Speaker/TV Placement Advice

Forensic

Hey everyone. I'm conflicted on how I should setup the speakers and TV in the pic below. So far I've considered:

1. Hang the TV on the wall (may be difficult with the wood paneling, it's solid cedar.) Also put the speakers on the wall on shelves and run the wire through the walls.

2. Leave the TV on the furniture and hang the center channel above the TV on the wall with the left and right speakers either on a shelf on the wall or on speaker stands. 

3. Purchase a different TV stand that had height adjustment so the center channel fits below it and put the left and right speakers on stands.

These are the three possible things I've considered so far. If it wasn't solid wood paneling I wouldn't even give hanging it on the wall a second thought but I really have no idea what I'd be in for with the wood. Any recommendations/advice would be great. Thank you! 

image.jpeg

Personally I would outboard those bookshelves to stands beside the entertainment center, and mount the TV on the wall just high enough to clear the center channel.  It's a bit cluttered and getting rid of the TV stand plus getting the bookshelves off the entertainment center would help with the look.  I'd also at least be getting an area rug to tame reflections.  

8 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Personally I would outboard those bookshelves to stands beside the entertainment center, and mount the TV on the wall just high enough to clear the center channel.  It's a bit cluttered and getting rid of the TV stand plus getting the bookshelves off the entertainment center would help with the look.  I'd also at least be getting an area rug to tame reflections.  

I definitely need to separate the bookshelves either to stands or a shelf because not only does it look cluttered but they're a little too close together. There is an area rug that's pretty large it just isn't in the picture, must've missed it by a few inches. 

Also I've considered building something to raise the TV but I feel that would make it too high without a tilting function.

23 minutes ago, Forensic said:

Also I've considered building something to raise the TV but I feel that would make it too high without a tilting function.

Mount it on the wall and you can keep it streamlined and at a minimal height.  Yes a box that the TV stand sits on will be significantly higher.  

That center is 6.8" tall.  Building a box and sitting the TV on top is going to raise the whole thing up around 8", give or take 1/4" or so dependong on whether it has a bottom.

Attaching it to the wall and taking the stand off, you could probably get away with more like 2" to 2.5".  

If you're worried about the height, you'd probably save 5" or more by doing this.  

I like the idea of mounting the tv on the wall and leaving the center close to where it is under the tv, but if the wood paneling ends up being tricky to mount the tv, it might be much easier and still provide a nice look and practical placement to build a stand to place the center above the tv.  If I went that route I would build a slight angle into the stand so that it points slightly down towards ear level.

I think if angled down towards the main listening position you would not notice a major difference.  But,  personally before drilling any holes,  i would grab a small ladder or something to temporarily place the speaker as close to possible to where you might end up mounting it and test it out.  That way you could tell if it produces a sound you don't like from that position before it's a permanent solution. 

20 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

@willland how did you feel when you moved the center off the wall and down to a normal height? 

Well, it really did sound good up on the shelf but a bit better under the TV.  As I mentioned to Youthman, when reclined, the RC-64 shoots right at my ears, when not reclined, more towards my upper chest.  I will eventually compromise and tilt it up a couple of degrees.

Bill

Not sure why your afraid to mount on the wall .  You could make mount that fastens to the cabinet and goes up higher and then mount tv to that . Then the center would sit under the TV on the cabinet. Don't forget Mono price is a good place to get a mount.