Standard Residential Drop Ceiling Sound Reflection

bkervaski

1 hour ago, bkervaski said:

Hey guys,

In standard residential drop ceilings, is that material reflective?  I'm looking at the RP-140SA.  My home theater may move in the next couple years so didn't want to go with in-ceiling speakers (yet).

Thanks for any help!

If your drop ceiling is "Mineral Fiber" (most drop ceilings are) then no, it is not reflective. That material actually "absorbs" sound.

11 minutes ago, bkervaski said:

Hmm.  Any advice?

I think the only thing you would be able to really do is change out the ceiling tile to a plastic or metal type. Unfortunately, I haven't messed with Atmos speakers to tell you which material would be best.

I would go with in-ceiling speakers.  It's not like damaging walls and moving out.  All you would have to do before you move is replace 2 or 4 ceiling tiles.  These can be purchased at Homedepot for around $40 for a box.  I use in-ceiling in a basement with a drop ceiling.  The in-ceiling speakers can be purchased for less than the  price of the modules and I wish I would have done this years ago.

You can also get a beefier speaker for in-ceiling.  I went with 6 1/2 in. compared to 4 in.  Just a thought.  The in-ceiling would work with the standard tiles in the ceiling.  The speaker kit will have everything you need so, no additional cost other than running wire.

8 hours ago, bkervaski said:

I guess what I'm wondering is how much I'll loose with the Klipsch RP140SA and the ceiling tiles .. maybe I'll just replace 6 or 9 of the center tiles with something more "reflective".  I haven't done any room treatments but this seems easy.  Thoughts?

That should definitely help. Just make sure you get the right size tiles and pop the new ones in. Should be very easy.

Okay, so everything I've read and am reading says to dump the reflecting speakers and just install the ceiling speakers.  Was hoping to avoid that but now reconsidering.

Would the CDT-5650-C II's be a good match to accompany the following?

RP-160F x 2

RP-250C or RP-440C

RP-240S

R-112SW

Also .. in the ATMOS brief by Dolby, they commend that in-ceiling speakers be 2 times the ear height of the listener for proper dispersion .. otherwise they recommend the reflective speakers .. so with an 8 foot ceiling, that's about 1.25-1.5 times the height .. so confused on which way to go with these ..