Streaming music via HDMI

CECAA850

16 minutes ago, Chris A said:

By the way, you don't want to know about phonograph cartridge modulation distortion levels: it will make your hair fall out when you see the magnitude of those sidebands and the wide frequency spacing of them from the modulated frequencies from test records. 

Now I know why I got rid of my turntable years ago.  

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Thanks to Tom (quiethollow) for pushing me in this direction and answering my questions.

You're welcome Carl. :emotion-22:

6 hours ago, Chris A said:

A ride cymbal or high hat being playing on top of a walking bass line is one of the most audible examples of that.  Almost all analog recordings can be immediately identified by listening to the cymbals.

+1 :emotion-21:

7 hours ago, Chris A said:

Until a successor to USB is chosen for digital audio that doesn't have the same clocking/lack of handshaking issue as S/PDIF (including TOSLINK), I'd recommend staying with HDMI.

That, or just stick with what works better in the first place. The problem is that USB audio is/was a significant step backwards for audio applications. It wasn't designed for it. If companies simply stated that up-front, many buyers would be much better off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWL said:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13349

Just to be clear.....this is the one you actually have? The one in the link you provided looks different from the one in your pic.

That's the one.  The switcher that I sent back didn't work.  It needed a hdmi device on the input and output.  This one doesnt.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

The link he posted was for a switcher, and required an hdmi device on each side. Monoprice recommended th extractor (which is also less expensive), shown in the pic and what your link is to.

Bruce

Thanks for summing it up perfectly Bruce.

7 hours ago, SWL said:

Carl, thanks for posting this. As happy as I am with my current setup I may give this a try since everything lines up similar to what you've got going on and we have the same DAC.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

You're in for a treat.  There's no way you won't notice a difference. 

• Like 1