My custom built AR-XA

Jim

So I am getting the AR-XA table pictured in my profile built, and figured I'd upload a few pictures of the build. The table has taken about 8 weeks due to upgrades and weather. The 1st pic was how we were going to do it, as it was a one off. But I liked it so much I asked the builder to do a second one.

The changes I am doing are the arm will be the stock arm,but the tube will now be an S-Shaped SME type with Technics styled head shell. I am also attaching adjustable feet in order to level the table easier. It will also have a custom built cover and the plinth will be solid Tiger Maple wood.

This project is being done by Larry Spence out of Texas along with Marc Morin out of Ohio. Marc is redoing the arm and upgrading the bearings to sapphire as well as the suspension, and Larry is doing the plinth, all new wiring, caps, and everything else under the hood.

In the meantime, I picked up another XA table stock, and wound up meeting another table builder and known AR person, Steve Frosten. He will most likely help on the new addition table once this one is done and I can A/B them.

Anyone who knows AR tables may be familiar with these people, and I am lucky to have found them. Steve is actually 10 minutes from my house,so it makes for an easy get together on tweaks.

I know there are several on here that have had Larry make plinths for them, but this is some of the other work he does as well.

ar xa.jpgar outer 1.jpgar outer 2.jpgar outer 3.jpgar plinth.jpgar suspension 2.jpgar suspension 3.jpgar suspension.jpgar with cover.jpg

• Like 2

Fido,

I also just came across Steve Frosten who is another AR enthusiast. A friend of mine has "THE TURNTABLE" version and just had his replinthed. It has been at my house for awhile as I did a few things to it for him but Steve took it to a new level.

ar turntable.jpg

mkane,

It looks like the platter on the lower one was powder coated. Is that correct? And if so, did it make any sonic difference?

I see where Marc did the mod on the arm,I'm doing the same on my 1st XA. As you can see from the above photos, we are doing everything pretty much to the hilt. Your dark oak is beautiful.

On the 2nd XA, I'm torn on Steve taking it and having free range with it, or having Marc do it all.

By the way, which arm did Steve put on there? I'm contemplating switching out the arm as well,especially if Steve takes it. The good thing with him is that he's only 10 minutes from my house, so it makes for an easy thing.What carts are you using as well?

So Larry Spence who is doing the plinth and other work did a second plinth for his own build. I have the Blue and he has the Purple. Seeing the Purple though, makes me want to get my other table done in Purple now.

my plinth 2.jpg

my plinth.jpg

Jim, the arm on the unit Steve did is a Mission 774lc and is currently running a AT ART9. On the other AR I have a bevy of different cartridges that get rotated out thanks to the removable headshell. A few Grados, Shure V15/SAS, AT OC9II, Shure M91

Mike,

I remember him now talking to me about your table, not knowing of course it was you. The arm gave it away.

I'm contemplating doing a Grado or two, but am trying to figure out on how to set up a low output one. I may go the route of a Graham Slee step up ladder for one of the woody types.

How different do records sound on all of these highly modified turntables versus just a well functioning stock one? What might I be missing with my Dual 1229 Shure v15 type III, Project Phono Box RS, Yamaha 675 receiver, modded Klipsche Forte I and HSU subwoofer? I wish I could hear many different turntables with my exact setup in my living room but would appreciate any input from those that have tried so many different turntable setups in their own environment? Thanks in advance