Streaming music via HDMI

CECAA850

On 10/22/2016 at 5:19 PM, Quiet_Hollow said:

The source of the confusion earlier in the thread lies in lumping all the hardware under one term "digital" for use in the logic argument, "all digital is the same."

They are not, and it is not..particularly the various resultant forms (and subsequently perception) of any distortion(s)...an entirely different topic.

The audible difference at play here is largely the conversion between transport layers, which frankly doesn't need to take place.

OhOwell_zpsc79ae547.gif

My theory on this whole thread is inexpensive DAC with poor clocking and hence lousy USB performance.  If you buy a $199.00 DAC you will get $199.00 performance.

With the Benchmark DAC have, and others have mentioned the Oppo 105..........you don't have these problems and don't notice a difference between USB, optical, and coax inputs.  Of course these DACs cost quite a bit more.

The nice thing is that someone discovered a way around this by feeding the inexpensive DAC a more digestable meal.

I can say this:  I don't know. 

It could be a couple of other things, too, like clocking issues (which could be related to power supply problems) or more likely, conversion from one digital format to another, as Tom has stated.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:15 PM, mark1101 said:

The nice thing is that someone discovered a way around this by feeding the inexpensive DAC a more digestable meal.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, USB audio runs in isochronous or adaptive mode which is quite distinct from asynchronous mode. Where the crap hits the fan is when, in either of the two previous modes, the USB controller interlaces the channels, which it has to because of the way USB is designed to handle audio. Distortion occurs when the signal is parsed back into S-PDIF or I2S. Anyone that has experienced de-interlacing problems in video knows the result when you attempt playback of interlaced signals on hardware designed exclusively for progressive content. There is no concrete definition for this type of audio distortion, but it does occur and is easy to discern in a comparative situation.

The solution is simple. Don't do it. The TubeMagic has the option to accept S-PDIF, hence the extractor to grab that off of an HDMI cable. The result is better sound.

This isn't a discovery per say.  It's all about understanding and managing the hardware.

FYI, the engine room of the DAC-2 (the SABRE³² ES9018) costs ~$50. Easily smoked by ST's FFX, CSR's DDFA, or the like.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Any thoughts on doing this with 5.1 audio?

I'd like to play some 5.1 music from DVD.  I have the amplifiers, but need to drive them with analog audio.  How can I do this?  Does someone make a 5.1 extractor with decent noise floor?

I'm planning on putting my Klipschorns in the living room as front channel, La Scalas as the rear channel, a Heresy as center, and a THTLP as the sub.

Thanks for the help.

8 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Any thoughts on doing this with 5.1 audio?

I'd like to play some 5.1 music from DVD.  I have the amplifiers, but need to drive them with analog audio.  How can I do this?  Does someone make a 5.1 extractor with decent noise floor?

I'm planning on putting my Klipschorns in the living room as front channel, La Scalas as the rear channel, a Heresy as center, and a THTLP as the sub.

Thanks for the help.

Maybe an AVR with preouts? Could go for an older higher end denon/marantz/whatever with hdmi and preouts, decent dacs.