Streaming music via HDMI

CECAA850

Anyone here doing it?  If so, how are you getting it to your DAC if it doesn't have a HDMI input.  I just ordered one of THESE but haven't received or tried it yet.  Seems to be a lot more economical than purchasing a new DAC with HDMI inputs.  I've been trying to get away from streaming over USB for a while and this seemed like a good alternative.

When I do it... and it isnt very often... I use hdmi.

I dont do it very often because... the music dies when I do. It doesnt sound bad, but it looses it's life and I biught a brand new ssd i7 laptop to try and find life. 

Are there not reclockers that go from hdmi to digital coax?

12 minutes ago, Schu said:

I dont do it very often because... the music dies when I do.

Have you used USB and was HDMI better?  That's what I'm going to be trying.  I edited my original post to reflect that I was trying to get away from USB.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Anyone here doing it?  If so, how are you getting it to your DAC if it doesn't have a HDMI input. 

I stream from my PC wirelessly to my Cambridge Audio 751BD and HDMI to my NAD T175HD pre/pro and use it's DAC.

Bill

1 hour ago, Schu said:

When I do it... and it isnt very often... I use hdmi.

I dont do it very often because... the music dies when I do. It doesnt sound bad, but it looses it's life and I biught a brand new ssd i7 laptop to try and find life. 

Are there not reclockers that go from hdmi to digital coax?

What is your equipment path from the pc to your amps?

Carl, might I ask why you are going away from USB?  I just ordered a decent USB cable to stream Spotify Premium from my laptop to my Oppo 105D.  The Oppo has an excellent DAC in it.  Should have it tomorrow, and will let you know how it sounds....to me....

That looks like an interesting device there Carl. Should work ok for what you described. Looking forward to your thoughts....

As far as USB, Tom may be referring to standard USB connections. The USB Asynchronous DAC in the Oppo 105 reduces jitter which is common via a USB connection and bypasses the computer sound card and DAC.

I have my 105 connected 3 different ways to my PC, HDMI, Optical and to the USB asynchronous dac. With that being said, I can't tell much difference between optical and the USB inputs. (Those 2 methods utilize the Belle's for 2 channel listening) The HDMI is for HT with the other speakers.

There's going to be what looks like a good Q & A next week on AVS

http://www.avsforum.com/get-ready-for-ask-me-anything-defining-high-res-audio/

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

It appears that an asynchronous dac is the way to go if using usb.  Seems it's a moot point and not needed if using digital coax or optical.  I'm thinking my little box will do the trick.

Great info.

Look into the hdacc http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/hdacc/ 

The DAC works well, takes HDMI USB and has one analog input.  $499

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/essence-high-definition-audio-control-center/

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/essence-hdacc-dac-headphone-amplifier#JG6PldG4eGMcZB2P.97

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Seems it's a moot point and not needed if using digital coax or optical.  I'm thinking my little box will do the trick.

^This.

Asynchronous hardware is a patch to make a serial interface, not originally intended for streaming, to work.

Can it? Yes, but at the end of the day you'll have spent more money and fuss attempting to wring-out the sound quality of a USB connection. It's simply a matter of re-inventing the wheel. Arguably, USB is convenient until you check your wallet in pursuit of the better sound.

The highly lucrative market for clockers didn't exist until manufactures started slapping USB ports on everything audio.:emotion-55:

10 hours ago, pzannucci said:

But it's 10 times the cost of the solution I was looking at.

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

But it's 10 times the cost of the solution I was looking at.

Sorry, I didn't see a proposed price of a solution.  I'm just pointing out an excellent solution for HDMI use if you want quality.  Not sure you will get quality sound with a lot of other options.

If you find a good $50 option for HDMI that provides very good sound, make sure you keep us in the loop.