Chicago Members, It's Been a While

derrickdj1

The gtg was a lot of fun and the fellowship was great. All of the guys pitched in to help make this a nice gathering.  Thanks to all the guys that came and made this a special day!  My wife said the guys were polite and so respectfull of our home.  She was amazed at how neat things were after the gtg.:)  More later.

• Like 2

Derrick thanks for having me over today!  Your room set up is very impressive.  The Klipsch set up sounds so clear at all volume levels.  The bass is nuts to with your 8-18's you can feel the pressurize when you played bass I love you.  It was also nice meeting the guys on the forum they all were really cool to talk to.  I wish I could of stayed and heard the tube amps playing two channel maybe next time.  Thanks again the day was a lot of fun!!!

• Like 1

Derrick, thanks again for your hospitality and the great demo's of your amazing system!!  Had a terrific time seeing some old friends and meeting some new.  As I told you, I had never experienced a home theater setup like yours, and I was stunned at the power of your subs, and the great movie sound.  Already looking forward to the next event.

• Like 1

Derrick,

Thank you so much for hosting us.

Best

Mark

PS several asked that I post the info on the DVD, it's Euro Format only and goes for about $15 on Amazon. Worth every penny IMHO.

Does anyone know the name of the Media Player we were using it seemed to perform well,

I usually use VLC for Vids and Media Monkey for my home NAS playback on a lap top.

Hooverphonic%20-%20With%20Orchestra%20Li

Winston's Masterpiece

600x600.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

The gtg was a lot of fun and the fellowship was great. All of the guys pitched in to help make this a nice gathering.  Thanks to all the guys that came and made this a special day!  My wife said the gys were polite and so respectfull of our home.  She was amazed at how neat things were after the gtg.:)  More later.

Derrick, which Morchiba LP were you playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5n99LwW92M

Nice acoustic version

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Derrick,

Your hospitality was second to none...Thanks!

Your system ...One word...... WOW.

Your presentation on multiple sub calibration and setup was very informative.

Mark.... Your choice of music was definitely one of the best female vocal sound tracks I ever heard...I will be ordering it.

jimjimbo...I read reviews about the dragonfly DAC but until today I had never heard one....Thanks,

I was really nice to finally be able to meet all of you guys.

Derrick once again.....your system really ROCKS the neighborhood......Literally.......  8.... 18's no wonder I can here you from here.

Thank your wife for me.

Thanks again,

G.E.M.

• Like 1

Derrick

Thanks for hosting. REALLY impressed with your system. Never heard RF7 II 's or Atmos  before and was not expecting to be as impressed as I was with either one. I though Atmos might be gimmicky but it reminded me of going from stereo playback of Movies to 5.1/7.1 I really liked it  ! Glad I didn't bring my sub would've been like pouring a glass  of water into the ocean :lol: . Really nice group at the GTG ! I could spend weeks in your basement ! I found it very comfortable and of course that setup made it really enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2016 at 7:16 PM, Weber said:

hey gang,

I oh so much want to make it you this GTG so I can meet and jam with you all. As we know, none of the planning is easy. Even if it's all planned out, there is always an assessment and changes made to critique everything from the weather to the food.....okay, the weather is what it is. The Amps, the speakers, the cables, the cable hangers, the strippers, the.... < I meant wire strippers.

I have a couple of things that might keep me away, but if i can, I will be there too. If not, it's my loss.  :(

You missed a good time!:D:D:D

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eng-399 said:

Derrick thanks for having me over today!  Your room set up is very impressive.  The Klipsch set up sounds so clear at all volume levels.  The bass is nuts to with your 8-18's you can feel the pressurize when you played bass I love you.  It was also nice meeting the guys on the forum they all were really cool to talk to.  I wish I could of stayed and heard the tube amps playing two channel maybe next time.  Thanks again the day was a lot of fun!!!

The guys on the Klipsch forum are some great guys.  I was surprised on how fast the time flew by.  Quit a few things that I wanted to do, we just didn't have time.  But, we did have time for the most important thing which was fun and fellowship.

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Derrick, thanks again for your hospitality and the great demo's of your amazing system!!  Had a terrific time seeing some old friends and meeting some new.  As I told you, I had never experienced a home theater setup like yours, and I was stunned at the power of your subs, and the great movie sound.  Already looking forward to the next event.

Thanks for bringing the amp.  I love the SQ of it and that was the sound that stuck in my head over the past 3 years when I first heard.  Definitely a keeper.

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

Thank you so much for hosting us.

Best

Mark

PS several asked that I post the info on the DVD, it's Euro Format only and goes for about $15 on Amazon. Worth every penny IMHO.

Does anyone know the name of the Media Player we were using it seemed to perform well,

I usually use VLC for Vids and Media Monkey for my home NAS playback on a lap top.

You picked out some great music.  It took us a while to get things setup but it was well worth it. As far as , Morcheeba, I have Charango, Head Up High, and Fragments Of Freedom.

1 hour ago, oldred said:

Derrick,

Your hospitality was second to none...Thanks!

Your system ...One word...... WOW.

Your presentation on multiple sub calibration and setup was very informative.

It was great to have a chance to meet you and put a face with the name.  I enjoyed getting to know you.  I had met most of the other guys and a couple of gathering in the past.

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Everybody was fun to talk to and the demos were terrific.

I'm glad you made it Rob.  Although you are fairly new to forum, it is great to see you becoming more active on the forum and getting to know some of our Chicago area guys.

1 hour ago, Gnote said:

I though Atmos might be gimmicky but it reminded me of going from stereo playback of Movies to 5.1/7.1 I really liked it  !

This is one thing that is nice about these GTG'S.  We all get to experience things that a lot about on the internet but, don't have any place near to demo the new toy on the block.

56 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

the demo at 10hz was rattling my bones, it felt like an ultrasound

Well, it kinda is a ultrasound, lol.  Good to hear you had a good time.

Brandon, thanks for the offer to check out your RB 75's.  It was good to see you make it since you weren't sure if you could attend.

• Like 2

Mike M, thanks for the music download.  This will give me a bit extra to explore.  It worked out with you and James coming eary.  You guys had  a short demo that just was not possible once everyone was there..

You missed James L sub.  It was a HSU 12 in./2 ports for variable tuning.  That sub sounded terrific and for under $600, pretty impressive.

I wanted to post some pics from the gtg.  Somehow in the mix of things, most of the data on the SD card has been deleted.:(  Well, I am finally rested up after yesterday.  The day started with a great plan on the flow of the event and got a bit disorganized early.  My apology to the attendees.  We did not get to do the HD hi-rez audio vs mp3 files shootout as a large group.  Also, the subwoofer EQ presentation could have been given a bit more time.  The guys had some great questions.  All in all, I certainly had a great time and hope everyone else also did.

A few guys that arrived at 11AM did get a chance to compare the HD hi-rez files(FLAC) vs mp3's.  They thought both formats were equal in SQ and could not reliably tell the difference.  The music at the GTG's was a mixture of both format.  I almost forgot, we never had a chance to do the bass shakers in the seats in the room.

One thing that did happen was a bit funny was someone asked us the turn the HSU sub up at the event.  It was turned all the way up.  This happen at another GTG where a PSA 15 in. sub was at.  In fairness, a 12 in. HSU or any other ID small sub will sound a bit weak in a room with  huge subs.  The HSU had a nice finish and great build quality.  Also, the sub had great SQ.  People should check it out if they only need a small 12 inch sub.  One of the best in this size in my opinion offered by ID companies.

I thought the 12 HSU sub at ship price of $600.00 was quite a bargain. I thought the finish and build quality were great for that price.This is coming fro a guy who doesn't have any DIY

subs. The things that really impressed me at the GTG...... was the music

Mark really opened a whole other world to me ...George Winston and Hooverphonic were amazing. Sunday that's all I listened to. I still have to go through Marks list.

I definitely got to do that again.

Thanks,

G.E.M.

• Like 2

A presentation was done quick at the GTG on setting up subs for 2 ch or HT.  I have revised the flow sheet to include a little more info to make it easier to follow.  Read it over, ask questions and make suggestion.  I may ask Klipsch to make it a permanent sticky in the subwoofer section.

Subwoofer EQ Flow Sheet

Play the same tune

Level Matching :

• Use pink noise to set spl

• Level match to MLP

• Level match to distance X (useful for odd shape room or great distance)

Example set spl for each sub to 80 db at 4-6 ft. Auto-calibration will adjust final

trim level

• Do one sub at a time with other subs off. Avr should be in stereo mode

Set Distance:

• Set distance for each sub if using Mini DSP or I Nuke DSP amp, or similar gear

• If just using a avr, let is set the acoustical distance

• If subs are grouped, set distance average, Ex sub 1 10 ft, sub 2 6ft, avg=8 ft, repeat for sub 3 & 4, ect.

Phase:

• Start with sub 1 phase equal 0

• Shift between 0 and 180 and keep the one with the higher spl

• Add one sub at a time checking phase of 0-180 for each additional sub, keep the highest spl

Integrate with Mains:

• combined sub output 73-75 db, this may require adjust gain a second time

• Mains 75 db

• Do a frequency Response if possible looking at usual XO points

• All measurements done from MLP

• If HT with row, use the center for each row: this may give better results than multiple measurements for each row.

Next, run auto-calibration

Check integration

Do these 4 things one at and time and keep best result

1. Change Mains from Large to small/ck FR

2. Change XO up or down by no more than 20 Hz, Ex 60 Hz or 100 Hz for an 80 Hz XO, ck/FR

3. Change sub/s phase/ck FR(this is almost never need if done correctly earlier)

4. Change sub distance(never change more than 7 ft. or a 180 degree phase shift occurs)

Run Auto Calibration: (needed for changes from integration)

PEQ:

• Use no more than 3 filters if possible and it is possible

• PEQ: Gain, Frequency and Bandwidth or Q

• Use wide Q for boost, Ex Q=0.7

• Use narrow Q for cut, Ex Q= 6,7,8 etc.

• Match cuts to FR height and width. Ex 5 db peak at 60 Hz and with of peak is 55-65 Hz. Set a gain of +5 db and adjust Q to cover 55-65 Hz

Why only 3 filters? Auto-calibration has been done: don't mess it up to take advantage of Auddysee, MCACC, etc. The more PEQ done, problems can develop in the time domain, phase or standing wave correction in the room. Experiment and then test music and movie for SQ and system limits carefully. Above all else, know your gear and room!

GTG October, 8, 2016

by: derickdj1

Subwoofer Flow Sheet

Distances don't have to be precise, just close since the acoustical distance may not be the same

Frequency response  only needs to be 1/12 resolution(smoothing).  Raw frequency response and more detailed views will have you chasing to many peaks and dips.

Autoclibration programs differ even in the same family depending on the avr, so and understanding of you program is needed.

A presentation was done at the GTG and covered some things not mention in the flow sheet.  Here are some do's and don'ts when setting up the sub/s.

Setting mains to large is usually not recommended in the HT setting.

A global XO can be used even if the avr offers variable XO settings unless the speakers are grossly mismatched.

Setting the XO point to only 20 Hz above or below will keep the distortion level down on the main and increase their midrange performance.

This flow sheet can be used by REW and Omnimic users.  Multiple overlay typically done with REW may not be requried.  This flow setup sheet will achieve a good phase relationship at the XO and takes advantage of Minimum phase concept for the low bass.

Never do PEQ below the subs natural tuning point.