Chicago Members, It's Been a While

derrickdj1

Pretty sure I have the DVD or CD for most or all of these tunes, Youtube would be a lower or low res version for comparison.

for the gear, we could use the high res DVD or CD, to see if it's a little smoother, sweeter, emotive, resonant....somehow with bad recordings, mastering, compression, sampling rates and quantization-errort he emotion is squeezed out of the music...... the gear can only hope to recreate it if it's in tact on the source.

I like the DVDs and for critical listening you can scan the image and listen for the various instruments, still no better than the source.

From the Dance DVD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM

You are correct.  I tried a few videos and the quality was very poor for critcal listening.  How much better is a high res. DVD or CD compared to the regular disc.  It would be really nice to get excellent source material.  It does not matter what gear is used, it all starts at the source.  Anything you can contribute would be great!

I meant high res compared to the YouTube versions, std CD quality is most of the stuff out there.

This one popped up on my suggestions from 1976, Fleetwood Mac,

I think they have the same condition I do: weight gain, hair loss and lower energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmRb3MlpHQ

I will bring some Cds and DVDs for the stuff I posted above.

Hoovephonic needs a PC to play with a player that supports multi region like VLC

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player-64-bit/3000-13632_4-75761094.html

6 hours ago, Bubo said:

I meant high res compared to the YouTube versions, std CD quality is most of the stuff out there.

This one popped up on my suggestions from 1976, Fleetwood Mac,

I think they have the same condition I do: weight gain, hair loss and lower energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmRb3MlpHQ

I will bring some Cds and DVDs for the stuff I posted above.

Hoovephonic needs a PC to play with a player that supports multi region like VLC

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player-64-bit/3000-13632_4-75761094.html

A PC will be available.  VLC is a video down load media player and should not be a problem to stream or direct connect to the system.  The Hooverphonic video is a really nice one.  Thank!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I said I was not going to mess with any of my settings on the avr because it might be hard to get things dialed in correctly before the gtg.  This week I am going to split the subs into two groups for system EQ.  Previously, I just EQ'ed all the subs as one.  Also, I did not have to fight with the avr since the older Pioneer Elite SC 35 only EQ'ed the subs down to 63 Hz.  Now, to make changes in the 20-100 Hz area I will be adjusting the I Nuke DSP.  Getting the SC 99 DSP to work in harmony with the I Nukes will be a challenge, lol.

I have a really hard time picking out which is better for music, tube vs SS.  The SC 99 just shines for 2 ch.  It will be interesting getting some other opinions at the gtg.  I also have to get the subs right so the thunder Gods show up for the Dolby Atmos.  A buddy gave me 350 GB of some of the best demo movie clips.

Well, I think I have some decent hours on the Yaquin tube amp which should be a bit better for the SQ.  I have switched to all Tung-Sol tubes.  The stock tubes are also nice but, I can't get enough breakin' hours on both. Still tweaking the bass for the SS 2 channel but, it is coming, I hope, lol.  Waiting to the last minute to move a few things around the room.

DSCN2218.JPG

SC-99_large_angle_right.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  15 TB is a lot Mike.  I am just getting close to 3/4 of a TB.  You or Murphy could help on the music selection.  Even some movie demo clips would be nice since the ones that have seem to stop and pause a lot.  I do have a lot Blurays for demo.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I've been working on getting the bass balance.  The sound quality has been good but, the gain structure of the 8 subs could be better for MCACC Pro.  Interestingly, I detected two other problems that definitely need to be fixed with two of the subwoofers.  It seem like something always comes up when you are trying to do a gtg, lol.  I guess better to know now than the day of the event.:(

• Like 1

Subwoofer problems corrected.  The gain structure still was not to my liking so, I started from scratch.  Everything level matched,  phase correct, ect. and this is what I got with autocalibration.:blink:  I even boosted 20 Hz, 8db.  Can I fix this.  The presentation for the GTG has the answer!  I think?;)

Oct 1, 2016 Mains Large.png

Derrick,

I mentioned the GTG to the wife......she was concerned about the whole ax murderer thing......I promised her I would leave my ax at home...:angry: I was thinking about bringing a set of Quartets. ....the black ones I refinished in walnut....Just not sure....So far planning on making the trip

G.E.M.

hey gang,

I oh so much want to make it you this GTG so I can meet and jam with you all. As we know, none of the planning is easy. Even if it's all planned out, there is always an assessment and changes made to critique everything from the weather to the food.....okay, the weather is what it is. The Amps, the speakers, the cables, the cable hangers, the strippers, the.... < I meant wire strippers.

I have a couple of things that might keep me away, but if i can, I will be there too. If not, it's my loss.  :(

1 hour ago, oldred said:

Derrick,

I mentioned the GTG to the wife......she was concerned about the whole ax murderer thing......I promised her I would leave my ax at home...:angry: I was thinking about bringing a set of Quartets. ....the black ones I refinished in walnut....Just not sure....So far planning on making the trip

G.E.M.

I am looking forward to seeing you.  The black Quartets are beautiful.  I have never heard them.

43 minutes ago, Weber said:

hey gang,

I oh so much want to make it you this GTG so I can meet and jam with you all. As we know, none of the planning is easy. Even if it's all planned out, there is always an assessment and changes made to critique everything from the weather to the food.....okay, the weather is what it is. The Amps, the speakers, the cables, the cable hangers, the strippers, the.... < I meant wire strippers.

I have a couple of things that might keep me away, but if i can, I will be there too. If not, it's my loss.  :(

James it is great to here you are considering making the trip.  If you travel that far, you will get the special guest award.  I have not figured out how to multi-quoute with this new forum layout.