benchmark with another USB.  Nothing special.  I surf the internet while the music plays.  It works perfectly.

I don't get these issues at all.

3 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Why do you think your USB, and Toslink sound different?  I don't get it.

I have absolutely no idea BUT it doesn't take a golden ear to hear the difference.  I have no agenda.  If I spent $50.00 on a box that did absolutely nothing I'd tell everyone not to waste their money.  Scott noticed the same differences that I did, we have no stock in Monoprice.  Chris and Tom have their theories about this and in all honesty they're level of understanding about what is going on is above mine.

I remember trying bi-wiring one time and was excited to hear the improvement I was sure I was going to hear.  After I tried it. I told everyone not to waste their time or money.  If I hear something, I hear it, if I don't I don't.

• Like 1

I think it sounds different because it DOES sound different on my setup.  

Of course, this is where different systems can mean that we aren't talking about entirely the same things.  I'll be glad to go over my configuration and any comparisons I make while trying to keep the number of variables as small as possible... preferably 1. 

I definitely believe you guys and what you are saying happens, and the solutions you found.  i just don't get it right now.

I think you are also correct that different systems makes everyone's mileage vary, and what each of us see and hear could potentially be quite different.  I just wish I could understand what makes these things happen.  :mellow:

Perhaps it's just different densities of dark matter from location to location?

I've found the densities to be pretty constant in my neck of the woods, however...

;)

Some DACs have their own (largish) buffers and very good local clocks... but they're typically fairly expensive, IIRC.  HDMI can do the work for you at a much lower price, I've found (...in my neighborhood, that is). 

One of the most intriguing little bits of physics history that I was exposed to was the Michelson-Morley experiment performed in 1887, trying to prove that the "ether wind" existed, but they never found evidence of the ether wind, however.  Fast forward to the 1980s: there was a recognition that there is something out there in the form of "dark energy" (like the ether, above) that pushes the universe apart, and with it, "dark matter" that comprises 84.5% of the matter of the universe (...yes...we're now in the minority)...except that no one can see dark matter or measure it directly since it apparently doesn't interact with electromagnetic energy.

My conjecture is that there must be local density differences in dark matter from place to place (on an earth-geographic scale) to explain the differences in the physics of acoustics and electromagnetics that PWK observed among his peers during his acoustics career.  While he used a "BS button" to relate those differences among people, I'm more open minded: I think it's tied to dark matter density changes...that we can't measure. 

Perhaps geographical dark matter density changes merely change human perception so that we don't really read the same measurements based on our location.  I don't know, I'm still working on that one.  :mellow:

Chris

Maybe this guy can help.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

I was looking at the particle accelerator ion gun.  Looks like a hot rodded hair drier.

IMHO this website wins the ultimate snake oil award.  I remember several years ago..........and you might be able to find the thread........we were going to buy a "clever little clock" and have a few of us try it out.  Then, came the "pebbles"........and now he's got a ton of stuff.

Maybe there's a dark matter toy in there.  I'm not reading all that crap.........:)

Would a Chromecast work instead of outputting the Spotify stream from a computer?  That way, I could control Spotify from my phone on my couch and not have to get up go over to the computer to change songs if I wanted to .....

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have no idea on the Chromecast.

Where on the Gulf Coast will you be located RTR?

Looking at the area between Pass Christian, MS and Fairhope, AL.  I know that's a hundred miles in between. My parents retired on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and I really like the area.  I like both. They are laid back communities and one is on the gulf and the other on Mobile Bay. 

Tomorrow is my last day at work. I was fortunate and was offered a good retirement package and I took it. Be down there by December before it gets cold here. Need to find a house quickly. Looking forward to it. Met good people in both areas.

• Like 1

I don't get these issues you guys are having at all.

When I was using USB I had absolutely no problems at all. When Carl posted about what he found with the HDMI extractor I figured I'd give it a try..... part of the reason was because we have the same DAC.

Like what he said earlier, you don't need a golden ear to be able to hear the difference. USB sounded very good in my configuration.....HDMI with the extractor happens to sound a whole lot better.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RTR said:

Would a Chromecast work instead of outputting the Spotify stream from a computer?  That way, I could control Spotify from my phone on my couch and not have to get up go over to the computer to change songs if I wanted to .....

If you download remoteless helper on your pc and install the spotify connect app on your phone, you can control the Spotify on the computer. Also works on a tablet if desired. You need to have WiFi available and enabled on your device. Works flawlessly in my set up.

http://remoteless.no/helpers/

• Like 1