Atmos Experience

Cole C

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Klipsch, coming from Boston Acoustics, which I enjoyed for the time being, but wanted to bump it up a bit.  I am currently running a 5.1 setup and have been really intigued by the idea of atmos.  So I was wondering, who's out there using an atmos setup right now?  Are you using the modules to reflect the sound off the ceiling or are you using in celing speakers?  Also, what are your room dimensions (mostly curious about ceiling height, vaulted or not, etc.)  And finally and most importantly, what are your thoughts on atmos, are you enjoying it so far?  

When more content is available I will probably dig deeper into the atmos experience and decide if its worth it for me, but I just wanted to introduce myself and see what people were thinking about it so far.  

Cole

I didn't realize that they could convert to a "faux atmos".  That would be pretty cool of it worked out well.  Glad to hear there is quite a bit of content already.  I have only really looked into blu rays with atmos, and didn't see enough to get me there yet.

I am holding off for a bit on Atmos. I haven't even heard it yet, but for my AV money, getting my room right is the top priority. 

The last jump I took was 5.1 to 7.1 and it wasn't all that great. There are certainly two more rear channels there and it is noticeable, but after a couple years with it, I don't really even pay attention to weather or not it is 5.1 or 7.1. It really hasn't done all that much to enhance my listening experience so to speak. 

Atmos is still so brand new, I am planning on holding off to see if it sticks (my guess it that it will) and wait to really upgrade into it until Apple TV fully supports streaming atmos content.

• Like 1

I have recently converted to an Atmos system.  First, if you have been using a 5.1, 7.1 setup the movie experience is better than good enough.  Even if you convert to Atmos, a good percentage of movies are still DTS. 

With that said, the main difference  with Atmos will not be overhead sounds, that can happen but, it is not the major effect.  Atmos is more immersive in that the entire sound stage movies closer to you.  Do I like it, yes.  I also like the DTS tracks that will utilize 9 speakers in my system, a 7.X system with FH and SB speakers.  Atmos will also use 9 speakers, Mains, center, surrounds, SB and Tmd(top middle ceiling speakers).

I use in-ceiling speakers, FH and Tmd.  I don't have experience with the modules.  I went with larger 6 1/2 in. speakers to match the surrounds.  My surrounds and SB are also in-wall.  This sounds harder than just getting modules but, the installation is fairly easy.  A cutting template comes with the speakers and they have wall locks.  You just cut the wall or ceiling and screw the speaker in (4-6 screws).  The screw locks attack to the drywall so, no special anchors or the need to find a joist.  I think each on took around a 1/2 hour or less.

My setup is a 7.2.4 atmos system. I'm using the klipsch atmos enabled speakers rp-140sa. I love this setup. I have the denon avr-x6200w receiver which does atmos and dts:x immersive surround sound. This receiver actually does a decent job at upmixing regular content to immersive. We watched the original terminator on Blu-ray and we noticed content overhead when Arnold got sent back. During lion king on Blu-ray, we heard content overhead at appropriate times. My best Blu-ray with atmos is Roger Waters: The Wall. There is a lot of content in this, planes flying overhead, gun shots, explosions (yes this is a concert), and the crowd fills in with the atmos speakers. We just watched London is Fallen in dts:x, and there were some noticeable parts. It's not the ultimate game changer...yet, but I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like it has some fun benefits.  I still think I'll wait a bit before upgrading.   I'm currently pretty happy with my setup, but it's exciting to look forward to new ways to listen.