A newbie and a story

Cohoangler

I’m another newbie here.  Just signed up.  I'm happy to be here. 

Most forum/blogs usually require a story from anyone who is new to the site.  So, in that tradition, here’s my story:

I’ve been listening to Klipsch speakers for the better part of 30 years.  I bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers in the mid 1980’s or so (memory is fading).  Heresy II’s with cabinets in unfinished birch.  I finished them with stain and urethane. I’ve never heard better sounding speakers.

I also make a habit of visiting my local GoodWill stores to see what bargains I can find.  I’ve never seen a pair of Klipsch speakers at a GW store. Ever.  Until last Sunday (8/21/16).  I almost fell over when I walked into my local GW store and found a perfect set of Klipsch kg 3.2’s  in oak!  The price was $100.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with another set of large speakers, but I could not resist.  So I bought them on the spot, although I was convinced something was wrong with them (which is why they were at GW).  When I got them home, I hooked them up.  Much to my surprise, they worked perfectly!  No problems with any of the components.  They sounded terrific.  Not quite as good as my Heresy II’s but close.  I was thrilled.

Now get this.  Two days later (yesterday), I was visiting another GW store about 10 miles away.   What do I find?  Another set of Klipsch speakers!!  This was a set of kg 4’s!  The cabinets were solid black.  The components seemed to be in good shape, although the cabinets were rough.  Dents, scratches and water marks were common.  The price was $70.  I thought long and hard about buying yet another set of Klipsch speakers.  But alas, I walked out without buying them.  I may still go back there to get them, but I’m still debating.  I have nowhere to put them, so I would likely get them for re-sale or as a gift.  But a pair of kg 4’s for $70 seems like a steal.

What are the odds of not seeing any Klipsch speakers at any GW stores for many years, and then see two sets in three days!   I'm not sure who would ever consider donating perfectly good Klipsch speakers to GW, but it happens....

I’m happy to be on this forum.  I’ll contribute whatever I can.  Thanks for the opportunity to share some stories.

Edited by Cohoangler
spacing
  • Like 1

yep, pretty dang good story, and welcome from another newbie.

58 minutes ago, babadono said:

Cool story and Welcome. I'm still waiting to stumble onto some Jubilees:)

if I find your Jubs, maybe we can trade - for the Belles I want, or something like that?    :)  I'm thinking maybe I should start scrounging thru the GW stores & such near me.  who knows what one will find

For those interested, 99.5% of the stereo components at GW are low-end cheap stuff.  Not worth buying, even at GW prices.  Occasionally, I’ll find halfway decent stuff like Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, or JBL speakers.  But never Klipsch. 

However, I can’t say that anymore……  Now, if I can find some Carver components at GW, I’ll be even more amazed!

Perhaps I shouldn’t be.  If I can find two sets of Klipsch kg’s at GW, anything is possible. 

• Like 3

My Mom was the Garage Sale Queen of South Jersey years ago, and she used to take me out on early Saturday mornings to troll all of the local sales....There was hardly a time when she would see a sign and pass it by, because as she always said, and I remember and quote this to my wife quite often......"You never know"............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cohoangler said:

For those interested, 99.5% of the stereo components at GW are low-end cheap stuff.  Not worth buying, even at GW prices.  Occasionally, I’ll find halfway decent stuff like Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, or JBL speakers.  But never Klipsch. 

However, I can’t say that anymore……  Now, if I can find some Carver components at GW, I’ll be even more amazed!

Perhaps I shouldn’t be.  If I can find two sets of Klipsch kg’s at GW, anything is possible. 

Welcome to the mad house.

I agree that most isn't worth it, even if it's free. I will say that id it says JBL or Polk or.... you might be passing on something worth a try, like KG4. :P

I am a firm believer in Craigslist, garage sales, salvation army, thrift stores, etc. Online classifieds are still the best bang for buck over brick and mortar stores since you don't have to drive anywhere. 

I got a passable Marantz 2225 for $40 and flipped it for $175.

I got a Marantz 2235b for $70

I got a Marantz 2270 with a wood case in great condition for $100

And my once-in-a-lifetime, home run score, 2 Khorns and a Belle in great condition for $550.

People seem to be catching on though, there are always trolls locally posting WTB Vintage Audio Gear!!! and I haven't seen any really decent equipment come up for the last two years around here. 

Also, another resource you might check, there seems to be a massive network of 'pickers' that have sprung up over the past few years. I am pretty sure these people are trolling GW and the thrift stores on a weekly basis too. Probably in response to the TeeVee shows that are on. I have talked to the local one around here, but they rarely run across anything worth getting AV wise. Except for vinyl. I have found some excellent $4 per vinyl from them. 

10 minutes ago, jdbeachbum said:

Well, just missed my deal of the century by a couple hours on a craigslist ad that just sold this afternoon here in Annapolis. A designer series Klipscorn in black ash for $250. Here is a picture of the add that is SOLD. 

image.png

Dude. That totally sucks. I genuinely feel bad for you.

Welcome Cohoangler.....

Good score at the GW for sure.....  Sometimes you just can't turn a deal away..... Congrats on the new/old Klipsch :D

6 hours ago, Cohoangler said:

Now, if I can find some Carver components at GW

I think I would crapp my self if I walked into GW and saw a Big Carver sitting on the shelf....like a TFM-55:o

MKP :-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holtrp said:

And my once-in-a-lifetime, home run score, 2 Khorns and a Belle in great condition for $550.

Wait…..  What!?  You got 2KHorns and a Belle for $550!?   That's a deal of a lifetime.  Jealous!    Nice score…...  I can only wish for that kind of luck.  

2 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Welcome Cohoangler.....

Good score at the GW for sure.....  Sometimes you just can't turn a deal away..... Congrats on the new/old Klipsch :D

I think I would crapp my self if I walked into GW and saw a Big Carver sitting on the shelf....like a TFM-55:o

MKP :-)

Actually, I've come close to getting Carver stuff at GW twice.  Once, I walked into GW, and a guy was standing in the check out line with a Carver CD player in his hands.  I noticed the rack handles, and then looked closer.  I saw the big CARVER logo on the front.  I knew I was a few minutes too late.  Another time, I walked past the drop off station outside.  Sitting on the ground was a huge Carver amp.  Somebody just donated it. They dropped it outside at the donation door and left!  I could have picked it up and walked off with it.  But I was honest.  I walked inside to the front counter and asked if I could buy it.  They said no.  They had to catalog it, price it, and check the inventory. But it would likely be on the shelf within either two hours or two days.  I went back several times over the next couple days but never saw it again.

But I digress.   This is a Klipsch forum, not a Carver forum.

But I keep looking….