Chicago Members, It's Been a While

derrickdj1

Well, it's been a while since we have had a gathering.  I thought another get to gather would be fun and wanted to see if there is any interest.  We could check out some different type of amps, DAC's or, transports for audio.  Of course, if anyone wants to bring speakers, that is also OK.  A little food and music can make for a great afternoon.  Here are some available dates: Sept 17, Sept 24, Oct. 1 st or Oct.8th.

Addendum:  Post #28 and #31 contain the main iformation details and guest equipment list

Klipsch Chicago Area GTG

The GTG will be a great opportunity to just have some fun for all us Klipsch people in the area. I still need to do a few things to make a bit more room and get the place presentable. I am located 30-35 min. from downtown Chicago.

Post #28

GTG date: October, 8, 2016

Time: 11 AM – 6 PM

Two weeks prior to the gtg, I will give my cell number and address to the attendees. Also, easy direction for people not familiar with the area. If anyone is interested in selling any of their small gear, this can also be accommodated.

Every GTG does a speaker A/B shootout and everyone that I have read went poorly. It is just hard to do a strict A/B comparison, I've tried. One thing that I did think of was amps since a lot of the guys are into 2 ch systems and music. We can even do comparison of media, digital vs cd, vs vinyl, etc

I'm hoping to get my Omnimic back from Parts Express before the meet. A small presentation can be done on basic room measurements and  multiple subwoofer integration. If interested, just make a note in your post and we will do what the majority of folks want. Other topics could be tube amp setup, care, and benefits of Set, triode, pentode amps.  All this is open to interest.

I am hoping that some of you will help me out with the gtg. I can handle most of the basic setup but, additional gear would be great to demo. This includes amps, speakers, transports, ect. I will list the main gear that I will be providing.  I know a lot of the guys love the Heritage sound and I no longer have my Forte's so, any of the easy to transport Heritage speakers are welcome!

My Gear list:

Amplifiers: Acurus 200/Five, Berhinger I Nuke DSP amps, and Yaquin MC 13 S tube amplifier

Avr's: Pioneer SC Elite 35 and Pioneer Elite SC 99. These avr's have preouts and phono.

CD/BDP: Samsung BD F 7500 with 7.1 analog connections

Speaker system: RF 7 II system

Projector: Ben Q MH 680 with Elite Screen

Niles amplifiers Switcher

Asus note book and MyBook Live/computers: can be used has a music and video transport.

Extra: Demo of Dolby Atmos, LLT subwoofer and Tactile Transducers depending on interest and time.

The main objective is just to have a good time and share some fellowship.

Suggestions can be made for a bit of formal structure or we can keep it very casual. Some food and refreshments will be provided. If anyone has a good camera, brings it for a few mug shots:D to post up on our forum. Feel free to jump and help with planning this event.  I almost forgot, additional music is needed from all genres.

To all forum memebers out of the area, we can't help that, lol.:(:P:D

Post #31

Guest Equipment List For GTG:

Amplifiers:

Ampsound Stereo 15 special Edition tube amp-Jim

Manley Stingray tube amp-Tom

Speakers:

Forte-Tom

Subwoofers:

Table Tuba-Jason?

Lab 12 Horn sub-Gnote

HSU 15 in sub-JL

Transport/Music:

Some CD's and Video Music-Bubo

HTPC with Demo clips- Eng 399

HD digital Music- M M

Anyone need Special Interconnect for equipment hookup?

Presentation:

Subwoofer Room EQ for 2 Channel and HT:

The use of room measurements, DSP and Parametric EQ will be covered.

• Like 1

I know some of the guys have some nice tube amps.  I will have my new tube amp so we could try out some different tube amps or SS amp.  Now, I don't have a vinyl setup so if anyone was interestd, a TT and some vinyl records would be nice.  We will see how many people are interested and work on a good weekend to have the gtg.:)

I will add Oct. 8 th has a date also.

• Like 1

Steve you have an open invite anytime you are in the area.  The gtg's are a lot of fun.  Most of us know our system but, don't necessarily know how some other speakers, amps, DAC and subs sound.  The participation in the gtg's is what makes them great.  It is a good time to get around some Klipsch people and have an afternoon of fellowship and fun.

We have a place with the best deep dish pizza in the Chicago area.  Now I'm thinking of some food for the gtg's, lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jason str said:

That Table Tuba sub sounds much better placed near a wall or corner, last time it was just kind of set in front of other equipment all willy nilly like.

I have a wall kinda near a corner where we could set up the sub.  It still sounded great at Seth's gtg.  I think this will be a better setup for the TT sub and am looking forward to hearing it with music.

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Willy Nilly was there?  Dang, I didn't get to meet him....

If you could bring one of your nice tube amps, that would be a treat.  I am just now starting to get into a full tube amp.  I am sure some of you guys could teach me a thing or two.  Brandon had that nice McIntosh at the other gtg.  It would be interesting to just see how a couple of different type tube amps sound.  SET vs Triode or Pentode

I should have my push pull ultraliear tube amp by the time for the gtg.  We can even switch out tubes to see the effect of tube rolling.

Now that I am thinking about this, we can test out a couple of SS amps vs the avr.   This is a gtg where we can do what ever the groups wants. Open to all suggestion or if the group would prefer a format such as room EQ with Ominimic, placement of wall Tx's, difference between Atmos and DTS based HT, pro's and con's of subwoofer with 2 ch setup or compare a few different speakers.

16 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

If you could bring one of your nice tube amps, that would be a treat.  I am just now starting to get into a full tube amp.  I am sure some of you guys could teach me a thing or two.  Brandon had that nice McIntosh at the other gtg.  It would be interesting to just see how a couple of different type tube amps sound.  SET vs Triode or Pentode

I bought Brandon's MC240, which is what he auditioned last time I believe, so I won't bring that.  I'll figure something out.  I do still have the Ampsandsound Stereo 15 Special Edition if anyone would like to hear that again.  It's been awhile.  If someone wants to take it home with them, I could probably be persuaded to let it go.....Sounds to me like this is going to be a serious departure from our last few gtg's, with HT, Atmos and all of that crazy stuff now in the mix.....I'm thinkin' a good time is in store!

It's what ever the group wants.  We can focus on 2 ch or if someone wants to demo Atmos we can do that to.  It's really about hang'in loose and having fun.  It's bee some time but, the Ampsandsoud was well received as was Brandon's Mc amp.  It would be great to get some tube amps at the gtg.

I had my Yaquin there also.  It sounded good a moderate volume but, it did not handle the Cornwall 15 in. woofer well playing loud.  It was a great amp for the RF 7 and 7II's.  It sould be interesting to see how the different amps works with a few different speakers.