Time for a refresh! Home Theater Recommendations

bkervaski

Hi All,

Time for a home theater refresh! I have the video covered, overwhelmed by the audio choices.  I've narrowed it down to Klipsch.  No clue on Amp.

This is a 15x18 room with 9' drop ceilings and thick carpet.

I've done a ton of research so far but I just wanted to straight up ask for the community recommendations on speakers and an amp to drive them.

I'm coming from a Bose Lifestyle system which has been just okay, looking for a more premium setup this time around.

I have my eye on the RP-280 setup but think it may be overkill for the size of my room.

Thinking about a Denon AVR-X2300W or AVR-X3300W, thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, bkervaski said:

I have my eye on the RP-280 setup but think it may be overkill for the size of my room.

Definitely not overkill for a 2430ft3 room.  With that said, your system will sound big in your room and many of us prefer it that way.  Coming form a Bose Lifestyle, it will sound real big.:o;):D

I you can afford it, I think you should opt for the 3300 which is well equipped and has multichannel preouts if you ever wanted to add an outboard amp to the mix.

Bill

My current setup lasted about 6 years but I really wanted a lot more sound this time around .. I liked the minimalist setup that the Bose system offered but frankly they didn't do the job .. I resisted getting full size speakers due to the size of the room ..

41 minutes ago, bkervaski said:

This is my list so far:

(2) RP-260F
(1) RP-440C
(2) RP-250S
(1) R-112SW
AVR-X3300W

.. in my cart .. just need a reason to click "Buy Now" .. ugh .. decisions

I don't think those 280's are overwhelming at all.  I run RF-7ii's in a 15x20 room and think nothing of it.  I wouldn't do this personally unless money is an issue.  

You're going to get tired of that sub for home theater, that's not enough.  I'd start with one R-115SW with the goal being two if you can't get both at first.  They dig much deeper than the 12's.  Two 15's will light up your room pretty good.  One 12, not so much.  

That receiver... it's Atmos enabled but I see you have no Atmos speakers.  If you're considering the 280's anyway, now would be a good time to get the new RP-280FA's with the bult in height speakers rather than decide to try the modules later.  This is all assuming that ceiling speakers aren't an option.  

• Like 1

That receiver... it's Atmos enabled but I see you have no Atmos speakers.  If you're considering the 280's anyway, now would be a good time to get the new RP-280FA's with the bult in height speakers rather than decide to try the modules later.  This is all assuming that ceiling speakers aren't an option.  

My goal was to do the ceiling speakers later.  I was really more concerned with if there is enough content to actually take advantage of the Atmos tech.

Okay, great info! 

Please keep the recommendations coming, you guys are great!!!

To each their own, but your money will go 3-4 x as far on the secondary market (or even much, much further if you are really lucky (yes, I am bragging about my $550 Khorns + Belle off craigslist again)) and you'll be happier in the end really planning out an end game for your system rather than just going all-in on a system all at once. 

I am not sure what a new set of top of the line reference speakers goes for these days. I paid 1100 each for my RF-83's 8 years ago (and went all on with a RC-64, RS-52's also) now they can be had for ~700 per pair. I would still put them up against any of the newer offerings, but I certainly could have scored a much better deal on used gear had I been patient. 

A separate outboard amp is in my opinion one of the best investments you can make. Feel free to use an AVR for a while, but it is almost pointless going big on reference gear if you aren't going to power them with an outboard amp. You'll be leaving a lot of headroom on the table without one. You don't have to spend a fortune, but an Emotiva, Outlaw or Parasound is well worth it in my view. Then just skip the AVR and go with a cheap processor. The processors come and go quickly, but an amp will always hold value. 

And finally, I wish someone would have told me this when I started out, I have come to believe that powered commercial subwoofers are the biggest scam going in home theater. Listen to guys here like Derrick, Scrappy and all the dudes over at AVS forum and build a DIY sub out of the gate that will destroy 99% of the subs on the market today and cost 1/20th of the price. 

Make the 450 fit. I've owned all three and there is no way I would settle for any less tha the 450c. Where are you located? 

Also I owned the r-112sw In 11x17 room and it just was not impressive even a little bit. Didn't dig deep. Ran out of gas really quick with the 260 setup I had at the time. 

16 hours ago, bkervaski said:

Hi All,

Time for a home theater refresh! I have the video covered, overwhelmed by the audio choices.  I've narrowed it down to Klipsch.  No clue on Amp.

I've done a ton of research so far but I just wanted to straight up ask for the community recommendations on speakers and an amp to drive them.

I'm coming from a Bose Lifestyle system which has been just okay, looking for a more premium setup this time around.

Thanks for any help!

Bill

I think the RP-280 would be perfect for the size of that room - my room is just a little bigger than yours by about a foot in each direction and I had three Cornwalls up front. The RP-280's will do fine in that room :D 

12 hours ago, holtrp said:

To each their own, but your money will go 3-4 x as far on the secondary market (or even much, much further if you are really lucky (yes, I am bragging about my $550 Khorns + Belle off craigslist again)) and you'll be happier in the end really planning out an end game for your system rather than just going all-in on a system all at once. 

I've got Khorn envy:angry::o!!!!!  However I'm also happy for you too :D!!! That was the deal of a life time bar none!!!!! 

You mention a drop ceiling.  If you are in a basement, check the joist height.  Ceiling speakers for Atmos will work.  The joist height where the speakers need to be place should have a clearance of 5 1/2 to 6 inches.  I elected in-ceiling over the add on modules due to more placement options and also to get a beefier speaker.

Also consider some in-wall surrounds.  A pair can be brought for the cost of a single surround.  I use to think that the in-walll or in-ceiling was a compromise but, they are not.  My in-walls have a 6 1/2 in. woofer like my RS 35's.  They are every bit has powerful and sound quality is not a problem.  Both of these type of speakers are relatively easy to install.  My in-wall and in-ceiling are not Klipsch and are a great timber match for the Reference speakers.