Considering Belle build with 1.25" plywood sides on bass cabinet

longdrive03

Thinking about a Belle building using 1.25" birch ply I have for the sides of the base cabinet.  I've seen 1" mdf or layered sides.  I've built a couple of sets of Lascala' and Speakerlab K (in the 70's.  

Is 1.25" too much?  I realize the outer edges will be thicker than the front top and bottom edges.  Need some input as to whether that would look whacky.

Would I need the bass cabinet bracing if I go this route?  I've got K-33s and some EV SM120 mid horns so I may take a stab at the project.  I've read some good reports on this horn.  I've got some Peavey mid drivers that I might try (need to check on  400HZ xover point first).  Will probably make different top front boards to play with different horns.  .  

The plywood is great for a workbench top.  I built 3 with my friend for his huge workshop. 

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks.

photo 2.JPG

1 hour ago, longdrive03 said:

Thinking about a Belle building using 1.25" birch ply I have for the sides of the base cabinet.  I've seen 1" mdf or layered sides.  I've built a couple of sets of Lascala' and Speakerlab K (in the 70's.  

Is 1.25" too much?  I realize the outer edges will be thicker than the front top and bottom edges.  Need some input as to whether that would look whacky.

Would I need the bass cabinet bracing if I go this route?  I've got K-33s and some EV SM120 mid horns so I may take a stab at the project.  I've read some good reports on this horn.  I've got some Peavey mid drivers that I might try (need to check on  400HZ xover point first).  Will probably make different top front boards to play with different horns.  .  

The plywood is great for a workbench top.  I built 3 with my friend for his huge workshop. 

They would look fine. See mine at 

Depending on how you implement the top, .. it might make sense to double up on the sides of the mid-high cabinet too, or at least give it that appearance.

Yes, bracing the floor may be necessary.  This stuff aint light.  I can barely rip a sheet on my table saw by myself.  I got 12 sheets of this stuff at an estate sale for  $75.00.   Good birch on one side.  I cut some up in 1" thick strips and turned them sideways to make ends on a subwoofer build.   Goes for about $120 a sheet I'm told on special order only.  

Heck why not.

Thoughts on whether the  the angular bracing between the sides and the top of the doghouse?????

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

EV SM120A are fantastic horn lenses and make a very happy marriage with Klipsch K55V - even better, remove the bug screen at the driver output.

Here's my Peavey FH-1 based speakers (used to be LaScalas); your speakers are going to sound very similar to mine!

DVador1.jpg

How many ply ??

Any idea country made in?

Sub ends look beautiful. Did you pass through a wide belt sander ?

I am sooo excited of all your future projects w that stuff.   Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie
I always have more to say !!!!

I believe the plywood was made here in the good old USA. There are non-plies. Five plies are 3/16 of an inch thick and for flies are one 16th of an inch thick. I only have three sheets  left.

I might do a fake double thickness up at the top to match the 1.25"  size of the bass cabinet. I won't need that thick of side panels on the top since it's not really doing with the bass  vibration. 

actually I think I got 13 sheets of it.

I built my Belles with 3/4" and no brace without issues.  Beings that it is a shorter cabinet and you will be using 1.5" plywood, I don't think you will need the bracing.  Also I think the Belle can go up to 600hz, so the Peavey mid driver you want to use can be crossed higher.  Good luck with the build.

17 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

Yes, bracing the floor may be necessary.  This stuff aint light.  I can barely rip a sheet on my table saw by myself.  I got 12 sheets of this stuff at an estate sale for  $75.00.   Good birch on one side.  I cut some up in 1" thick strips and turned them sideways to make ends on a subwoofer build.   Goes for about $120 a sheet I'm told on special order only.  

Heck why not.

Thoughts on whether the  the angular bracing between the sides and the top of the doghouse?????

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

Very nice.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2016 at 11:36 AM, longdrive03 said:

photo 2.JPG

As far as the difference in panel thickness you will have a bit of a problem if you try to miter (45) your corner edge banding joints if you veneer the cabinets. You may have to just use butt joints which is fine.

• 4 weeks later...